Around The NHL 2016/2017

5 hours ago, Ducky said:

Didn't know where to put this...

Jets have 8 forwards and 3 defensemen that were 1st round draft picks. That's 11 out of 23.

I'm not counting Myers or Armia or Connor...

Sure shows you how much drafting higher up in the draft means.

Don't most teams tho? I mean for the most part I'd imagine most teams rosters are full of 1st Rd picks. 

59 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I would guess so. I just didn't realize we had THAT many 1st rounders on the roster.

You look at the players not including the older ones (wheeler little etc ) and all are young and not In their prime yet. 

Scheif Ehlers Laine Dano Morrissey Trouba... that's 6 right there. If you add guys like Connor and Roslovic who I'd consider to be part of our future... 8. 

I'm not certain that Trouba is part of our future... I see Colorado in his future and possibly Landeskog here.... but ya.  It bodes well for the future.  

Laine is in front right now without question. He has to keep the pedal down though. Nylander in TO is a very good player. Laine's a sweet passer and seems to be able to stick handle quite well with that reach. If he learns the D game even better, we'll have a bona fide superstar on our hands here for years. Think of what Laine Scheif and Ehlers will look like in 2-3 years.

Perreault's play is improving and he looked really good with Little and Wheeler. With ESL, that is two legitimate 1st lines.

I don't think we make the playoffs but I think this team starts playing really well in less than a month. An easier schedule and some sustained breaks should really help them and I think once Matthias and Armia and Petan are back, we will see far less line juggling.

We need help on our bottom pairing D but I don't think Chevy addresses that until after the expansion draft. It would be nice to have a 3rd pairing that could take 12-14 minutes a game.

Lol. Streaky? Both Laine and Matthews are streaky also. What Werenski is doing on a very very good Columbus team seems more impressive than what a winger or center who were expected to be good are doing. Sorry but the D man who wasn't expected to be as good as he is... way more worthy of rookie of tge year. Always gotta be a smart ass tho.... I only mentioned Werenski is a D man cuz I'm not sure some people know who he is. 

Laine has been pretty consistent if taken in 10 game stretches if you don't count the first couple of games of the season.

Werenski was drafted a year earlier.

Laine is being compared with some of hockey's greats.

If he turns it on he still might break some records.

He is in third place for most goals on a team that is on course for 77 points this season.

He leads the team with 3 GWG.

He is shooting with an amazing 19.3% shooting average.

He has played on the first line and 1PP for much of the season.

Did I mention he was 18? 

Right now I would have Werenski trailing Nylander and Matthews. He's had a really good year so far and will be a really good D man in  the league for years but it is harder for a D man to win it.

If the winner were to be decided today, Laine takes it.

24 minutes ago, Ducky said:

The Jets after 33 games last year on Dec. 21

15-16-2 for 32 points

The Jets this year after 33 games on Dec. 15

14-16-3 for 31 points

A] It's bad cause we were already out of the playoffs by then

B] It's not bad considering all the injuries/schedule

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg