2017 NHL Off Season

Rich

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

NHL.com

WINNIPEG - Dmitry Kulikov had never been a free agent at any point in his career, and he thought the process would take a lot longer than it did.

But the Winnipeg Jets wouldn't let that happen.

"From the time I started talking to them, I felt in my gut that I think Winnipeg is the right fit for me, and I should be a Jet," Kulikov said via a conference call from Boca Raton, Florida.

"Looking at the roster and the players that we have, it's an impressive group."

The 26-year-old from Lipetsk, Russia put his name to a three-year contract with an average annual value of $4,333,333 on Saturday, just hours after the NHL's Free Agency period opened up.

But it wasn't only Jets General Manager Kevin Cheveldayoff and management making the pitch to the left-handed defenceman. Captain Blake Wheeler and Mark Scheifele had a little something to do with it as well.

"I know Scheifele from a couple summers ago. I trained with him in Canada. I skated with Wheeler this summer a couple times," Kulikov said. "They played a big role in my decision. They pretty much sold me on Winnipeg and talking about how good the team is and how good the guys are in the locker room."

Kulikov has played in 507 career NHL games, scoring 30 goals and 143 points during that time. The majority of those came over seven seasons with the Florida Panthers between 2009 and 2016.

And the money didn't hurt...?

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I'm sure he's being truthful about Scheifele and Wheeler but it's tough to take these articles seriously... I'm sure he took the biggest salary and term that was being offered to him and that's why he's here.

True but whenever there is a feel good story or feel good comments, there are always people who say "what else is he going to say".  I'd prefer to take it at face value.  He is under no obligation to say anything.  I'd prefer to believe he isnt just lying.  Sometimes players choose the best fit, regardless of money.  Sometimes they have multiple offers with similar money and it comes down to fit, best chance to win, team mates etc.

Either way, he specifically singled our two of our leaders as reasons that positively influenced his decision to come here.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

McDavid gets $100M over 8 years.

$12.5M AAV.

Definitely more reasonable than the 13.25M that was originally being tossed around.  It's obviously a high salary but he is the best player in the league and should be paid as such.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Thats better than $14 million.  Gives the Oilers a bit more money to play with.

Agreed. It will hurt a lot less in the back half of this contract, when, presumably, the salary cap goes up.

you know it kind of makes me wonder how much Laine will be worth once his ELC runs out I mean I imagine they'll probably pay him alot of money to keep playing for us (like between 50-100mil ish) but then again let's see how he does for throughout the rest of his contract

3 minutes ago, iHeart said:

you know it kind of makes me wonder how much Laine will be worth once his ELC runs out I mean I imagine they'll probably pay him alot of money to keep playing for us (like between 50-100mil ish) but then again let's see how he does for throughout the rest of his contract

Impossible to say right now, this next season will reveal more.  But I'd expect that 8 years at 10M/year is not out of the question if he is looking like a 40 goal/80 point kind of guy.

Ehlers, Lowry, Trouba, Morrissey and Armia are all going to be RFAs after this season.  And Laine the year after that.  Lots of money to be paid out.  The seven-year rebuild is going to start looking pretty hollow if we can't afford to keep the guys we've developed.

well I can easily see Ehlers sticking around everyone else is a big if, yes Trouba included. I mean after Schiefs ELC ran out they paid him how much to stay here for 8 years? like somewhere in the 40 mil range? like the same amount that the Bruins reportedly offered to Trouba?

2 minutes ago, iHeart said:

well I can easily see Ehlers sticking around everyone else is a big if, yes Trouba included. I mean after Schiefs ELC ran out they paid him how much to stay here for 8 years? like somewhere in the 40 mil range? like the same amount that the Bruins reportedly offered to Trouba?

Scheifele's contract is looking like one of the best bargains in the league.  Because he signed before he really broke out this year.

We may not have that luxury with others.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

I'm sure he's being truthful about Scheifele and Wheeler but it's tough to take these articles seriously... I'm sure he took the biggest salary and term that was being offered to him and that's why he's here.

Best part is it's exact same term and money as his previous contract. And Mason's AAV is the same as his previous contract, too. But a shorter term.

It'd be nice to know what other teams had offered to both of them.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

Best part is it's exact same term and money as his previous contract. And Mason's AAV is the same as his previous contract, too. But a shorter term.

It'd be nice to know what other teams had offered to both of them.

Yes that important.  Neither got raises in free agency.  That doesnt mean they arent bad...if their previous teams over-paid.  But I dont think/

Reading and hearing more about Kulikov, he was a very good D man for Florida who had a bad injury last year.  Jets clearly think he can get back to his Florida days.

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Jets will pay.  The question wont be if they can pay but whether they can afford to keep everyone under the cap.

They really will need the Wheeler & Little replacements sooner rather than later

well isn't Schief or Buff (though likely Schief) next in line to be captain since they both wear the A's?

Edited by iHeart

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Wheeler Im not worried about as he's a winger and we have talented wingers.  But Little as 2C, we need someone to step up.

Scheif will be the next Captain or Trouba.

Trouba will never be captain here or anywhere.

Yes, I'd like to keep Little in the fold.  We do not have anyone in development right now who will be ready to take on the 2C role by the end of Little's deal.  It does no good to pay two wingers 8M+ and have no depth down the middle.

18 minutes ago, iHeart said:

are you saying that you don't have to be wearing a A to be promoted to captain that easily, wait dumb question McDavid didn't wear an A did he?

I'm sure having an 'A' factors into it but it's not a necessary requirement in getting a 'C' on one's jersey. Captaincy factors in numerous elements of a player: leadership, skill, attitude, etc.

8 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Trouba will never be captain here or anywhere.

Yes, I'd like to keep Little in the fold.  We do not have anyone in development right now who will be ready to take on the 2C role by the end of Little's deal.  It does no good to pay two wingers 8M+ and have no depth down the middle.

Jets will have to extend Little just due to lack of anyone else ready to take over.

They do have Little and Trouba and Matthias coming off after this year.

The year after is Myers and Wheeler.  Will have some decisions to make for sure.