Wrestling

Rich

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

Really enjoyed the night. Don was the highlight for me. Felt bad for the championship match at the end that they had to go on after them. Room was really dead and a lot of people had left.

Thank you for coming!  Glad you had a good time.  I was actually very impressed with how many people stayed.  That was a really great crowd (loud, enthusiastic).  Don was great!

This is a bit old, but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere on this topic -- Joey Ryan replaced Eli Drake on an Impact card after Drake refused to wrestle Tessa Blanchard, says he won't do intergender matches.

I've got strong opinions on this but I'll just say that you see itty-bitty guys like Rey Mysterio taking on jacked dudes all the time and no one blinks an eye -- Tessa Blanchard isn't much smaller than Rey Mysterio.

https://twitter.com/TheEliDrake/status/1099044040924753

https://twitter.com/TheEliDrake/status/1099044040924753920

Edited by johnzo

4 minutes ago, johnzo said:

This is a bit old, but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere on this topic -- Joey Ryan replaced Eli Drake on an Impact card after Drake refused to wrestle Tessa Blanchard, says he won't do intergender matches.

I've got strong opinions on this but I'll just say that you see itty-bitty guys like Rey Mysterio taking on jacked dudes all the time and no one blinks an eye -- Tessa Blanchard isn't much smaller than Rey Mysterio.

https://twitter.com/TheEliDrake/status/1099044040924753

https://twitter.com/TheEliDrake/status/1099044040924753920

Drake is getting a lot of heat over this.  I think its more of an ego thing.  

The whole men vs women is pretty silly in wrestling.  For most women wrestlers, they have worked with men a lot.  Their trainers are almost always men (remember it was a big deal when WWE hired Sara Del Rey to work at the performance centre, later also adding Winnipeg's Sarah Stock).  They always work men when their first starting out because most indy promotions dont have a lot of women wrestlers.

So Drake's point that its not realistic, well, wrestling isnt really that realistic in the first place.  Watch a UFC fight and then watch a WWE match.  

I sort of think you want to avoid women vs men when you get to a certain level because you should be pushing women rather then making the point that they arent as good by having them work men.  But as part of a story, sure, why not?  Who cares, really.

And not working Tessa??  Like geeeze, she's great.  Super fit and strong.  Drake was wrong.

WWE's schedule for the year came out.

Interestingly, they are doing TV in MSG in September.  Gee I wonder why lol

Also, looks like two shows in Saudi Arabia.

And the new touring schedule when SD airs on FOX is Thursday - Sunday for SD and Friday-Monday for RAW.  House show profits are down so they should really just cut back to give the boys a break.  

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Drake is getting a lot of heat over this.  I think its more of an ego thing.  

The whole men vs women is pretty silly in wrestling.  For most women wrestlers, they have worked with men a lot.  Their trainers are almost always men (remember it was a big deal when WWE hired Sara Del Rey to work at the performance centre, later also adding Winnipeg's Sarah Stock).  They always work men when their first starting out because most indy promotions dont have a lot of women wrestlers.

So Drake's point that its not realistic, well, wrestling isnt really that realistic in the first place.  Watch a UFC fight and then watch a WWE match.  

I sort of think you want to avoid women vs men when you get to a certain level because you should be pushing women rather then making the point that they arent as good by having them work men.  But as part of a story, sure, why not?  Who cares, really.

And not working Tessa??  Like geeeze, she's great.  Super fit and strong.  Drake was wrong.

He's a moron, plain & simple.  His using the ficticious example of Brock vs Rhonda as proof that inter-gender matches aren't realistic is absolutely idiotic.  It's no more unrealistic than a guy like Elsworth taking on Strowman (which did happen).

For what he's saying to be true, you have to completely ignore the millions of completely ridiculous things that have happened in wrestling history.  News flash for Drake, nobody actually gave birth to a hand, the Undertaker isn't really dead, Kane isn't his brother and his face isn't burnt.  But I guess it's still real for him damn it!

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

He's a moron, plain & simple.  His using the ficticious example of Brock vs Rhonda as proof that inter-gender matches aren't realistic is absolutely idiotic.  It's no more unrealistic than a guy like Elsworth taking on Strowman (which did happen).

For what he's saying to be true, you have to completely ignore the millions of completely ridiculous things that have happened in wrestling history.  News flash for Drake, nobody actually gave birth to a hand, the Undertaker isn't really dead, Kane isn't his brother and his face isn't burnt.  But I guess it's still real for him damn it!

Its funny because occasionally even I experience guys not wanting to lay down or whatever.  And to me, if I was a worker and asked to lay down or work with someone who, realistically, shouldn't have a sniff of beating me, I'd do it...and make it magnificent.  Ive seen guys going over put in half assed performance.  But when you get tapped to do a job or a weird spot and you make it amazing, it does not go unnoticed.

If Drake worked Tessa and make it awesome, everyone would know and he'd have been more over.  Especially today.  Years ago, sure maybe if you lose, it hurts you.  Fans today, they respect the art and athleticism more than the outcome.

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I guess Ambrose is gone as I never saw him on Raw.  Not even in any storylines, now. 

Thats the chatter.  WWE apparently upped their offer significantly but he's still planning to leave.    Anderson & Gallows are up this year as well.  Sin Cara & Dustin Rhodes too.  Dustin denied he had left WWE but Cody teased him on an episode of BTE.  Id assume he'd end up in AEW.  At least he can use the Rhodes name.