The Expansion Draft

Ducky

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

No, it means neither have reached their 40/70 game requirement for the expansion draft.  Vegas cannot pick them.

No, teams can protect only so many players and must expose a minimum of two forward, one defenseman, and one goalie.

Vegas can pick from anyone as long as they are not on the protected list, under 2 years, or LTIR.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Certainly based on talent now and upside Copp looks like a keeper.  Dano might just be the type of player that would be sad to lose but maybe not quote good enough that Vegas takes him.  They'd take Lowry over Dano.  Probably Armia over Dano.  I like Dano.  But he's not irreplaceable.

Copp is showing why they held him in such high regard.  Props to Maurice for recognizing that he could slide into a top six role and look good.  When we're healthy, who gets shuffled out?  Copp down to 3rd line?  Copp-Lowry-Armia?  Good third line.

Lawless also said Perreault probably being shopped.  Thats tough.  He's been a great addition but hasnt embraced the top six role like it seemed he might.  New contract kicking in...do they protect him because he has value or let Vegas take him for nothing and be glad to save the contract money?

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

He was saying they go 7-3-1 and leave Myers unprotected and do a deal with Vegas not to take Myers.

That would be my preference.

Even if Myers becomes the odd man out, his value is too low right now. Get him back, contributing and healthy, and you can move him for a lot more value. I would still prefer to keep Myers but I don't see any room for him now.

This, of course, assumes Trouba is prepared to negotiate a long-term contract with the Jets (and vice-versa).

7-3-1 is definitely the way to go. Leave MP unprotected and expose him and Matthias. Scheif, Wheeler, Little, Armia, Copp, Dano and Lowry protected. Vegas takes their pick of him, Matthias, Hutch, or Stu.

Myers should have been traded over a year ago. He is the third best RHD on the team costing 5.5 in salary cap and 7.5m over the last two years of actual salary. 

It doesn't matter who is left  unprotected if you have a deal with Vegas but if you don't and we have all 4 of them on the day the list needs to handed in, I am protecting Myers.

11 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Myers should have been traded over a year ago. He is the third best RHD on the team costing 5.5 in salary cap and 7.5m over the last two years of actual salary. 

Who cares about salary cap right now? It's not "costing" you anything.

So, you would have traded Myers a year ago, before Trouba was even signed? When the (legitimate) plan was to move Trouba to the left?

Copp is a good bottom 6 player. He's not a guy I'd be protecting tho. If Vegas takes him... oh well. If not... that's fine but I feel people are basing this on his last couple games. He's a good player but he's not a top 6 player. So.. I'd leave him exposed. I mean Cmon.... how many bottom 6 players you wanna protect? Isn't Lowry and Armia enough? I'd protect Dano over Copp. 

Edited by Goalie

13 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Leave Myers and Perrault exposed... Vegas can have either one of them

Don't know is either of these guys will ever play a full season, don't really know Myers problem this year could still be his hip and injuries just seem to follow Perreault, didn't really like his extension either.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Copp is a good bottom 6 player. He's not a guy I'd be protecting tho. If Vegas takes him... oh well. If not... that's fine but I feel people are basing this on his last couple games. He's a good player but he's not a top 6 player. So.. I'd leave him exposed. I mean Cmon.... how many bottom 6 players you wanna protect? Isn't Lowry and Armia enough? I'd protect Dano over Copp. 

I only said protect him if MP is exposed.