End of Season Report Card

Ducky

Read a few other forums, people dump on Stu ALL the time with valid reasons. He is a liability and I would rather see Melchiori or Chiarot start ahead of Stu but that won't happen. He'll probably play out his contract here or be traded at the TD in his last year. As Rich mentioned, he has 2 more years left after this season so a TD deal next year isn't likely. Stu is a defensive minded D man and the only other one we have is Trouba and Buff to an certain extent. Morrissey doesn't replace Stu........Chiarot or Postma maybe but I can't see Maurice sitting Stu.

I think if you put stu on waivers he clears and can go play on the moose. The nhl has passed Stuart by. He would be a good vet tho on the moose. Same with thorburn for that matter. These "good in the lockerrom" guys shouldn't be holding any younger players back. They should be in the A showing them the way. Wouldn'tbe surprised if stu or Thor or both are in the A with the moose soon. Don't see any team in the league claiming them. If they do. Great. If not. You get some much needed vet leadership for the moose. The Jets don't need those 2 when they have buff Wheeler Perreault Little Stafford even as vets. 

They also had Chipman on for 90 minutes. Fantastic interview. 

Said the canadian dollar has no impact at all. 

Said he doesn't make decisions on hockey ops. Chevy does.  Chevy had said Chipman would have input into the next captain and Chipman said he shouldn't. Said he would always offer advice when asked but it's not his place 

Said Chevy has done a fantastic job and they will discuss an extension 

Said they spent less money this year simply because they were in the low end of team salary cycle and will spend significantly more this summer. 

Said chevy doesn't have an internal budget and that budget decisions aren't made on a daily basis, that the salary is what it is and will rise as their players' need new contracts. 

He did at one point sort of off handed remarked about being a cap team. He was talking about the success of the jets and how they reinvest profits back into the organization including on players. And they want to keep paying down debt and improving the company to ensure success and "being a cap team". 

he was asked about a succession plan which led to the above answer and added that they have a plan to make sure the jets never ever leave regardless of ownership. 

i tuned out for a moment but i think he said he would love to have Ladd back and told him that. 

He was asked about not letting fans have fun namely the Helmet Pardy and the tracksuit night. He said that was on him. He said he thought it was inappropriate to glorify what happened to Pardy. And he didn't seem to think they hampered fans on tracksuit night but Hustler said security was rough on people. Chipman did say the tracksuit incident was an unpleasant thing for them and didn't feel it was appropriate to make light of. 

He did challenge Gary's opinion that the team was flat due to the whole kane thing that game. 

He said he didn't think hockey needed fighting. He really struggled to answer and you could tell he didn't want to offend fans who like it. But it was clear he would be glad to see it eliminated. 

he said the owners don't know much about expansion and will have a chance to vote and he hasn't made a decision yet. Will consider the proposal before voting 

Said they will Honor the history of the jets both NHL and WHA in a major way that the fans will love. 

Said Thomson doesn't get to many games but always watches wherever he is and wears his jets shirt every day when he works out. Says Thomson loves hockey and loves the team and is engaged, they talk on a regular basis. 

Says they do not pay themselves (himself and david) a cut of profits which seemed to surorise Gary. Was a bit sheepish about admitting that they pour profits back into the company, didn't want to seem like he was patting himself on the back. 

Said they pay down debt. And invest in the arena and hockey ops. Said they have spent $40m on the building and it will be $60m by the time they are done all the upgrades in a few years. 

Said TNS will have a positive impact as it makes the company more profitable. 

13 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Wonder what the debt part is per se.

He referred to the "investment" that was made in acquiring the team. So Id suspect the $200m. And the improvements to MTSC. He said the bulk of the $40m they spent was in the first season. 

It was always assumed Thomson put out the cash to buy the thrashers and that's probably true. I recall Chipman referring to Thomson having made it possible. But I assume his money was an investment into True North and converted into debt to be paid back over time. 

i loved the succession planning question because it's very interesting.  Chipman's daughters are still young but you wonder if he hopes they take over the family business one day. 

Mark's assertion that they intend the company to be strong enough that the Jets will never ever leave was good to hear. 

6 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Wonder what the debt part is per se.

Ilya Kovalchuk gonna get invited to the Alumni game? He should.

Like to see improvements to the game day experience. Better music, cheaper beer and some of these

usatsi_6950246.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

I disagree on Kovalchuk.  They are celebrating the "Jets" history, not the franchise history.

People are more excited about the alumni game then the actual NHL outdoor game.  Why?  Because it is a chance to see all the players a lot of us grew up watching, following, and cheering for.

Who here has even a remote connection to Kovalchuk other then the respect you would give to any NHL superstar.     

Thanks for posting that TUP.

To me it just shows what kind of ownership that the Jets are party to, and, IMO, it suits Winnipeg just fine. Manitoba should be proud to have a strong ownership group who don't put frivolous things ahead of integrity. Everything they have tried to do puts the fans and Winnipeg ahead of personal recognition. 

Bravo..

Oh regarding Game Day, a fan beat him up for not having an organ at MTSC and the fan even said "I know you'll say you dont have the room".  Chipman said one of his staff (cant remember who but the game day producer or someone of that ilk) has been asking for an organ.  Chipman said "room" isnt the issue and they could fit an organ in if they wanted to and its something they are considering.

He also said True North sold the piece of property related to True North Square where the hotel is going and said "we have nothing to do with that development".  Explained it as feeling they should let someone who's more experienced at hotel development do it.  He didnt expand on that but given the importance of that and everything related to the Convention Centre I'd suspect there were agreements in place to ensure it's built and connected to TNS.

6 minutes ago, Ducky said:

It is going to be a Sutton Hotel and he said it was best that someone in the business take care of it. They sold that parcel of land to the group that are building and running the hotel. The Gaglardi family I think.

Yes, correct.  Northland Properties.  They own Sutton, Sandman, Chop etc.  (Look for a Chop inside the Sutton Hotel when its built).  And the family owns the Dallas Stars too.  So Chipman kept the deal in the NHL family.

• 2 weeks later...

EDM would rather dump RNH. Eberle is a straight up goal guy so major win for us. It's like Nash getting Ryan Johansen for Seth Jones. Looks good on paper.

But why wouldnt they just trade Eberle for Hamonic? They need shutdown D not offensive D.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

41 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

EDM would rather dump RNH. Eberle is a straight up goal guy so major win for us. It's like Nash getting Ryan Johansen for Seth Jones. Looks good on paper.

But why wouldnt they just trade Eberle for Hamonic? They need shutdown D not offensive D.

If you believe the rumours Hanonic doesn't have a short list of multiple teams. He has one team. Period. 

Burmi could be thrown in as well and something else. Myers is what they need and he and a great contract. 

Yup and Eberle plays softer than Myers for God's sake.

The expansion draft will have a huge bearing on NHL trading this season.

The draft also will determine who, if any, will be traded.

I am not in favor of moving out Myers for a forward. I'd consider Myers and ? for RNH if we don't get a good center in this draft though. It'll give Trouba more O time but do we really need a guy now so we leave someone else unprotected if there is an expansion draft? I'd wait until things are clearer and am sure the Jets will wait until all the dust settles this summer.