End of Season Report Card

Ducky

I posted the following as a mid-season report card…. I have adjusted the grades, if needed, and extra comments in bold. The grades are on the whole season.

Here is my half season report card on the Jets. If a 4th liner plays better than expected, he might get a better grade than a 1st liner not doing as well as expected but may be still being better than the 4th liner.  

Chevy        C

Gets marks for not making any rash decisions while the Jets aren’t doing well and for stocking the cupboard with great picks at the draft. Loses marks for letting the Buff/Ladd situation drag past Christmas and not doing anything about the LHD depth.

B+

Chevy stuck to his guns and didn’t buckle to Ladd’s demands and overpay him and got a very good return on Ladd. Also, by giving Buff 7.6m per year, he is showing everyone around the league that the Jets will pay if you are worth it. He realized they weren’t making the postseason and acted accordingly. It’ll be interesting to see what he does in the off-season.

Maurice     C

Started Petan when he should have been sent down. Not very good special teams. Playing Stu/Peluso too much. Marks for switching around lines looking for good combos and for not letting the team get down and to continue trying to play the right way.

Maurice’s grade stays the same for much the same reasons as above. He plays Stu too much and doesn’t play players like Petan and Armia with offensive minded players enough. Also, he didn’t play Postma until he was more or less forced to. Still playing Stu on the PK even though he is the worst PKer in the league statistically.

Forwards

Dano      C

Dano has played relatively well and isn’t afraid to go to the tough spots and spaces.

Ladd          C- Very inconsistent play at the beginning of the season. Starting to play better in the last 7-8 games has saved him from a D grade. The nastiness in his game is starting to co me out again.

C

Ladd’s grade goes up because his play improved before the trade and how he handled everything surrounding a possible trade with the utmost class.

Little          B

Has played fairly consistent and probably through some injuries. Second leading scorer that kills penalties and plays the PP.

Little’s grade doesn’t change mainly because he got hurt and was on pace for a 60 point season.

Wheeler      A+

Has played well all season and is in the top 10 in scoring in the league and is a team leader for the Jets. He also kills penalties and plays the PP. Best player on the team all year.

Grade stays the same as he was the team’s MVP this year.

Perreault     B

Started slowly and that cost him a B+ grade. Excellent on the PP and on pace for a 53 point season. Gives it his all every shift same as Wheeler. Finishes checks and is good with the puck. If Myers played with his moxie, he'd be a Norris contender.

Grade stays the same. He can really create offense when playing with the right players but hasn’t played a full season.

Scheif         B

Scheif went MIA for a sting earlier or I would have gave him a B+ or an A. Developing very nicely and is on pace for 47 points. Probably be the captain of the team one day.

A-     Grade goes up because he upped his game when called upon to take on the 1C role. Future captain of the team.

Ehlers         C

Started nicely but has slowed considerably. The fast start saved him from a D grade. Needs to be better in his own end without the puck and has to put some points on the board and become more consistent offensively.

B  Ehler’s mark moves up a full grade because his game really picked up in the 2nd half especially when teamed with Scheif and Wheeler. His D game has improved but he still needs some work in his D zone. A star in the making.

Staf            B +         

One of the most consistent Jets. Plays PP, PK, does everything that is asked of him and scores big goals.

B-  His grade goes down. Staf seems to go away for a long periods of time and he is almost invisible ……. this was really noticeable in the 2nd half. Still scored over 20 goals and that is no small feat in this league.

Lowry        D 

A horrible start to the season saw him shipped to the Moose until Scheif was hurt. Playing better since the recall.

C-  His grade goes up marginally because his game improved marginally. As of the last 6 or 7 games, he has played really well but the grade is on the season.

Burmi         C+

His game has come around nicely in the last 10 games and especially on the line with Lowry and Ladd. Good defensively. Needs to shoot more.

Burmi’s grade stays the same. He over handles the puck too much and gives it up in the O zone way too much.

Thorbs        B-

Another player that does everything that is asked of him.

C +   His played dropped off in the 2nd half and he should be in the press box most of next season.

Copp          B-

Copp hasn’t looked out of place and is very good defensively. He is having a very steady year.

Grade stays the same. Copp plays well defensively and hopefully will one day crack the 3rd line.

Armia         C+

Not many games but certainly hasn’t looked out of place. Good positioning in the D zone, he has soft hands and is a good passer.

Armia’s injury came at a most inopportune time. He could have got a lot of 2nd line minutes if not hurt. He was really coming on before the injury. Grade stays the same.

Peluso        C

Peluso played well when he was called on.

C-

He does what is expected of him but takes too many penalties. Should be playing on the Moose next year.

Petan          C-

Nic was a bit of a disappointment and was sent down to continue his development and is doing well on the Moose.

C    I moved his grade up because he has played well and has showed improvement since his first tour earlier this season.

