Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

14 hours ago, Piggy 1 said:

Tried Firehouse Subs at Kildonan Crossing today, was amazing. Subway doesn't come close.

Just wait until Jimmy Johns and Jersey Mikes get here. Subway will be an afterthought, nevermind Mr Sub that already is. Every time i walk by Mr Sub in Garden City Mall i get sad for their employees.

2 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Just wait until Jimmy Johns and Jersey Mikes get here. Subway will be an afterthought, nevermind Mr Sub that already is. Every time i walk by Mr Sub in Garden City Mall i get sad for their employees.

Haven't tried firehouse yet, and wasn't crazy for Jimmy John's, but if Jersey Mike's ever comes here (they eventually will- growing fast) Subway is dead to me.

Every time I cross the border with family or friends, I say I don't care where we eat as long at one stop is Jersey Mike's. So good!

42 minutes ago, itchy said:

Haven't tried firehouse yet, and wasn't crazy for Jimmy John's, but if Jersey Mike's ever comes here (they eventually will- growing fast) Subway is dead to me.

Every time I cross the border with family or friends, I say I don't care where we eat as long at one stop is Jersey Mike's. So good!

Theyre on their way! Jersey Mikes announced earlier this year that theyve got an agreement to open 300 stores across Canada by 2034

Firehouse is solid but theyll take a huge hit when Jimmy Johns and Jersey Mikes get here.

9 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Theyre on their way! Jersey Mikes announced earlier this year that theyve got an agreement to open 300 stores across Canada by 2034

Firehouse is solid but theyll take a huge hit when Jimmy Johns and Jersey Mikes get here.

I've had Jimmy Johns in the States several times and found it to be significantly worse then Subway and Quiznos.   It was extremely bland and on par with what you would get from a gas station sandwich.   Each time it was like 90% bun and lettuce with a tiny amount of meat and other toppings.  I think the sandwiches were also pre-made and they didn't allow for any customization.     Unless Firehouse drastically changes what they serve,   they won't see any impact at all.   

I have not tried Jersey Mikes,  will check it out if I'm back in the States this summer.   

the menu for jimmy johns, it doesn't look underwhelming but it doesn't look like they're anything that special

and looking at Press'd again, well they have Smoothies that's different, but they have a Freshii and a Booster Juice steps away

22 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I've had Jimmy Johns in the States several times and found it to be significantly worse then Subway and Quiznos.   It was extremely bland and on par with what you would get from a gas station sandwich.   Each time it was like 90% bun and lettuce with a tiny amount of meat and other toppings.  I think the sandwiches were also pre-made and they didn't allow for any customization.     Unless Firehouse drastically changes what they serve,   they won't see any impact at all.   

I have not tried Jersey Mikes,  will check it out if I'm back in the States this summer.   

Disagree on Jimmy Johns. Subway and Quiznos are dogshit in comparison. Not sure why you had such terrible experiences. Ive had Jimmy Johns quite a few times and found  the meat much more fresh and the sandwiches 10 times more flavorful.

44 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Disagree on Jimmy Johns. Subway and Quiznos are dogshit in comparison. Not sure why you had such terrible experiences. Ive had Jimmy Johns quite a few times and found  the meat much more fresh and the sandwiches 10 times more flavorful.

I went to at least three locations in three different states and they all look like these photos: 

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/jimmy-johns-corona

This pic below is the most accurate representation of what we had each time.   It was extremely bland,  reminded me of old Mr Sub.   Google searching jimmy john sandwiches you will see many similar to this (many much worse with more lettuce).  Now google searching Fire House subs and from the two times I have gone it was a very accurate representation where those sandwiches were comically large with how much they stuff in them.  

o.jpg

I'll give them a shot when they come here but will go in with low expectations.   

14 hours ago, Brandon said:

Worse than Quiznos? That cannot be possible.

Edited by MrFreakzilla
Auto

On 2024-05-14 at 8:40 PM, Brandon said:

I went to Kildonan Place the other day and noticed that the African restaurant has closed and is being replaced with a "Taste of Ukraine".   

ZR1bU7N.jpeg

I can confirm that Taste of Ukraine in KP is very good.    I had the meat lovers bowl on the left and I was beyond full.    My European wife can confirm that the cabbage rolls are legit and among the better ones she's ever had.       Next time I'll try the potato pancakes and the borscht soup.    

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

ZR1bU7N.jpeg

I can confirm that Taste of Ukraine in KP is very good.    I had the meat lovers bowl on the left and I was beyond full.    My European wife can confirm that the cabbage rolls are legit and among the better ones she's ever had.       Next time I'll try the potato pancakes and the borscht soup.    

Good to know it's open I was wondering about this place the other day, I will definitely be trying it out soon!

On 2024-05-29 at 8:08 AM, iHeart said:

Well Snak Trap is now closed I'll miss the stuff they had so now I'll have to make trips to WPF whenever I have a chance to get there

and I went today they told me that a good chunk of their inventory has been going to the Transcona location these days (I went to Henderson) bought some baking mixes something showed up that was on my wish list (no it's not the spray cheese, it's actually Dolly Parton's biscuit mix but it looks complicated to make)