Game 3 : Bruins @ Jets

Let's not forget that Ehlers is a RWer playing LW. Maurice has stated that eventually he will go back to the right side...

Our depth at center is not good. It is a reach to expect Roslo to play 2C and even if he does, it won't be this year or next...

Trouba, Petan, Chiarot and a 1st for RNH and Nurse.

43 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Who cares about wins?  The team is young, right?  Isn't that the goal?  To have the youngest team?  Forever young, I wanna be, forever young...

I think the fanbase will get restless to a point.  But if we get a lottery pick this year, so be it.  I think where people will be more concerned is if veterans are playing poorly, like the very expensive Buff.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Who cares about wins?  The team is young, right?  Isn't that the goal?  To have the youngest team?  Forever young, I wanna be, forever young...

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think the fanbase will get restless to a point.  But if we get a lottery pick this year, so be it.  I think where people will be more concerned is if veterans are playing poorly, like the very expensive Buff.

Yeah we'll be horrible but Nolan Patrick is waiting for us. #silverlining

Three games in and talking about lottery pick... ha

Team can still come together, but Helle needs to steal some games for this team.  Our goalies are not 'great'.

Jets are always one signing from being a good team - Matthias, Brian Strait and Howden...  three garbage NHLers for $3.5 million

Draft and develop or dollar store... doesn't seem to be anything in between

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Three games in and talking about lottery pick... ha

Team can still come together, but Helle needs to steal some games for this team.  Our goalies are not 'great'.

Jets are always one signing from being a good team - Matthias, Brian Strait and Howden...  three garbage NHLers for $3.5 million

Draft and develop or dollar store... doesn't seem to be anything in between

Frankly the "building for the future" story we've been told has been exposed as a scam.  How can you build for the future around guys like Trouba who are just going to leave after they've developed their skills here?  At some point you have to build a team for THIS YEAR, because you never know what the future may hold.  Sure, Laine and Connor could be great but will we be able to afford them both along with Scheifele and others?  Will they even want to stay?  Smart GMs know you can't predict the future.  Notice how all the teams that are trash year after year are also YOUNG year after year.  Edmonton has been full of young talent for a DECADE.  It doesn't work!!

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Frankly the "building for the future" story we've been told has been exposed as a scam.  How can you build for the future around guys like Trouba who are just going to leave after they've developed their skills here?  At some point you have to build a team for THIS YEAR, because you never know what the future may hold.  Sure, Laine and Connor could be great but will we be able to afford them both along with Scheifele and others?  Will they even want to stay?  Smart GMs know you can't predict the future.  Notice how all the teams that are trash year after year are also YOUNG year after year.  Edmonton has been full of young talent for a DECADE.  It doesn't work!!

Call Chicago. Call Tampa Bay. Call Los Angeles. Call Pittsburgh.

All drafted high and built through the draft.

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Worked for Tampa Bay... LA... Chicago...

Only difference between TBL and Jets is $9 million in cap space...  if there is not an 'internal cap' and Trouba gets Drouined, then Jets will be a contender

If Chevy keeps trying to get a 'Winnipeg deal' on vet players... ugh.  Perrault is actually his only decent free agent signing - this is entering Joe Mack territory.

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

Call Chicago. Call Tampa Bay. Call Los Angeles. Call Pittsburgh.

All drafted high and built through the draft.

Yeah.  As in 2 or 3 players.  Toews, Kane, Keith.  Stamkos, Drouin, Hedman.  Kopitar, Doughty, Quick.  Crosby, Malkin, Fleury.  And then they supplemented those players through free agency and trades.  You can't build a whole damn team through high draft picks, it doesn't make any sense.  Nobody has ever won by doing that.

6 years in and who are we building around?  Scheifele?

Edited by Atomic

Just now, Atomic said:

Yeah.  As in 2 or 3 players.  Toews, Kane, Keith.  Stamkos, Drouin, Hedman.  Kopitar, Doughty, Quick.  Crosby, Malkin, Fleury.  And then they supplemented those players through free agency and trades.  You can't build a whole damn team through high draft picks, it doesn't make any sense.  Nobody has ever won by doing that.

Of course not but you only add those pieces when you have the ELITE level talent of drafting high.

Those are some pretty darn special players right there! (Except Fleury... but he's had his moments)

You could be a team like Minnesota. Never bad enough to get a top pick but never good enough to be a contender.

Edmonton is special because they thought if you were a Stanley Cup Champion, you could build a Stanley Cup Championship team. (I bet McJeebus turns their fortunes around)

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Building for this year is asinine.  Using one example of a drafted player wanting to leave doesnt prove the whole concept wrong. 

When the Jets are ready to win NOW, they will add free agents.  Why bring in a big name free agent to lose?  Why would a free agent come to a "developing" team?

So what have the last 5 years been about?  Why didn't we just tank if it's so critical to build around a first or second overall pick?  I just feel like we keep hearing about a plan but there actually isn't one at all.

