Game 45 : The Howling @ Bark At The Moon

Probably be Kompon if Maurice is canned. Doubt he will be mid season but a couple more stinkers like last game could change things. Honestly tho when Noel was fired... Maurice was kind of an out of left field hire.... meaning didn't see Maurice coming in. 

I doubt Maurice is fired mid season tho unless things really do go bad the next several games. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Laine on Injured Reserve.  Assume he's out a bit longer than hoped for.

It's retroactive to Jan 7th tho so it means very little. Melchiori being called up is more interesting in my opinion.... not because he's good but because that probably means Chiarot is injured or sick or benched. 

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

It's retroactive to Jan 7th tho so it means very little. Melchiori being called up is more interesting in my opinion.... not because he's good but because that probably means Chiarot is injured or sick or benched. 

Stuart and Thorburn back on the roster...  Stafford on top line...  should go on a 'run' now.

8 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Probably be Kompon if Maurice is canned. Doubt he will be mid season but a couple more stinkers like last game could change things. Honestly tho when Noel was fired... Maurice was kind of an out of left field hire.... meaning didn't see Maurice coming in. 

I doubt Maurice is fired mid season tho unless things really do go bad the next several games. 

I recall Lawless reported that one of the deciding factors in firing Noel was Chevy talking to Maurice.  He wanted Maurice all along and once he knew he could get him, he canned Noel.

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Coaches Latvia.

Hartley

Yeo

Dave Cameron

Sheldon Keefe

Ron Wilson

Dallas Eakins

All potential HC replacements.  (I found the list online - Im no coach expert).

Keefe is the only one who could potentially be an upgrade on Maurice, but personally I think he's overrated simply because he's in Toronto... the Marlies coach is always touted by the media as the 'next big thing'.  The rest make me barf in my mouth.

I'd be more likely to look at a guy like Kevin Dineen (assistant in Chicago) or Gerard Gallant (unemployed, centre of controversy in Florida earlier this season).

interesting little snippet from an article by Peter Tessier, who is a blogger of sorts. 

So what happens tonight in Glendale? What team shows up? It's anybodies guess but Paul Maurice gave a good quote yesterday when asked why there was no punishment or bag skate yesterday at practice before they left for warmer climates. "I didn't want them to have an excuse if they don't play well". 

That is an interesting response and perhaps a point where the coach is clearly saying that this lies on them, not me/us. If there is an excuse it's something the players have to identify and own and if Maurice has the backing of his GM and owner then times surely could get interesting in Winnipeg if another egg or two is laid in the same fashion as Wednesday

So maybe The Veteran players are the problem? I don't know. Also in other news, Chiarot is day to day with an upper body injury (stayed in Winnipeg)

I've said it before, I don't want Maurice to be fired, I hope he's here a long long time, I do think some changes need to happen to the coaches tho (Flaherty and Huddy have been here since year 1) (they probably need to be replaced this off-season) I also think that there is the real possibility that a few of our veteran players ( not gonna bother to guess who, but.. we only have so many) are perhaps part of the problem and if that's the case, perhaps it's time to move on from a couple of these vets (the ones who have been here since day 1). (Wheeler,Buff,Little,Toby,Stu,Thor) (those are the guys, i don't see Thor or Stu being issues, or Little for that matter but who knows, Buff? Maybe he is an issue, but he's not going to go anywhere, would they move the captain?? i dunno) 

Edited by Goalie

I agree with @Goalie

I like Maurice and want him to be successful.  But barring a re-build, its the coach who pays the price.  I dont think Wheeler, Buff or Little are issues or going anywhere.  Wheeler plays his heart out.  If anyone is an issue, maybe Buff but he seems like a non-factor as far as setting bad examples or causing issues.  And players have said he's great at lightening the mood when needed.  Its also not to be forgotten that even though Kane pissed everyone off and wanted out of Winnipeg since Day 1, it was Buff who finally decided enough was enough.

I think it's systems and how they're coached.  Maurice might be fine.  But Im not sure he is.  Not yet. But I agree about Wade and Huddy.  Two areas that have been constant issues and shown no improvement since day one.  Time for a change.

Its a dead horse... but Frolik and Stempniak instead of Burmi and Stafford make this team better.  A free agent 6th D who is not named Brian Strait probably does too.

That being said, Buff is playing too many minutes.  Enstrom is over-matched and playing too many minutes.  Ehlers, Petan, Trouba and Morrissey are still being under-utilized.

Maurice is old school - 'earn' your spot, he's not growing with the NHL.  He has his vets' backs, he expected them to have his and they don't.

Edited by Floyd