Everything posted by aalgernon
-
Passport aside...
Was Roberts really that much of a head case? I mean, he missed a few practices over the course of his career, and sure, he wasn't the most mature player you could have found, but I can't recall him being that much of a distraction or a locker room cancer. The guy was young and people tend to make some mistakes in their twenties. Overall, I think what he did on the field far outweighs whatever he did off the field.
-
Passport aside...
Agree as well. Harris is good, but Roberts was an unreal talent.
-
D. Adams
Definitely he's a proven player at this point. Denmark has been having a great year as well.
-
"Get on your feet, Bomber fans"
Definitely hear you on that point. So hard to sing along with because she keeps speeding up and slowing down.
-
"Get on your feet, Bomber fans"
I sit on the west side, and honestly, I could never really tell what the "Blue" chant during the anthem was. Always sounded kind of like "BOO" to my ears, but I knew that couldn't be right, being during the national anthem and all. Makes a bit more sense now. I'm surprised at how many standing-during-kickoffs supporters there seem to be! From where I sit (upper deck, west side) it looks like... MAYBE 5% of the crowd stands? If that? Probably less. I maintain that they should do away with it.
-
Why isn't the Bombers #5 jersey retired?
Not officially, but have you seen a player wearing number 11 or 85 recently?
-
"Get on your feet, Bomber fans"
So, how long must our stadium announcer persevere with this non-tradition? No one stands during kick-offs, and no one ever did. Traditions should be natural and organic, born from the fans themselves, not crafted by Bomber brass in the name of team spirit. It's silly. Can we end this already? On a similar note, the only time the announcer should say "And that's another Winnipeg (first down)" is after we actually PRODUCE a first down! Good win tonight, Blue.
-
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Not at all personal. I'm just saying that sometimes change is difficult to deal with, and it's important in those moments to truly examine why we feel the way we do. This is more philosophical than I really intended for a football forum, but the point is that all major social change comes about as a result of small cases like this one. Women have traditionally been under-represented in sports and it would be good for this to change. Basically, all I'm saying is that it's important to examine one's personal biases and I hope that you are doing this.
- IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
- IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
-
Blue Bomber Pano shot
They should have done this after a Bomber touchdown, to capture the true enthusiasm of the moment.
-
Edmonton - was it PI?
Berry was definitely never THAT bad. Sure, he'd get impassioned, and true, he did go off on some players, but he never lost his temper at "the game" in general. That's the difference. You can be frustrated at a player for something, but it won't necessarily change your image as a leader. On the other hand, when you get mad at the refs and the game overall, it shows that you are letting your frustration at things you can't control take over. It also implicitly makes it okay for players to do the same thing. I never thought of Berry as a d-bag--always quite liked the guy, in fact.
-
Edmonton - was it PI?
Seems like the consensus here is it should have been a non-call, and like I said, I don't really disagree with that. There wasn't enough shown to overturn it, anyway. Also, I totally agree about Maas being a little baby. Couldn't believe that. You really can't have that from a head coach. The guy needs to stand up and be an example to his players. Really pathetic. Again, though, I did find the officiating to be one-sided after the fact. I also think that Edmonton was playing better than Calgary most of the game, but Calgary got a couple figurative and literal lucky bounces. Still doesn't excuse or validate Maas's lame ass behaviour during the game and in post-game interview. Take responsibility for the loss, figure out how you're going to fix things and move on. Would've rather an Edmonton win than Calgary, though.
-
Edmonton - was it PI?
I imagine most people saw Maas losing his composure over the non-PI call on Saturday. Link here if not. PI wasn't called, Maas challenged and the command centre upheld the non-call. I'm wondering what everyone thinks, though: PI or not? Personally it looked like a bit of a back in forth the whole way, and my initial reaction was that a non-call was correct, even though there was a bit of contact. In spite of this, I still felt like TSN and the officiating had a pro-Calgary leaning for this game. Edmonton didn't play great, and took some dumb penalties, but there were a few missed calls on Calgary that would have made an impact. Of course, it was also a matter of the team beating themselves - Maas's behaviour could not have helped his team focus on the matter at hand: playing the damn game. Also, I'm starting to agree with everyone about just how annoying Suitor is... I wish TSN would consider hiring some alternative colour commentators to liven up the games a bit.