Halischuk   B-

Again, not many games but played the PK and brought a lot of energy to the 4th line.

He does what is asked of him and never complains about anything. A good emergency call up this year. Grade stays the same.

Defencemen

Buff           B

Has been the best D man this year. He hasn’t taken too many games off and a LOT of the Jets’ Offense starts with him. Better defensively than most people give him credit for and breaks up a lot of p lays because he has such great anticipation and sees plays developing.

B+  

Buff’s grade goes up as he has played a good, sound D game while adding offense and didn’t give up even when eliminated from the postseason. Shows the youngsters what it takes to be a pro.

Trouba        C-

His play the last 10-12 games has brought him up from a D grade. Started badly  and was downright horrible some games earlier this season.

I wanted to move him up to a C but every 4th game or so he sucks big time…..needs to be more consistent. Grade stays the same.

Myers          C+

He has played well after an early start but takes off a bit too much still and gets caught up ice too often. His hockey IQ doesn’t match his skill. Has played well on the PP as of late.

Grade stays the same and I can’t really expand too much on his mid-season report. A lot of it remains the same. I did expect more O from him this year.

Enstrom       B-

Toby has been our best defensive defenseman this year. Great first passes out of the D zone. Too small to win many battles against the boards brings his grade down fro m a B+.

Grade stays the same. A calming influence on the blueline and players play much better when paired with him.

Chiarot        D

Has played well below expectations and was sat for a spell in November. Inconsistent play this year.

I’d like to up his grade but like Trouba, every 4th or so game sucks very badly. Grade stays the same.

Stuart          D-

A train wreck and a defenseman that makes poor decisions with the puck. The worst grade possible.  

If there was a lower mark (pun intended), he would get it.

Pardy          C-

He got in for a few games but didn’t leave a great impression. Slow skater.

Grade stays the same mainly because of so few games played before being traded.

Postma        C-

Not many games at all but not the best defence-oriented defenceman on the team.

Grade stays the same although I almost gave him a C. Seems to be getting better the more games he played.

Goalies

Hutch          D

Started well but hasn’t won a game he has started since the end of October. Nuff said.

Grade stays the same. His ceiling is probably a journeyman backup.

Helle           A-

I really wanted to give him an A but getting pulled after a poor showing the other week brings it down….if he had more games under his belt, it might not have. It’s still very early in his career but he looks to be the future goaltender for the Jets for years to come.

B+   His grade goes down a bit because his play dropped off before being sent back down.

Pavs            C-

Didn’t play well or consistent before getting hurt and needs to play better when he returns as either he or Hutch will be moved….farm or trade.

I almost gave him a D but he has been better than Hutch so………..grade stays the same.

Average team mark is a low C.

Overall team mark is an average C.

Average management mark is a C.  

B-        Chevy’s handling of Buff and Ladd and picking up Tanev brings the management’s mark up.

Did I forget anyone?

Edited by Ducky

Melchiori deserves at least a C+. Called up with no experience to talk about and has played well. Was cutting down on D zone mistakes the more he played...unlike another D man I won't mention....seems to play with a bit of an edge too....

I would much rather see Melchiori as a 3rd pairing D man than Stuart but I think our 3rd pairing D man should be Chiarot and I think Chiarot > Melchiori > Stuart..... Chiarot would be adequate as a 3rd D man if he played like he did the last 15 or so games. Give TO our pick if it is 8th or 9th and Myers for Reilly. Even if we have to sweeten the deal it would be a huge improvement for our back end and he was drafted same year as Trouba and is debatably about as good.....(is debatably a word?).... Buff, Trouba, Enstrom, Reilly, Morrissey and Postma/Chiarot would make up a really nice D corps.

Frosty gets promoted to a newly created position in the organization that only answers to Chipman....he oversees everything..........Chipman calls him The director and has a camera crew follow him around as Frosty steers Chevy and his staff in the right direction for their first Stanley Cup in 2018-2019. Nobody can keep up with the team and they are mentioned in the same breath as the 80s Oilers and 50s and 70s Habs.... The team goes on to win its 6th cup in a row breaking records along the way....Captain Scheifele (Art Ross Winner for the 4th straight year) says the team has the Allstar goaltending duo of Helle/Comrie plus the twin 50 goal scorers of Ehlers and Connor as well as MVP Matthews and 6 time Norris winner Trouba to thank for their dynasty.......Everyone calls Winnipeg Winnerpeg without even realizing it.....a movie comes out about Frosty called "Shenkarow couldn't Run a team if His Life Depended On It" and it goes on to set records at the Oscars. Frosty wins for Best Producer and Best Director........tragedy befalls the team as of this writing as the team was taken to South America by Chipman and Thomson as a reward for winning the cup and their plane goes missing over the Andes.........everyone still has hope that they are still "Alive".

