The Expansion Draft

Ducky

1 minute ago, Rich said:

If they can keep this under wraps, more power to them.  I love the idea of keeping the friggen trades a secret too!  So on June 21st, they announce not just the player selections but possibly a slew of trades?  Tremendous! 

But guys like Dreger and Bob Mac will be working Overtime to sniff out trades.  Surely you have to tell the players and then they tell their families etc (cause what do they care about the NHL making a TV splash?) and it gets out.  The PA might leak it too.  But if it all stays quiet, that will be must see TV...

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If they can keep this under wraps, more power to them.  I love the idea of keeping the friggen trades a secret too!  So on June 21st, they announce not just the player selections but possibly a slew of trades?  Tremendous! 

But guys like Dreger and Bob Mac will be working Overtime to sniff out trades.  Surely you have to tell the players and then they tell their families etc (cause what do they care about the NHL making a TV splash?) and it gets out.  The PA might leak it too.  But if it all stays quiet, that will be must see TV...

The leaks will come from agents, as always.....that's the ones you have to keep muzzled, but it's tough to do...

18 hours ago, bb1 said:

Hopefully Enstrom will follow suit...IF we even ask him?

Its better to not know. Look at phaneuf and ottawa... Leaked that they asked him... He said no i want to stay... He is now getting crapped on by ottawa fans... Odd.. HE wants to stay and now rumors are hes being shopped.  Its like Toby.. Better to not know.... If they asked and he said no, and it was leaked  he would get crapped on... But crapped on for wanting to stay is kind of silly. Better to not know. The only way we find out is if hes not on the protected list Sunday. And if he is on the list... Could mean he was asked and said no or he wasnt asked at all... We will never know probably. 

Edited by Goalie

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

Its better to not know. Look at phaneuf and ottawa... Leaked that they asked him... He said no i want to stay... He is now getting crapped on by ottawa fans... Odd.. HE wants to stay and now rumors are hes being shopped.  Its like Toby.. Better to not know.... If they asked and he said no, and it was leaked  he would get crapped on... But crapped on for wanting to stay is kind of silly. Better to not know. The only way we find out is if hes not on the protected list Sunday. And if he is on the list... Could mean he was asked and said no or he wasnt asked at all... We will never know probably. 

Yeah well if he is here and we lose Perreault or Lowry or Myers it's ethier Enstrom gets crapped on or Chevy take your pick... looks like Enstrom is gonna throw Chevy under the bus....nice way to pay back the Jets who overpaid for him and stood behind him with his horrible year last year...no Fleury here that's for sure..

12 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Yeah well if he is here and we lose Perreault or Lowry or Myers it's ethier Enstrom gets crapped on or Chevy take your pick... looks like Enstrom is gonna throw Chevy under the bus....nice way to pay back the Jets who overpaid for him and stood behind him with his horrible year last year...no Fleury here that's for sure..

I think they know who they Will lose already. I think its been agreed upon. Fleury is paid more than the edmonton goalie Talbot who since being the starter has top 5 numbers. Fleury isnt the anwer here. Hes paid 2 much And hes a little older. I think you see a Raanta or Mason or Elliot who well, 1 is sn unproven starter. 1 is a youngish guy who was rookie of the year not long ago.. One is a good tandem backup goalie but really if u wanna guy to play 30 40 games... Who is the backup. So yeah.. Lots of better more tandem type goalies out there. 

Edited by Goalie

I agree.  I'd be surprised if the Jets dont know exactly who they are losing by now.  The only caveat is if they are waiting for Toby to get back to them today but I doubt its a decision that requires taking all the time.  Should be a convo that would have happened by now.

And Im not sure Toby deserves our scorn if he declines.  I was all over Stamkos for not waiving his No Trade when he said he was going to free agency.  But thats different.  I think the NHL should CBA-out those clauses for the final year of contracts.  Which doesnt apply in Tobys case as it pertains to expansion.

I get fans will generally take the side that most benefits their team, but I can’t criticise a player when they utilise something that was given to them in a negotiated contract that both sides agreed to.  

