The Expansion Draft

Ducky

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Keep in mind it has been said the bigger issue facing Myers is a "personal" thing not injury. Don't give up on his yet. A top four D with a great contract. Vegas takes him and laughs while doing so. 

I don't see it as a great contract anymore...  heavy cap hit for a 2nd tier or 3rd pairing D

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I don't see it as a great contract anymore...  heavy cap hit for a 2nd tier or 3rd pairing D

Agreed. We almost have our hands tied and have to play him on the third pair because he's just too injury prone. We can't rely on him to be a steady top 4 cause it's just not happening. 

Buff, Trouba, Myers down the right side would be unreal, but that's gonna be costly

Edited by Judd

The more I think of it, the more I hope MP is the one taken by Vegas. He is going to be a 3rd liner at best and is going to be making 4.125m per year for 4 years. He will probably be replaced on the PP within a year or so anyway.

Maybe Chevy could hook up some kind of deal where he leaves MP open and they take him and a week later they trade a LHD they drafted for a couple of minor leaguers like Lipon and Kosmo?

Im less in love with Myers at this point only because Trouba has become the beast we all hoped for.  So realistically, it means Myers is a 4RHD.  His contract is still really good and Buff is still aging.  Myers is 4 years younger.  We're committed to Buff and Im fine with that.

In a perfect world, one of Buff or Myers would happily convert to the left side.  But in the absence of that, IF you have to trade a RHD to make room and balance the budget, Myers becomes that guy.  But it only works if Trouba signs long term. 

And then you're still in the same boat as wanting a LHD in return and most teams with a quality LHD arent looking to trade him.  But if we could trade Myers for a top 4 LHD (and probably another piece), we'd be good.  Except ofcourse, his value is diminished due to injuries.

At the expansion draft, you still have to protect him even if you cant trade him due to low demand based on his injury/personal situation.  There is a clause that a player who misses 60+ consecutive games to injury can be exempt from the expansion draft at the league's discretion but thats generally for players that are likely to retire due to injury,

I dont suppose we could get Chychrun out of Arizona somehow...?    Seems the Jets are fairly high on Poolman who they probably hope slots into the 3RHD consistently in a year or two.  When Toby is done, we have two big holes on the LHD side.

Something that isn't brought up much as it relates to Trouba.  

Trouba signed a 2 year deal. Buff has a NMC for 2 seasons then it becomes a limited NTC where he has 14 teams he can't be traded to. 

So... you gotta wonder if maybe just maybe trouba signs an extension and in 2 or 3 years buff is traded. Myers? I think they should leave him exposed if they cant trade him or keep him out all year and Vegas wont take him.. injuries are a legit concern.  

Regardless tho..our D zone play as a team is pretty poor. We chase guys around and around.... man on man style D... it's not working really.... we need to fix our Team D play. 

Edited by Goalie

Trouba wasn't exactly good last year or the year b4. Had a good rookie year but he regressed but he looks like hes coming in to his own now. Myers probably was better than Trouba last year. 

And he was looking Damn good until he got hurt.... Yet again. 

Edited by Goalie

But the word is Myers is dealing with a personal issue.  So if you leave him exposed and he's not hurt, they will snag him.  They might snag him even if he was hurt this whole time.  He'd be their #1 D on a great contract.

I wouldnt say Buff is untouchable down the road...but I think the Jets hope they are in the position where they'd want to keep him. If they trade Buff near the end of his deal its likely to a team going all in to contend for the cup.  Jets hope thats them

With that said it's not really about Buff vs Trouba vs Myers. 

It's about managing the cap. We spend a ton on our D right now... that's with Trouba on a bargain and ELC Morrissey...

Somebody needs to move cuz paying this much for our D isn't working. 

Buff? NMC currently.  Trouba? If he wants to be here (that's the 6 to 7 million dollar question) you keep him. Myers? That's a lot of cash for your 3rd pair RHD.... 

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

But the word is Myers is dealing with a personal issue.  So if you leave him exposed and he's not hurt, they will snag him.  They might snag him even if he was hurt this whole time.  He'd be their #1 D on a great contract.

I wouldnt say Buff is untouchable down the road...but I think the Jets hope they are in the position where they'd want to keep him. If they trade Buff near the end of his deal its likely to a team going all in to contend for the cup.  Jets hope thats them

Ya... personal issue eh. I don't really buy that. It plays a role but it's not the reason he's been out this long.  It's an injury. A few weeks ago Maurice said he plateaued in his recovery. 

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Ya... personal issue eh. I don't really buy that. It plays a role but it's not the reason he's been out this long.  It's an injury. A few weeks ago Maurice said he plateaued in his recovery. 

It's pretty serious and he's away from the team. I don't know what it is but prior to it, he was with the club and even skated.

Yes, Maurice said he plateaued but that was quite a long time ago.  Then he skated and traveled with the team on a road trip and I believe Maurice said he might be an option  (which is why he'd travel with the team).  He never played and it came out via one of their announcers (I think Beyak) that he was dealing with a personal issue.  The way it was said was something like "Myers is injured and now dealing with a personal issue, the latter the most pressing concern right now".

Sounds to me like the personal matter is the thing and he'd otherwise be good to go..or at the very least, the personal issue is preventing him from being with the team and practicing.  I havent heard about him skating since that road trip.

Hopefully everything is okay with him.

EDIT: it was the trip to Florida.  Maurice reported that Myers went to the Jets to ask for leave due to a "personal family matter" and has left the team for that reason "with the full blessing" of the Jets.  Seems the usual rumor sites have nothing about it...

Edited by The Unknown Poster