Bombers interested in bringing a Soccer Team to Winnipeg?

I am not a soccer fan. But comparing the Fury attendance to anything today is a fools game. Soccer's popularity in Canada has grown in leaps and bounds since the late 80's early 90's. Even out here in Regina on a nice day go to the University and see 2 full fields of people playing from morning to night and with that there is always people waiting to get on the field. It is the same at the park by my house.

6 minutes ago, Engelwood said:

I am not a soccer fan. But comparing the Fury attendance to anything today is a fools game. Soccer's popularity in Canada has grown in leaps and bounds since the late 80's early 90's. Even out here in Regina on a nice day go to the University and see 2 full fields of people playing from morning to night and with that there is always people waiting to get on the field. It is the same at the park by my house.

People looking for something to do in Regina... Well, I'm surprised

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Seems an odd topic for the football section if True North owns it ;-)

I don't think it is yet confirmed True North will own it.  And if you look at the first post, the story broke by Ed Tait on the Bomber site 2 days ago.  So hardly a stretch to go into the Bomber forum.

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

I don't think it is yet confirmed True North will own it.  And if you look at the first post, the story broke by Ed Tait on the Bomber site 2 days ago.  So hardly a stretch to go into the Bomber forum.

I think you missed the winkie-face, sir..........definitely not a TNSE project.....

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Interesting to hear.  Did see it on another forum that TNSE was rumored to be involved.

Bombers sent out a presser about it....no mention of TNSE anywhere. I think some people just assume they are the only ones capable of running sports teams...

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Bombers sent out a presser about it....no mention of TNSE anywhere. I think some people just assume they are the only ones capable of running sports teams...

I cant say for sure but the speculation I saw was based off of some sort of wording (maybe it was the Bombers presser or someone elses) that referred to working with other groups to make it a reality and that got people assuming it was another ownership group and True North would be the first to come to mind.  Especially because TN and the Bombers collaborate on other projects already.

The True North involvement is interesting speculation.

My initial reaction was ... I'd have no problems if True North was somehow involved in the project if only to mitigate some of the risk to the club, 

I don't know how much of an initial cash outlay is required to setup a league like this, but if TN were involved as a minority owner to help with that initial buy in cost, it would help mitigate the financial risk to the club.

But then I was really thinking about it, other then investment money, what else would True North contribute that the Bombers don't already do?  

The Bombers already have their own marketing and ticket sales departments.  Seems to be more synergies packaging Bomber tickets with Soccer tickets.  Like buy season tickets to both and if you buy a parking pass to the Bombers, get your parking pass to soccer free.

Bombers already have and own the arrangements with the food vendors.

7 hours ago, Engelwood said:

It was the same 30 years ago. Lots of people played soccer, especially the little kids who in the spring are on the fields everywhere. I just remember the Canadian Soccer League being a total failure even though thousands played the game. My question is why does the CFL want to take on the risk & become involved in a new Canadian soccer league? Some teams can barely pay their bills now. I don't understand the logic for the CFL to become involved here. The CFL needs (based on all the empty seats in every stadium) to grow the game of Canadian football, not soccer.

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It was the same 30 years ago. Lots of people played soccer, especially the little kids who in the spring are on the fields everywhere. I just remember the Canadian Soccer League being a total failure even though thousands played the game. My question is why does the CFL want to take on the risk & become involved in a new Canadian soccer league? Some teams can barely pay their bills now. I don't understand the logic for the CFL to become involved here. The CFL needs (based on all the empty seats in every stadium) to grow the game of Canadian football, not soccer.

It's hard to understand?  The WFC operate a stadium that has about 350 open dates per year. They need to fill dates and make money.  They aren't just a football club, they are operating a facility.

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

My question is why does the CFL want to take on the risk & become involved in a new Canadian soccer league?

I wasn't aware the CFL was involved. As far as I know there is an ownership group in Hamilton that is involved but that's the only connection I can find. 

But, really why not get involved in a new league? Soccer fans have a passion that rivals hockey and football in this country. The Bombers are wise to check out a situation that might help them pay bills by filling as many open dates in the Stadium as possible.

Revenue. 

People want to see the IGF financial situation improve. This is just another way to achieve that goal ?. 

Nothing ventured....

12 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It's hard to understand?  The WFC operate a stadium that has about 350 open dates per year. They need to fill dates and make money.  They aren't just a football club, they are operating a facility.

