Who doesn't make the Jets next year?

Ducky

My picks for not starting with the Jets (barring extensive injuries):

Nic Petan

that Jiminy Cricket d-man - from Prince Albert

Chris Thorburn

Don't know if Petan's size will hold him back from a lengthy NHL career but its not looking in his favour. Morrissey is probably another year or two away - so long as he puts the work in and doesn't lose hope he should be ready to go by the time he's 24/25 - around when Toby Enstrom's contract expires.

Burmi should be trade bait or waived down to the Moose. Don't like his game - most of it side-to-side between the blue-lines. Peluso should be a keeper who spends a ton of time in the press box or down with the Moose but is on stand-by whenever the Jets play a team with fighters who could potentially torment Laine, Schiefele or Ehlers.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Peluso should be waived. He serves no purpose. Morrissey will start with the Jets this season.  He's ready and size is not an issue at all. He's got top pair LHD potential and at worst is top 4 potential 

Look at Ryan Ellis.  If that guy can play in the NHL Morrissey should be able to play as well. And don't get me started on Enstrom...

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Every other top pick from Morrissey's draft year is contributing... time to give him a shot

Why people are ready to give up on Chiarot and Lowry is beyond me

Get rid of dead weight like Stuart, Thorburn, Burmi, Peluso

At least, Pardy and Halischuk are gone...

Agree that THorbs, Burmi & Peluso serve little purpose on a high-flying skilled team (except for Peluso being kept as thug insurance).

Took the Jets too long to realize Jiri Tlusty was all used up but they made a mistake letting the other vet they had go.

Lowry will be given full opportunity to win the 3rd or 4th line centre spot. If he can't snag a job he'll be waived and picked up by a floundering bottom-feeding team for his grit/skill combination.

Stuart will be kept around as the 6th or 7th d-man, mostly by virtue of his substantial (for his talent level) contract. If Morrisey gets the call - Stuart will be kept around as a healthy scratch.

Would be nice to trade Burmistrov for something, anything. Perhaps Burmi and that KHL Russian the Jets still have rights to.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Look at Ryan Ellis.  If that guy can play in the NHL Morrissey should be able to play as well. And don't get me started on Enstrom...

Not a fan of Enstrom either but the Jets are burdened with him by virtue of his 5 million+ no-move contract. However, Tiny Toby passes better than any Jet blue-liner and his puck-handling skill set is better than most NHL d-men. His weakness obviously is that he's terribly soft, rarely challenges guys in front of his own net and loses too many puck battles along the boards.  Morrissey is obviously bigger than Enstrom but I don't think his skill set is at the same level - and he lacks Toby's experience. He's probably marginally better physically (almost any NHL d-man would be) than Toby. If Toby was tradeable or his contract was up - Morrissey would be an automatic. Or they'd have to get ahold of Kris Russell.

Edited by Root

10 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Laine-Scheif-Wheeler

Perrault-Little-Ehlers

Lemieux-Lowry-Connor

Dano-Armia-Copp

...maybe not at the start, but soon

I like what you're thinking but that 2nd line is scary non-gritty. Little and Perrault try hard but they're no match for bigger stronger opponents. If Ehlers matures physically he might be the most physical of the 3.

29 minutes ago, Root said:

I like what you're thinking but that 2nd line is scary non-gritty. Little and Perrault try hard but they're no match for bigger stronger opponents. If Ehlers matures physically he might be the most physical of the 3.

Speed makes up for 'grit'... ask Tampa Bay.  Chicago did this too...

1st line - big and fast, 2nd line - faster, smaller, 3rd line - big, heavy game

44 minutes ago, Root said:

yeah Little and Perrault would get bullied around too much.

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler (Maurice has already said as much)

Perrault-Little-Laine (two vets and a rookie)

Connor-Burmi-Armia (playmakers and scorers)

Copp -Lowry- Dano (a solid 4th line)

Staf is traded for whatever you can get for him. We aren't winning the cup this year so give some kids the ice time.

Thorbs is in the pressbox.

Peluso is wearing antlers.

Chiarot Buff

Morrissey Trouba

Enstrom Myers

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler (Maurice has already said as much)

Perrault-Little-Laine (two vets and a rookie)

Connor-Burmi-Armia (playmakers and scorers)

Copp -Lowry- Dano (a solid 4th line)

Staf is traded for whatever you can get for him. We aren't winning the cup this year so give some kids the ice time.

Thorbs is in the pressbox.

Peluso is wearing antlers.

Chiarot Buff

Morrissey Trouba

Enstrom Myers

You would put rookie Connor next to Burmi and year two Armia? That's asking for trouble. That's death. Maurice doesn't trust Burmi and he had troubles creating last year.

You've got your top dman playing with a borderline NHLer? Chariot was not good enough last year after a promising rookie campaign.

Next, you're putting a rookie up with Trouba? Feels like you're asking for trouble. I'm not sure that Morrissey showed enough last year for him to make the big team. Another year in the A would be good.  

Your third pairing is the most experienced group any likely should be 2nd.  

My prediction, based on the current line up:

Trouba-Buff

Enstrom-Myers 

Stuart-Postma 

Not sure what to do with that third pairing but I don't think they sit Stuart in October. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

You would put rookie Connor next to Burmi and year two Armia? That's asking for trouble. That's death. Maurice doesn't trust Burmi and he had troubles creating last year.

You've got your top dman playing with a borderline NHLer? Chariot was not good enough last year after a promising rookie campaign.

Next, you're putting a rookie up with Trouba? Feels like you're asking for trouble. I'm not sure that Morrissey showed enough last year for him to make the big team. Another year in the A would be good.  

Your third pairing is the most experienced group any likely should be 2nd.  

My prediction, based on the current line up:

Trouba-Buff

Enstrom-Myers 

Stuart-Postma 

Not sure what to do with that third pairing but I don't think they sit Stuart in October. 

Who are you going to play Kyle Connor with Lowry?

35 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Who are you going to play Kyle Connor with Lowry?

At least, guys can play with Lowry... Burmi is a tough linemate to have.

Matthias might be signed to be that guy... Connor-Matthias-Stafford as 3rd, Thorburn-Burmi-Lowry as 4th

Funny, took a quick look at Burmi's fancy stats - he was a lot better playing for Noel...

Edited by Floyd

Nobody seems to be picking Stafford on any of the predicted lines.

While its obvious Chevy is trying to hatch a deal to trade him elsewhere - his contract is big enough to warrant 3rd or 4th line participation; either replacing Copp, Burmi or someone else on a good 2-way 3rd line w/ Lowry at centre or the scoring touch on an otherwise gritty 4th line.

Lowry and Stafford were awful together last year. Just awful. 

Best way to answer the question would be by saying the guys who think they are a lock to make the team outside of the obvious scheif wheeler Perreault ehlers Laine little at forward. 

I  think those 6 are guaranteed. I think Connor starts with the jets also. So basically you have maybe 4 or 5 spots up for grabs at forward. I also think Thorburn will be the 13th forward. 

Edited by Goalie