Game 3 : Bruins @ Jets

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

You turn into the Oilers by drafting poorly.

All recent Stanley Cup winners have had elite level talent that you get by drafting in the top 3. Jets have one of those now.

Trouba wants to play close to home, in the US, where he can maximize he value. It has nothing to do with playing on the left or the right. It's just convenient.

Sheif, Wheeler, Buff - all want to play here.

Sheif, Wheeler, Buff.  Well we might as well just close up shop now because that trio doesn't hold a candle to the ones I listed above.

Just now, Atomic said:

I'm shocked that Chipman explained something the Jets did in a way that presents them in a favorable light.  I expected that he would just say "we ****** up".  NOT!

You're probably right.  Chipman was lying.  It couldnt be that your position isnt accurate, it has to be Chipman was lying when answering a question that was not specific to any one player or team building concept...lol

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You're probably right.  Chipman was lying.  It couldnt be that your position isnt accurate, it has to be Chipman was lying when answering a question that was not specific to any one player or team building concept...lol

Hey man if you want to believe everything the big man feeds you, be my guest.  I'll be a little more discerning.  You can thank me later when I'm right.

Actually now is later, because I was right about blowing up the team after we finally made the playoffs.  It was a bad move.  I wonder, how many years can Chevy stay employed without a playoff win?  We're at five now.  Can we get to ten?  Will you still be defending him because in ten years I'm sure we will still have a great YOUNG TEAM!!!!

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Well, only one is playing for the Jets.  The other two are AHL depth. And if I recall, Howden is doing well.

That's pretty much my point.

Chevy used to be pretty decent at waiver wire... but the last two seasons of drafting and free agency have actually been crap other than blind luck - Connor and Laine.  Two picks for Stanley?  Burmistrov's return?  Passing on bargain basement Stempniak...  even extending Perrault for almost exactly the same contract that they passed on Frolik... just weird.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Sheif, Wheeler, Buff.  Well we might as well just close up shop now because that trio doesn't hold a candle to the ones I listed above.

And none were drafted first overall, which you need to build a Stanley Cup winner.

Keeping top tier (not elite) talent around is important too.

I really don't understand your argument. You want the Jets to build a middling team to eek out a playoff win or two, never getting to the Stanley Cup. You want them to overpay for people like Lucic?

1 minute ago, JCon said:

And none were drafted first overall, which you need to build a Stanley Cup winner.

Keeping top tier (not elite) talent around is important too.

I really don't understand your argument. You want the Jets to build a middling team to eek out a playoff win or two, never getting to the Stanley Cup. You want them to overpay for people like Lucic?

My argument is that we've been waiting six years and Chevy has delivered the poorest team yet.

16 minutes ago, Floyd said:

That's pretty much my point.

Chevy used to be pretty decent at waiver wire... but the last two seasons of drafting and free agency have actually been crap other than blind luck - Connor and Laine.  Two picks for Stanley?  Burmistrov's return?  Passing on bargain basement Stempniak...  even extending Perrault for almost exactly the same contract that they passed on Frolik... just weird.

Frolik didnt want to be here.  Perreault has a better attitude and I like him more.  If I could only keep one, I think I'd keep Perreault.  Meh to Stemp.  No one else wanted him either so 30 teams passed. 

Burmi is cheap and they owned his rights.  No team was giving much for an attitude problem who played two years in the K.  He's still young.  Makes sense to use him.

Matthias is the only guy they really went after.  And lets see what happens with him.  I think the Jets have a better idea of what they are doing now which is why they arent going after higher quality free agents.  They want to let the youth make mistakes while they develop.  They clearly believe its not another 5 year plan.  There is a reason Buff re-signed here.  They think the team is headed in the right direction.  Even if they suck this season. 

Why bring in middling free agents to get swept in the opening round while your youth doesnt get ice team?  if they are "close" to turning the corner, then embrace it.