Who knows what Toby gave up or agreed to for that no trade clause.  Now that he has it, he can use it for what is best for him and his family.  Don’t understand this talk that I’ve heard from some of the call in shows about how Toby should be grateful to the organization for the contract he got and he should do what is best for the Jets because they’ve been good to him.   That’s not how it works.

No one goes around complaining that when a player is underpaid for his performance that a team should re-negotiate his contact to fair value.  Yes, Toby’s play has declined.  But a contract is a contract.

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

I get fans will generally take the side that most benefits their team, but I can’t criticise a player when they utilise something that was given to them in a negotiated contract that both sides agreed to.  

Who knows what Toby gave up or agreed to for that no trade clause.  Now that he has it, he can use it for what is best for him and his family.  Don’t understand this talk that I’ve heard from some of the call in shows about how Toby should be grateful to the organization for the contract he got and he should do what is best for the Jets because they’ve been good to him.   That’s not how it works.

No one goes around complaining that when a player is underpaid for his performance that a team should re-negotiate his contact to fair value.  Yes, Toby’s play has declined.  But a contract is a contract.

Totally agree.  He doesn't owe anyone ****.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

I believe Fleury waived because he wants to be a starter on a team more then specifically helping the Penguins 

That could be true.  But Fleury did specifically say one of the reasons he waived was because it was the right thing to do for the Pens.

20 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Disagree could help the Jets like Fleury did for the Penguins. But in this day and age players like Fleury are few and far between.

I want Toby to put the Jets first too.  But he has zero obligation to do so.  He was given a contract.  He's abiding by that contract.  If he waives, its a favour he's doing for the Jets.  If he over-performed we would not expect the Jets to give him a raise mid-contract.

31 minutes ago, Rich said:

I believe Fleury waived because he wants to be a starter on a team more then specifically helping the Penguins 

No kidding.... is anyone actually buying into him doing it for the Pens... gimme a break.  Guys look out for their own careers first and foremost and that's exactly what's going on with Fleury and Enstrom... and there is nothing wrong with that.  Why would anyone ever want to help a team that they would no longer be a part of anymore?  Maybe in fantasyland.

Just now, Atomic said:

No kidding.... is anyone actually buying into him doing it for the Pens... gimme a break.  Guys look out for their own careers first and foremost and that's exactly what's going on with Fleury and Enstrom... and there is nothing wrong with that.  Why would anyone ever want to help a team that they would no longer be a part of anymore?  Maybe in fantasyland.

If Toby wants to move on, and maybe he does, it would be nice to give the Jets some flexibility now. 

I have a feeling they protect Toby and leave Myers unprotected by make a deal with Vegas.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

If Toby wants to move on, and maybe he does, it would be nice to give the Jets some flexibility now. 

I have a feeling they protect Toby and leave Myers unprotected by make a deal with Vegas.

Do you make career decisions based on "being nice"?

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Sometimes.  If I can do what I want and be nice to my employer, that's better than doing what I want and being a ****.  Nothing wrong with a win-win if ever possible.

That's not what we're talking about here... Toby clearly doesn't want to leave.  How would waiving his NMC be getting what he wants?

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

That's not what we're talking about here... Toby clearly doesn't want to leave.  How would waiving his NMC be getting what he wants?

How do you know?

Im saying if they went to him and indicated they would discuss a contract extension this summer and he said, no I intend to go to Free Agency and explore my options, then they could counter with, well, give us a list of teams and let us explore it now.  I suspect he is happy here but I dont know that for sure.  He might want the chance to go to a cup contender.  he probably doesnt want to go to Vegas.

My other suggestion was getting him to waive with the intention of making a deal with Vegas not to select him and then providing Toby with an extension.  But they can do the same with Myers.  Except Myers is worth more than Toby so whatever you have to give Vegas to back off will cost more for Myers than Toby.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Ask Vegas not to select him and instead let them have Dano (which might be why they signed him) plus something else (draft pick, Petan etc).

Myers is worth more than Dano and Petan (or some 2nd round draft pick).

If the Jets can't protect Myers, it's going to be expensive to for them to get Vegas to take anyone else. Maybe too expensive...