Bell To Buy MTS

21 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I haven't had MTS since about 2013 so they may have improved but when I did use MTS, there were issues all the time with outages and service quality in general.

I've never had any trouble at all with Shaw.  The closest thing I had to an issue was when I got a PVR box from them.  I was talking to customer service in BC I guess, and had everything all worked out.  So I went to the Shaw office to pick up my box and they had no idea what I was talking about.  Long story short they ended up giving me a PVR box absolutely free (yes I own it) because they were so hopelessly disorganized.

I know MTS has been cognizant of their poor service reputation and have worked hard to be better.  Im with SHAW probably because they were very good to us when we moved into our current home.  The line was degraded and we had many issues but they ran a line off of a neighbor and gave us a large discount for over a year until a new line was installed.  I appreciate that and have trouble switching.

However, Im scheduled to move homes sometime this year and will almost assuredly switch for a reason Im not comfortable divulging (but you can figure out lol).

1 minute ago, IC Khari said:

True North Centre or Investors Group Arena (to go with the Field)? 

MTS has a long term contract for naming rights.  So it will remain MTSC for awhile or switch to Bell at some point but wont change to a third party until the contract is up.  I think Bell will be cognizant of not erasing the MTS brand in Manitoba as it means something to a lot of people.

When the Jets came back, the naming rights deal with the arena was extended to 2021 with the option to extend to 2030.

I'm sure there would also be provisions in the contract on what would happen / how it would be handled if MTS were ever sold.

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

MTS has a long term contract for naming rights.  So it will remain MTSC for awhile or switch to Bell at some point but wont change to a third party until the contract is up.  I think Bell will be cognizant of not erasing the MTS brand in Manitoba as it means something to a lot of people.

Similar to Safeway/ Sobeys, maybe the MTS brand will still be in use ...

2 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

Similar to Safeway/ Sobeys, maybe the MTS brand will still be in use ...

If they are being honest about using Bell MTS, it would seem to indicate they see value in the brand, and well they should.  In time, "MTS" probably gets swallowed up wholly by Bell, but in the short term it has a lot of value they should take advantage of. 

I think it would be smart to maintain the name in some form. Bell-MTS would work, similar to how it was MTS-Allstream before. For the love of God and all things holy, please keep Morty!!!! I still don't have a little stuffed Morty bison, tho I want one desperately. Gotta find one to buy...

45 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think it would be smart to maintain the name in some form. Bell-MTS would work, similar to how it was MTS-Allstream before. For the love of God and all things holy, please keep Morty!!!! I still don't have a little stuffed Morty bison, tho I want one desperately. Gotta find one to buy...

Morty is already being downplayed.  MTS is doing a brand refresh currently.

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

I've found that Shaw's home services blow MTS out of the water, in terms of TV and Internet.

Never used MTS for cellphone service.  I was with Telus for years but eventually got fed up with their poor coverage in Manitoba so I switched to Rogers.  Good service and no issues with billing or customer service but I've heard others have had nightmares.  FYI Logan007 I still get Rogers email bills every month :)

Remember that Rogers piggy backs on MTS cell towers in Manitoba.

I would guess they will stay use the network to a degree but as I understand there are many agreements that MTS must unentangle themselves from before this deal closes.  And Bell's deal with Telus to sell them customers and stores is conditional on the sale going through.  When the dust settles the market share in Mb will be a lot closer.  40-30-30 as opposed to 50-30-10 as it is now,

3 hours ago, bustamente said:

Is there anything that stops Telus or Rogers from making a offer to by MTS now that it is known to be up for grabs

The deal is already signed. The only thing that could stop it now is the regulatory agencies vetoing the deal (read: CRTC)

4 hours ago, bustamente said:

Is there anything that stops Telus or Rogers from making a offer to by MTS now that it is known to be up for grabs

Telus made a deal with Bell for 1/3rd of MTS Mobility so im guessing they wont interfere.

Too bad not a smaller company like Wind.

3 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

id rather see the mts center change to true north center or true north arena, no bell tho

True North isn't going to throw money at themselves though.  Huge money in naming rights these days so if Bell (or someone else) offers them a ton of cash to stick their name on the building, they're going to take it.

3 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

id rather see the mts center change to true north center or true north arena, no bell tho

Not a chance.  They make money off of naming rights.  True North wouldnt lose out on the money to name it after itself.  Be thankful.  It could be calling Jobing.Com or something equally as stupid.  MTSC is actually a pretty good name (local business, easy to say/remember).  Bell Centre would be fine too.  If Bell keeps the MTS brand long term, I imagine it eventually becomes Bell MTS Centre and we all just keep calling it MTSC anyway.

CanWest Global Park switched to SHAW Park when that sale happened (and we dodged a bullet because the original naming rights went to Mind Computer products and the park was to be called Mind Field...but the deal fell apart thankfully because that name was a one-note joke that played itself out rather quickly!