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

Frosty gets promoted to a newly created position in the organization that only answers to Chipman....he oversees everything..........Chipman calls him The director and has a camera crew follow him around as Frosty steers Chevy and his staff in the right direction for their first Stanley Cup in 2018-2019. Nobody can keep up with the team and they are mentioned in the same breath as the 80s Oilers and 50s and 70s Habs.... The team goes on to win its 6th cup in a row breaking records along the way....Captain Scheifele (Art Ross Winner for the 4th straight year) says the team has the Allstar goaltending duo of Helle/Comrie plus the twin 50 goal scorers of Ehlers and Connor as well as MVP Matthews and 6 time Norris winner Trouba to thank for their dynasty.......Everyone calls Winnipeg Winnerpeg without even realizing it.....a movie comes out about Frosty called "Shenkarow couldn't Run a team if His Life Depended On It" and it goes on to set records at the Oscars. Frosty wins for Best Producer and Best Director........tragedy befalls the team as of this writing as the team was taken to South America by Chipman and Thomson as a reward for winning the cup and their plane goes missing over the Andes.........everyone still has hope that they are still "Alive".

Not enuf love I can hand out for this posting.

3 hours ago, Jacquie said:

I've noticed you haven't made any mention of Trouba or Chariot playing on their off sides.

If that is directed at me, I don't consider Chiarot a top 4 D man and not sure who he was paired with (Stu for a couple of games) when he played RHD....Trouba has struggled a bit on the left side...ideally, Maurice would rather have him play the right side......

Sure Let's try this...

Goalies

Pav - He gets an F - Sorry but he's getting paid big bucks and putting up numbers similar to guys on league minimum. That matters. He has been one of the biggest issues this year and in the past years for sure. When is enough enough with this guy? 

Hutch - D. He was pretty bad at times and pretty good at times. His numbers are similar to a guy getting paid 4 or 5 x the amount that he is. He might be as bad as PAvelec but at the same time, he got paid peanuts compared to Pavelec

Helle - B. What more do you expect from the guy? Played really well, won games we had no business of winning, played at a time that the Jets had a very hard time scoring more than 2 goals a game really. Played quite well. 

D men

Buff - A. He signed a new deal, committed to WPG and the Jets. He put up good numbers and was solid defensively. Good Buff for sure. 

Myers - B. Had a slow start but really picked up his game. Solid Contributor for sure.

Trouba - C. I guess i'll say the Stuart effect played a role here but... at the same time, he's a young developing D man who showed some pretty good potential, People talk about wanting a defensive D man, Trouba seems to be developing in to that guy. Get him away from Stuart and he plays much better. 

Enstrom - C . Yeah he's small, yeah he's paid a ton, yeah he struggled but... he's our best LHD man by far

Stuart - F. Really, why bother with this guy anymore. He's regressed badly

Chiarot - D. Really struggled for most of the year, only looked semi capable when playing with Buff, not a top 4 d man, but might be ok playing his proper side on the bottom pairing

Melchiori - B. Guy looked like a tire fire on the Moose, looked calm and strong on the Jets, still a bad skater and pretty slow, call him Stuart JR i guess but... he actually surprised me with how well he played altho he did play some very sheltered minutes

Forwards

Ehlers- B. Solid rookie year for The Dashing Dane. Got better as the year went on and got better the second he got away from Thorburn. Worst coaching move of the year is putting a kid with that much skill with a plug like Thorburn. 

Scheif - A. He turned in to that top line center that they thought he would be, Guy was a force and his line with Ehlers and Wheeler absolutely dominated, A great example of this is against LA, Sutter got the Kopitar line away from ESW cuz ESW owned Kopitar. 

Wheeler- A. He's our best all around player. Leader. 

Little - C. Off year for Mr Little for sure, not as good as he was last year or the years before. Perhaps would have reached  20 goals but...he had a down year

Perreault - C. Again, not as good but consistent, injuries seem to be a concern with Perrault

Stafford - C. Say what you want but he put up 20 goals yet again, not good in his own zone at all and doesn't really seem to fit in to what the Jets are building but a solid contributor in the O zone who went missing for huge stretches of the season, needs to be more consistent but he is what he is. 

Burmi - D. Sorry but didn't impress me at all, had a solid maybe 10 games but the other 72 were pretty lacklustre, Might make a good 4th line guy who can PK but with the talent we have, not sure he has a place on the team in the future.

Lowry - D. Just though he struggled mightily. Has very little O instinct but at the same time is a good D zone player, He'd be a damn fine 4th line Center tho

Thorburn - D. Theres going to be a theme here among our bottom 6, Really struggles in his own zone badly, not a smart player at all, should be in the press box next season if this team is serious about trying to win games. Would like to see him traded as I feel that he has naked pictures of Maurice or something because, no way should Thorburn be playing 3rd or 2nd line minutes EVER on this team and he did this year, Really guys who play with him, they basically seem to produce nothing

Copp - C. Had lower expectations for him than i DID lowry so Copp gets a C. Kid has some skill for sure, seems to be strong in his own zone and seemed to have concentrated on that more this year, But showed some pretty good O potential when paired with guys who have some skill. Keep him away from Thorburn and he's a good player. That Petan Copp Armia line was very very good. 