CFL teams aren't money making machines. As I said, not every team makes hundreds of thousands in profits. Having to extend themselves operating a brand new league with such a thin bottom line doesn't make business sense to me. How many fans do they expect to show up? Twenty thousand? They'll be lucky to attract 5,000 a game into their stadiums. Like I said, the CFL really needs to concentrate on growing the CFL game in their own cities. Winnipeg averaged 22-23,000 in a 33,000 seat stadium, Montreal's attendance is dropping. Toronto is a frigging wasteland. BC Place has the second tier of seats curtained off. On tv, the Lions games look like they're playing in a closet, The atmosphere at BC Place looks bloody awful. Calgary is stagnating & after blowing the Grey Cup the way they did will be lucky to average 24,000 in a 35,000 seat stadium. Edmonton plays now in a half empty CWS. So sure, ignoring attendance issues with 7 of the 9 CFL but teams spending money growing the game of soccer while game day attendance drops make absolutely no sense to me.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Just now, Mr Dee said:

I wasn't aware the CFL was involved. As far as I know there is an ownership group in Hamilton that is involved but that's the only connection I can find. 

But, really why not get involved in a new league? Soccer fans have a passion that rivals hockey and football in this country. The Bombers are wise to check out a situation that might help them pay bills by filling as many open dates in the Stadium as possible.

Revenue. 

People want to see the IGF financial situation improve. This is just another way to achieve that goal ?. 

Nothing ventured....

Yep, this is a league initiative. I may be in the minority here but the CFL has plenty of issues they need to address first. Starting up a soccer league & diverting league funds into this is a mistake.

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yep, this is a league initiative. I may be in the minority here but the CFL has plenty of issues they need to address first. Starting up a soccer league & diverting league funds into this is a mistake.

A league initiative?

The overhead for this league is going to be extremely low and most of it will be footed by the CSA.  Like the highest paid player will make $10,000 a season.  Don't jump off the deep end.

I still haven't seen where the CFL  is involved.

"Plans for a Canadian Premier League were approved by the country's soccer leaders this weekend, with founding cities announced for Hamilton and Winnipeg.

The league was officially unveiled at the Canadian Soccer Association's annual meeting, which also saw Steve Reed elected as president.

Though only two teams were initially revealed, Canada Soccer said they have heard from 10 cities interested in joining an all-Canadian league, with aims to begin playing as early as 2018."

http://www.espnfc.us/canada/story/3122014/plans-for-new-canadian-premier-league-approved

15 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

In places like Vancouver and Toronto where there is 1) A struggling CFL team 2) A large immigrant population that loves soccer (but not football), why not give this a try.  I suspect that they've actually done some market research and see potential.  Why would you deny them the opportunity to maybe make a dollar or two?

Just now, WBBFanWest said:

In places like Vancouver and Toronto where there is 1) A struggling CFL team 2) A large immigrant population that loves soccer (but not football), why not give this a try.  I suspect that they've actually done some market research and see potential.  Why would you deny them the opportunity to maybe make a dollar or two?

I'm not denying anything. It's the CFL's decision & they can do what they want. I just think it's a mistake. We are having a discussion here.

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm not denying anything. It's the CFL's decision & they can do what they want. I just think it's a mistake. We are having a discussion here.

Curious to know why you think it's a mistake.  Is that what your market research tells you or is this just a "don't like new things" thing?

7 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I still haven't seen where the CFL  is involved.

"Plans for a Canadian Premier League were approved by the country's soccer leaders this weekend, with founding cities announced for Hamilton and Winnipeg.

The league was officially unveiled at the Canadian Soccer Association's annual meeting, which also saw Steve Reed elected as president.

Though only two teams were initially revealed, Canada Soccer said they have heard from 10 cities interested in joining an all-Canadian league, with aims to begin playing as early as 2018."

http://www.espnfc.us/canada/story/3122014/plans-for-new-canadian-premier-league-approved

Surprised you missed this...

http://3downnation.com/2017/05/08/cfl-teams-play-big-role-new-canadian-soccer-league/

3 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Curious to know why you think it's a mistake.  Is that what your market research tells you or is this just a "don't like new things" thing?

Scroll up a few posts so I don't have to say it all over again... Again, my OPINION. You certainly like to tell us yours.

Edited by SpeedFlex27