And it's not asinine at all.  It actually proves me correct.  You CAN'T plan far into the future because so-called "one-off" events like Trouba demanding to leave throw off the whole plan.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

So what have the last 5 years been about?  Why didn't we just tank if it's so critical to build around a first or second overall pick?  I just feel like we keep hearing about a plan but there actually isn't one at all.

And it's not asinine at all.  It actually proves me correct.  You CAN'T plan far into the future because so-called "one-off" events like Trouba demanding to leave throw off the whole plan.

As mentioned above, Trouba is the only drafted player, that has requested a trade.  How does that throw off the whole plan?  We could very well get a nice return, in a trade, for Trouba, that could actually accelerate our progression.

I just don't see how one issue destroys the draft and develop philosophy.

1 minute ago, BomberBall said:

As mentioned above, Trouba is the only drafted player, that has requested a trade.  How does that throw off the whole plan?  We could very well get a nice return, in a trade, for Trouba, that could actually accelerate our progression.

I just don't see how one issue destroys the draft and develop philosophy.

It just goes to show that you cannot plan for the future.  Look at the situation we're in with Trouba now.  You're not going to get a better player back.  Guaranteed, no way, will not happen.  So now we have no defensive prospects beyond Morrissey.  You don't see that as a huge problem?  That we banked on Trouba being a top-pairing guy for three years and when he's ready, he leaves?  If you think this was part of Chevy's plan you're nuts.

10 minutes ago, Atomic said:

The Jets had sort of two cores when they came here.  They had the young guys and then the Ladd, Littles, Buffs, Wheeler etc.  I think the feeling was, this is a team that can make the playoffs and by the time the new draftees are ready the "older core" will still be good enough to be the veteran leaders.  If the Jets had stumbled into the Playoffs 3 of the last 5 years, then it would have been fine (Playoff cash).

But it didnt happen.  Really, only last season was the issue.  They had an upward curve that saw them make the playoffs in Year 3.  Last year was the step back year.  If they hadnt stepped back, we probably still have Ladd, no Laine and are hoping to make the playoffs again.

With the step back, with Laine, with Ladd gone, with Connor being good etc...its more of a "ef it, lets go more to the rebuild then the retool".  I get it.  I mean, my opinion?  The Jets will either be bad or good.  Yeah, shot in the dark, right?  But I dont think there will be a long curve.  When the Jets "get it", they will flip a switch and be very good.  Bad to very good quickly.  Thats my opinion.  And it could happen this season.

I said it last year that playing Trouba on the third pairing with Stuart would cause problems.  

I don't see the stumbling block - Myers should never be on the powerplay... Trouba should.  Trouba should also be our 2nd RHD defenceman with 20-25 minutes a game.  Just agree to it... unless he hates Winnipeg...

Enstrom-Buff

Morrissey-Trouba

Postma-Myers

Just now, Atomic said:

It just goes to show that you cannot plan for the future.  Look at the situation we're in with Trouba now.  You're not going to get a better player back.  Guaranteed, no way, will not happen.  So now we have no defensive prospects beyond Morrissey.  You don't see that as a huge problem?  That we banked on Trouba being a top-pairing guy for three years and when he's ready, he leaves?  If you think this was part of Chevy's plan you're nuts.

Never said it was part of the plan.  Nor did I say we would get a better player back in a trade.  Although, it could happen.  Like you say, you cannot predict the future.

I just think, when you get into a situation like "Oh, well Player A is better right now, but Player B is going to be great and we need to extend him next year so we gotta get rid of Player A...." that's when you get into trouble.

As in, we can't afford Frolik because we have to extend Trouba.  If you make that decision too many times, the team turns into the Oilers.

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I just think, when you get into a situation like "Oh, well Player A is better right now, but Player B is going to be great and we need to extend him next year so we gotta get rid of Player A...." that's when you get into trouble.

As in, we can't afford Frolik because we have to extend Trouba.  If you make that decision too many times, the team turns into the Oilers.

I dont think the Jets have ever done this.  Chipman explained that they have charts and graphs on everyone showing where they think their value will be every year.  So they had Frolik at a certain value.  He wanted more (he didnt want to be here actually) and had earned free agency.  So be it. 

Jets have plenty of cap.  They havent shied away from signing players they want. 

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

You turn into the Oilers by drafting poorly.

All recent Stanley Cup winners have had elite level talent that you get by drafting in the top 3. Jets have one of those now.

Trouba wants to play close to home, in the US, where he can maximize he value. It has nothing to do with playing on the left or the right. It's just convenient.

Sheif, Wheeler, Buff - all want to play here.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

I dont think the Jets have ever done this.  Chipman explained that they have charts and graphs on everyone showing where they think their value will be every year.  So they had Frolik at a certain value.  He wanted more (he didnt want to be here actually) and had earned free agency.  So be it. 

Jets have plenty of cap.  They havent shied away from signing players they want. 

I'm shocked that Chipman explained something the Jets did in a way that presents them in a favorable light.  I expected that he would just say "we ****** up".  NOT!