Game 45 : The Howling @ Bark At The Moon

Well, when you think about it... they are in a rebuild, it just started maybe last year or the year prior but if you really break it down...

Guys who have basically just joined the big club this year or last so NHL ROOKIE AND SOPHOMORES

- Helle,Morrissey,Ehlers,Laine,Petan,Copp

Guys who are starting to come in to their own but still not really veterans

-Scheif,Trouba,Lowry,Armia

They are in a rebuild. 

3 hours ago, JCon said:

It's time to fire Maurice and bring in who, exactly?

At this point, if he's lost the room, who knows, it doesn't matter who you bring in. It's a new voice. 

There really are 2 options here... 1. Fire Maurice. 2. Make a huge trade involving a couple veteran players and go full in with your youth rebuild that has kind of just started or really, still in the early stages of development. 

13 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Its a dead horse... but Frolik and Stempniak instead of Burmi and Stafford make this team better.  A free agent 6th D who is not named Brian Strait probably does too.

Stempniak we could have re-signed but Frolik was not signing here so this is akin to making the argument that Crosby would make this team better if we had him over Thorburn.

14 minutes ago, Goalie said:

At this point, if he's lost the room, who knows, it doesn't matter who you bring in. It's a new voice. 

There really are 2 options here... 1. Fire Maurice. 2. Make a huge trade involving a couple veteran players and go full in with your youth rebuild that has kind of just started or really, still in the early stages of development. 

Just wondering if you think standing pat or maybe upgrading the backup and 3rd pair D is an option? Buff and Enstrom have no-trade clauses and Wheeler has a modified NTC as does Stu. I don't know about MP or Little. Myers doesn't have a NMC.

7 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Just wondering if you think standing pat or maybe upgrading the backup and 3rd pair D is an option? Buff and Enstrom have no-trade clauses and Wheeler has a modified NTC as does Stu. I don't know about MP or Little. Myers doesn't have a NMC.

Of course it's an option but... it's minor.  I'm not in the room... none of us are but there appears to be somewhat of a divide or I dunno going on in there. 

Upgrading your 3rd pair D and backup goalie is great but if the problem really does lie deeper(it just might) then really you're ignoring the actual problems.  

I don't know if the vets are a problem... no clue... but if they are... how is upgrading your 3rd pair D or backup goalie solve that.  It doesn't 

You don't think a guy like enstrom with his fiancee having cancer wouldn't like to perhaps be out east where it's probably easier to get a plane ride to Sweden?  Or he wants a chance tO win a cup? NTC or limited ones... if a guy wants to win and not be part of the rebuild... move them. If not... then the only option really is to fire Maurice.  

I'm not sure that's the right option despite what I've said before because he would be the 2nd coach the veterans tuned out. 

Edited by Goalie

I just think having someone on the 3rd that isn't a liability that they have confidence in would allow them to play Buff less. Buff needs to start playing smarter. I would love to see Trouba get even more time. He's playing like a 1D most games.

I think Chevy shakes things up before he fires Maurice and firing him now is wrong. I wouldn't be too mad if Chevy included any combination of the following in  a trade...MP, Copp, Petan, Staf, Matthias, Thorbs, Enstrom, Myers, Buff, Postma, Chiarot, Dano or Tanev. Of course the return would be larger if we traded Buff or MP but these are players I wouldn't cry about if they were traded provided the return was fair. I'm not saying trade every one of our younger guys either. Teams like Philly and the Ducks have some prospect on the D that they might be willing to part with.

For example (just an example Floyd), Streit is reportedly healthy enough to play this weekend but Philly is in major doo doo with their salary cap. I wonder what they would give up if the Jets took Streit off of their hands for them. Maybe Hagg and Streit or Sanheim and Streit for what? He is making 5.25m AAV and is an UFA after this season and his actual salary is 4m. I don't think the price would be too steep for Hagg (rather pay more and get Sanheim) and he could finish the year on the farm while Streit stabilizes the 3rd pair. Something like that.