19 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Frolik didnt want to be here.  Perreault has a better attitude and I like him more.  If I could only keep one, I think I'd keep Perreault.  Meh to Stemp.  No one else wanted him either so 30 teams passed. 

Burmi is cheap and they owned his rights.  No team was giving much for an attitude problem who played two years in the K.  He's still young.  Makes sense to use him.

Matthias is the only guy they really went after.  And lets see what happens with him.  I think the Jets have a better idea of what they are doing now which is why they arent going after higher quality free agents.  They want to let the youth make mistakes while they develop.  They clearly believe its not another 5 year plan.  There is a reason Buff re-signed here.  They think the team is headed in the right direction.  Even if they suck this season. 

Why bring in middling free agents to get swept in the opening round while your youth doesnt get ice team?  if they are "close" to turning the corner, then embrace it.

So every move was the right one?  And yet here we are.

Always funny to hear the 'Chevy wants to let the youth make mistakes, let them learn' comments... when we have Dano, Petan and Copp sitting on the Moose, while Matthias, Burmi and Stafford put in a half-hearted effort.

The vet leadership signings leave a bit of a question... if you want guys to guide the rookies, why not bring guys in who have been on winning teams? 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Lol how many other teams made huge splashs in free agency?

You do realize that other teams also sign lots of fringe NHLers that also stink?

Now this really reminds me of the Joe Mack era... when IMWT's rally cry was 'but who has anyone else signed'... 'oh that guy? well they overpaid'

And then we started signing free agents and everything was fine.

It's 3 games in. Everyone looks pretty bad actually at this time of year. Ottawa just put 7 up against a young Arizona team who are building like the Jets. These builds take time.. they don't happen over night. Let's see where they are at game 20 but like a few of us predicted... it looks to be a developmental year and that's fine. Because the Jets aren't building a team that just barely makes the playoffs and loses. They are building a team that will one day be legit. I get ppl want that to happen now but let's be serious here... it's 3 games in. 

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Now this really reminds me of the Joe Mack era... when IMWT's rally cry was 'but who has anyone else signed'... 'oh that guy? well they overpaid'

Most players who make it to free agency really aren't the answer... most are depth type of Veterans who are looking for big paydays... but it seems that the nhl is transitioning to the younger players now. These vets really aren't as valued as they were a few years ago.  Stempniak eh? That's great but all he does is bump a kid with a future out of the lineup. 

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Really? Had nothing to do with drafting Canadian O-Linemen? And scouting Americans? And trading for a QB?  

And, it's not like we haven't had many misses in free agency. But if you make a mistake in the CFL, you cut it. Can't do that in the NHL.

Edited by JCon

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

Really? Had nothing to do with drafting Canadian O-Linemen? And scouting Americans? And trading for a QB?  

And, it's not like we haven't had many misses in free agency. But if you make a mistake in the CFL, you cut it. Can't do that in the NHL.

I'm just saying that its time to move past the Matthias, Setoguchis and Ponikarovskys and sign a legit UFA or go full on rebuild and let Dano, Petan, Copp proves themselves...

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

I'm just saying that its time to move past the Matthias, Setoguchis and Ponikarovskys and sign a legit UFA or go full on rebuild and let Dano, Petan, Copp proves themselves...

Aren't they kind of doing that tho but instead of Dano copp petan who look like they are better off playing 20 minutes a Night with the Moose instead of being part of the 4th line with the Jets... Morrissey Connor Ehlers Laine even Scheif Tanev Helle.... I mean depth isn't a bad thing... Dano Copp etc will be called up eventually but right now they are getting 20 minutes a Night with the Moose developing their games more.  

It's not like you can just cut stafford or Thorburn or Burmi... you either trade them... but let's be honest.... they won't get you much if anything in return or they play or sit. 

You can't sit them all tho.... so some guys need to go down to the minors and play... honestly Dano and Copp could be on the team but instead of getting 20 minutes a Night they'd get 7. 

Stafford Thorburn etc will be gone soon enough... last year of their deals... they will be replaced by guys like Dano copp petan Lemieux etc