Kahlen Branning

Mike

http://3downnation.com/2017/05/01/saskie-native-kahlen-branning-heading-to-mini-camp-with-detroit/

The key part for those who don't feel like clicking ...

Winnipeg added Branning to their negotiation list shortly after that NFL regional, meaning the Bombers control his CFL rights.

What happens to a guy that he goes from being undrafted in the 2015 (the article has the wrong year, his draft year was 2015) CFL Draft to getting mini-camp invites to the NFL this year?

Branning ran a 4.53 at the regional combine and now runs a 4.47? Nice improvement too. I wonder how this kid developed, because it sounds like he's easily somebody we could see in camp.

From what I understand, in his draft year he weighed a generous buck seventy with a frame that made Jade Etienne look like Hulk Hogan in comaparison. Basically he hadn't filled out. Now he is a buck eighty...still small but starting to get into the realm of professional football weight.

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Why?  He's still younger than Loffler and Morgan...

He is young and has the up side time will tell. For this year we have a pretty deep defensive backfield assuming new guys from last year continue to produce. Next year in football epecially the cfl is like 10 years from now in human years who knows. :lol:

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

I just don't think he has the speed and that's one thing that experience can't teach.  Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see it happening.

The one thing morgan doesnt lack is game speed. 

Edited by wbbfan

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The one thing morgan doesnt lack is game speed. 

I don't think we ever see Morgan starting either.  I'd like to see us draft Dondre Wright if possible because I think he would be an upgrade over both Jones and Morgan.

10 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I don't think we ever see Morgan starting either.  I'd like to see us draft Dondre Wright if possible because I think he would be an upgrade over both Jones and Morgan.

Dunno this is a team that once started dave donaldson. Im not writing it off but im not betting on it atm either. You can never have enough NI dbs. With the leaps and bounds NI talent is improving with each year thats true of all positions i guess. Branning here looks pretty good, i wouldnt go after wright with either first. We would benefit a lot more from a wr, dl, lb or ol in the first. After that bpa imop. Wright does look good though. 

Just now, Atomic said:

I just don't think he has the speed and that's one thing that experience can't teach.  Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see it happening.

Speed to burn - 4.5ish at combine I think

Faster than Morgan

48 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Speed to burn - 4.5ish at combine I think

Faster than Morgan

morgan was also 4.5 and plays faster then his 40.  Im not holding my breath on either stealing any starting jobs any time soon but im happy to have the depth makes for great competition. 

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

morgan was also 4.5 and plays faster then his 40.  Im not holding my breath on either stealing any starting jobs any time soon but im happy to have the depth makes for great competition. 

As long as Loffler stays healthy unlikely they will entertain the idea of another Natl. in the secondary.  They could become competent defenders but neither seems to be the play-maker type the Bombers look for in the backfield.

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Everyone excited about Wright...  his numbers really don't match up to Thibault, Pruneau, Jones, Morgan...

Flavour of the month...

It's not about the numbers.  Kris Robertson ran a 4.4 and he's not even employed.  Wright started at safety for 2 years in the NCAA div 2 and was great at the combine.  He's exactly what we need to back up Loffler.  If Loffler goes down now, we're putting an American in his place.  With Wright, we might not have to.

Even at 210 pounds he ran a 4.6 and had the second best shuttle time.  Agile, physical, and experienced.  That's why people are excited.

5 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

As long as Loffler stays healthy unlikely they will entertain the idea of another Natl. in the secondary.  They could become competent defenders but neither seems to be the play-maker type the Bombers look for in the backfield.

I hate to tempt fate, but I gotta point out that Loffler has a bit of an injury history.  Those smooth-striding legs have been rebuilt a few times.

23 hours ago, Atomic said:

It's not about the numbers.  Kris Robertson ran a 4.4 and he's not even employed.  Wright started at safety for 2 years in the NCAA div 2 and was great at the combine.  He's exactly what we need to back up Loffler.  If Loffler goes down now, we're putting an American in his place.  With Wright, we might not have to.

Even at 210 pounds he ran a 4.6 and had the second best shuttle time.  Agile, physical, and experienced.  That's why people are excited.

Waggoner could be a candidate as well. He was a S in college and BC was going to sign him as such. Similar size, similar skill set, similar background as well. Loffler is all here comes the boom though, and havent seen that yet from waggoner. Imop at this moment he would be our best NI option at S. That or He takes the spot of Mo and Mo goes back to S. If fogg had the discipline and  sense for he would be great at S. Crazy fast play maker  able to just play center field and make stuff happen. He had enough issues covering at DB though. 

On 5/3/2017 at 1:13 PM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Pretty much. 

Edited by wbbfan

3 minutes ago, johnzo said:

I hate to tempt fate, but I gotta point out that Loffler has a bit of an injury history.  Those smooth-striding legs have been rebuilt a few times.

He does, and hes one of our most physical players. But its football. Go down the line and you will see more knee, and and shoulder surgery scars on the roster then TDs in a record year. I would worry more about guys who avoid contact getting hurt then those who initiate. 

• 2 weeks later...