I think Chevy and Maurice had a deal that they were going to go young and live with the results and growing pains. I can't remember which but either Chevy or Maurice said the decision to really go young started with allowing Ehlers to stay with the team and not go back down.

Maybe watch the future in these games (scheif Lowry Armia ehlers Laine Morrissey Trouba maybe. Helle) and what I see is tons of talent and skill but not getting much help from the past if you will.

Those trades do nothing tho to help them. Philly won't trade Sanheim.   

Edited by Goalie

The Coyotes are 1-8-1 in their last 10 games and haven't played in 5 games. There are no gimmes in pro sports but the Jets should win this one handily. I'm looking for Ehlers and Scheif to have big games and hope Trouba has another strong game. Erase the loss the other night from their memories and go out and beat up on AZ.

edit ... is Domi a healthy scratch?

Edited by Ducky

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Well, when you think about it... they are in a rebuild, it just started maybe last year or the year prior but if you really break it down...

Guys who have basically just joined the big club this year or last so NHL ROOKIE AND SOPHOMORES

- Helle,Morrissey,Ehlers,Laine,Petan,Copp

Guys who are starting to come in to their own but still not really veterans

-Scheif,Trouba,Lowry,Armia

They are in a rebuild. 

I'm guessing you could put a lot of teams in that category by looking at the changes they've made over the last 2-3 years.

When is it tinkering and when is it a rebuild? What number of changes determines that? Very subjective and up for interpretation for sure.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Stempniak we could have re-signed but Frolik was not signing here so this is akin to making the argument that Crosby would make this team better if we had him over Thorburn.

If you are going to make claims like this, then please cite the source where Frolik publicly said I don't want to be a Jet...  he signed a one year bridge deal to stay - why didn't he just leave then?  

If Chevy would have offered the term and $$ Frolik wanted the first time, his contract would probably be expiring in two years...  we'll never know.  But you can't just say - oh he didn't want to stay, end of conversation.

So its nothing like saying Crosby would be better than Thorburn, quit distorting the conversation.

Edited by Floyd

7 hours ago, Atomic said:

Pascal Vincent is probably at or near the top of the list

Nooo!

6 hours ago, Goalie said:

Probably be Kompon...

Noooooooo!

5 hours ago, iHeart said:

is Hartley a coach?

Yes. Was fired by Calgary unfairly I thought.

5 hours ago, Ducky said:

Someone said Myers is at a minimum 10 days away but more likely 14 days. He's barely skating.

Won't see him till after all-star break at this point.

5 hours ago, Floyd said:

Mike Yeo is the heir apparent in St Louis...

Already getting a paycheck ain't he :)

4 hours ago, Goalie said:

interesting little snippet from an article by Peter Tessier, who is a blogger of sorts. 

So what happens tonight in Glendale?

Something wonderful.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

If you are going to make claims like this, then please cite the source where Frolik publicly said I don't want to be a Jet...  he signed a one year bridge deal to stay - why didn't he just leave then?  

If Chevy would have offered the term and $$ Frolik wanted the first time, his contract would probably be expiring in two years...  we'll never know.  But you can't just say - oh he didn't want to stay, end of conversation.

So its nothing like saying Crosby would be better than Thorburn, quit distorting the conversation.

He wasn't a UFA then was he?

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

He had no choice but to sign the bridge because he was an RFA.   The fact that deal was only a one year deal and not long term says a lot about him not wanting to be here. 

Also wide spread rumours his wife did not like Winnipeg.  Happy wife happy life  

When he did sign in Calgary, most people were surprised at the cap hit he signed for (lower then fans here expected) and would have been happy to have him for that price. 

The Jets could have easily given Frolik the money he is making now.  Money could have gone to him that rather went to Stafford or Perrrault.  

Do the math and it tells me he didn't want to be here.  

Or you can choose to criticize Chevy for the unlikely decision that he didn't want Frolik and rather then trading him in that final year decided to lose him for nothing and not make a competitive offer.