- Welcoming Other Fans
-
Welcoming Other Fans
Wow, this thread is pretty illuminating about the maturity level of our own Bomber fans here. Who the hell cares what a Rider/Ticat/Esikimo/whatever fan says about our team? The freaking rivalries we have are what make football fun. Friendly ribbing is a part of the game. What's really pathetic is all the whining the Bomber fans are doing here. "So and so is a troll." "So and so offended me because my mom died three years ago." What a bunch of whiny babies. Also, painting all Rider fans with the same brush is, as someone else said, ludicrous. Like any fanbase, there are those who are insightful and add value to to the discussion, and there are those who come here wanting a reaction. Guess what - there are Bomber fans like that, too. Also, Rod Black, whatever your issue is, you should really get over it. It's clear that the quote of Mike's someone replied with was what the OP is referring to. It seems like you're trying to incite controversy and I cannot figure out why. TL;DR: Just be decent human beings to other humans, regardless of what jersey they choose to wear on their backs. It's really not that ******* complicated.
-
Lost in it all
I was also wondering about that. I know you can't advance the ball forward on a fumble, which I think is what the player did, although I couldn't tell from my angle. Also, I agree with those who are pointing out that it was kind of a stupid play on Lewis's part. Knocking it back in bounds could have resulted in a Bomber recovering the ball. Honestly, I really still don't understand why he did that. What's everyone's thoughts on the roughing the passer against Jeffcoat? To me it looked like total BS, but I haven't seen a replay...
-
Grey Cup Halftime Show is Fall Out Boy
I'm gonna guess Arkells. I wish, but I doubt it.
-
SERGIO!
Yup but... every one of them went right down the middle. And I'm still blaming Liram for the loss against Calgary - I bet Castillo nails that 49 yard field goal 90% of the time min. Liram has missed 6 or 7 extra points this year from 32 yards out. Not sure on your point aalgernon but 5 for 5 is 5 for 5 - Liram can't even kick 5 XP's in a row. My point is just that we shouldn't be proclaiming him our special teams saviour just yet. He had a good game - but we're going to need a larger sample than that to determine how good of a kicker he is in the long run. I'm glad he played well, don't get me wrong... I just think it would be silly to jump the gun on anything. I myself am cautiously optimistic. And yes, it's nice to see a kicker who doesn't seem to have the same mental blockage around PATs that Lirim has.
-
SERGIO!
Everyone realizes that most of his kicks were under 40 yards, right? And that his longest was only 41?
-
Grey Cup Ticket Sales
Chiming in to voice support for the selling of local beers. It would be awesome if we could get Half Pints at Bomber games! Drinking Little Scrapper at games would make the losses hurt... slightly less.
-
Lirim Hajrullahu
He definitely had an off day... disappointing. Not totally convinced he's worth cutting just yet, though. He had a very good season last year. Maybe, as another poster mentioned, this is just a slump that he'll overcome. Here's hoping. Anyone else find it a bit curious that we blitzed Edmonton so much on their last drive? We didn't really get any pressure out of it because Reilly was able to unload the ball pretty quickly. I also thought Bowman was quite close to being offside on one play.
-
JFG placed on 6 game IR
That sucks. JFG is a solid player. He almost never drops the ball and works hard on every play. He's actually the only player who's name I've ever had on a jersey. I was happy to be wearing it at the Banjo Bowl when he scored a touchdown!
-
O'Shea believes Bombers better than their record
Anyone remember that year when we lost something like 8 games by four points or less? THAT year, we were arguably "better" than our record (and even so, as others have pointed out, your record doesn't really lie as an indicator of how good you are as a team). But this year? We've lost tons of games by tons of points. Really a silly thing for O'Shea to say. As for injuries -- that's part of being a good team; having the necessary depth and skill to overcome injuries. Every team has injuries. Even with Willy, I don't know that we can say we'd be that much better.
-
Buck Pierce Belairdirect commericals
I love the generic non-Bomber CFL jersey.