Peluso - NR. Didn't play enough.

Dano - NR - Liked what I saw from him, goes to the dirty areas where other Jets players don't, saw him open lots of times in front of the net, good in the D zone and a guy who likes to throw the body around, Not Rated due to just not enough of a sample size really

Armia - C. The Enigma for sure. Looked amazing at times, not so much at others. Really good bottom 6 player  who has some pretty high end skill and is very good in his own zone, Needs to show more finish tho, But is a perfect 3rd line RW.

Petan - NR - Again not really enough of a sample size for him but... from the start of the season when he was with the big club to the last 10 or so games he was here was night and day for sure, PAC was our 2nd best line the last several games, high end skill for sure. 

Maurice - I dunno what to grade him. He's the coach and the team had good individual play but... he made some very interesting head scratching coaching decisions... He said the PP and PK were on him so need to take that in to account also... I'll give him a C - because i think there were coaches in the league who had less talent on their team that got more out of them, Don't like Maurices love affair with guys like Stu and Thorburn, it hurts the team. Don't like his handling of some of the younger guys at times, putting Ehlers with Thorburn was just stupid. C -

Chevy - B. Jets did what they said they were gonna do, They got younger (that wasn't the issue tho), he signed Buff to a big deal,  traded Ladd for what will be a pick in the 20 to 24 range, got a nice prospect in Dano, Signed Tanev when 4 or 5 other teams were interested also.. plus just signed Kyle Connor so all in all, i think Chevy did a good job and I think some people are actually a little bit 2 hard on the guy. It's hard to give chevy a lower grade when i think the bright spots for the team outside of Wheeler and Buff were all guys Chevy has drafted. 

Remember when the coach was really high on Lowry at the beginning of the year.....   biggest drop off for any guy on this club that's for sure.

Stuart ,  I still don't think he's nearly as bad as the few guy son here make him out to be.    I assume he's kept around because of his locker room presence and he's a good team player.    It would be nice if he could stay in the city... maybe as a Moose guy.

Stuart is actually worse than those of on here says he is. He is one of the worst d men in the league and stats back it up. I love when people say locker room guy cuz really.... are we running a day care or trying to win hockey games 

Edited by Goalie

3 hours ago, Ducky said:

I would like to see Copp, Lowry and Lemieux on the 4th but which one plays RW?

Got to figure out 3rd line first.  Which ATM i see as Perreault/Lowry and someone whose a RW.

Armia? Did not impress me down the stretch but who else.

Damn we have a lot of guys who shoot left.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

What I think Maurice will do.....

Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler

Connor Little Staf

Perreault Lowry Armia

Tanev Copp Dano

What I would do...

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler              They were dominant late this season

Connor Little Armia                  Little and Armia are strong enough defensively and Connor adapts fast

Copp Perreault Dano               I think this could be a really good line after they play together for 20 games or so

Lemieux/Petan Lowry Dano                   This line could see 11-12 minutes a game

Staf is gone and so is Burmi...Tanev and Petan/Lemieux and Peluso are on the Moose and Thorbs is riding the pine.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

This is the only place I've read that has harped on Stuart. Radio hasn't mentioned him at all either.

If he was so terrible why didn't the team dump him during the trade deadline.

He wasn't traded is because he isn't a UFA this summer.  In fact he is under contract for 2 more years, and most playoff calibre teams don't want to commit to the $2.6M cap hit for the next 2 years.

Typically only pending UFAs get traded at the deadline.

Just now, Brandon said:

This is the only place I've read that has harped on Stuart. Radio hasn't mentioned him at all either.

If he was so terrible why didn't the team dump him during the trade deadline.

Im pretty sure i've heard the guys on 1290 repeatedly dump on him.  They just aren't as direct as people here. 

There are conspiracy theories, such as who his wife is.  But they traded Andrew Ladd so they will trade anyone.  I think they like Stu but probably realise he's regressed.  Maurice gives veterans greater leeway and opportunity to come out of a slump.  And we're weak on the Left Side and weak on the bottom two.  So he keeps his spot for that reason.

If Morrissey wins a job out of camp, I dont think they keep Stu.  It all depends.  If he's the best of a bad lot, he stays.  But if Trouba is going to play LHD moving forward, it means your depth chart is Enstrom - Trouba - Stu.  But there is Morrissey to consider.  if he's better than Stu then Stu will go.  Saves money and the kid is faster and more skilled.

I'd look at Stu as a potential deadline deal next season to a team wanting veteran depth.