Wrestling

Rich

49 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Never watched yet but is recorded. Curious to know how many ppl watched it. Hes well known i think but im not convinced hes as well known as some think he is. I like the guy tho. Hes a humble kid from Transcona

Well the basis of the doc is that he's the biggest star you've never heard of, so there is that narrative that he's a huge star, WWE's biggest want, million dollar deals...and so many people havent heard of him.  This was especially true in Winnipeg where I know there was frustration over the lack of interest by our two daily "news"papers.

I think its like anything though.  If the doc about a figure skater is an amazing doc, Im still not watching it.  So I think people who like wrestling will watch it, people who know Kenny will watch it and being on TSN, the benefit is it will reach an audience otherwise not reached, such as casual wrestling fans who arent familiar with Kenny but see a wrestling doc and want to watch it and there will be people who love sports and give a watch because it's Engraved on a Nation.

I think Kenny is more well known than you think but I base that one people I know casually (like in the office) who have Zero interest in wrestling and know nothing past Hulk Hogan who say "Oh I've heard of Kenny Omega" and the huge deal WWE offered him.  Hes more well known in Japan.  Within wrestling, he's a huge star and thats proven by his drawing power.

Hopefully the ratings are good!  But it also could be one of those things where, 5 years from now, more people watch it because he's a bigger American star than he is now.

A few wrestling news and notes from our good friend Uncle Dave (Meltzer)

- Nikki & Brie Bella both announced their retirement.  They will continue under contract to WWE as brand ambassadors

- two lawsuits against the parent company for Lucha Underground were settled with the contractual release of a few wrestlers including Joey Ryan.  The basis for the lawsuit was essentially, guys had 

- Cain Velasquez joining wrestling, appearing for Mexico's AAA to set up a match, as yet unannounced, at their big show TripleMania.

- WWE is trying to lock out all other promotions from running Tampa and area for next year's WrestleMania.  They've tried this before and not been successful.  I see their point but it comes off predatory.

- Eli Drake's contract expires May 31st.  Might have some WWE interest

- All In 2 will be Aug 31st back at the Sears Centre in Chicago.

- Vince sold another 3+ million shares for  $270 million, to fund Alpha Entertainment, the parent of XFL.   So he's over $360 million into the XFL which puts it well ahead of AAF in terms of being well financed for potential early losses.

- Brutus Beefcake should be the final HOF inductee announced on Monday

- WWE ring announcr Jo Jo announced she is pregnant with a baby boy named Knash (Kevin Nash?).  Father is Bray Wyatt.  Jojo's father is former MLB star Jose Offerman so that means Offerman and IRS are basically related (and Barry Windham!).

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

- WWE ring announcr Jo Jo announced she is pregnant with a baby boy named Knash (Kevin Nash?).  Father is Bray Wyatt.  Jojo's father is former MLB star Jose Offerman so that means Offerman and IRS are basically related (and Barry Windham!).

Wait a minute... She's named the baby? Is she pregnant or has given birth? 

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Pregnant but far enough along that she knows its a boy and has a name already.

That seems unusual.

I must be out of touch but how many people publicly name their babies until they're born? 

I know "reveal" parties and announcements have become big deals, which is also bizarre to me. 

And, get off my lawn! 

56 minutes ago, JCon said:

That seems unusual.

I must be out of touch but how many people publicly name their babies until they're born? 

I know "reveal" parties and announcements have become big deals, which is also bizarre to me. 

And, get off my lawn! 

Its not uncommon now.  And they will also set up Facebook and Twitter accounts for their little beans.

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Regarding blocking out other feds from running Mania weekend. Its interesting to me because Cody Rhodes recently said AEW will never run WrestleMania weekend because that is WWEs time, Im not sure about piggybacking off WrestleMania, WCW never did it, AEW won't. Seem like a bush league thing. 

Well to a large degree it IS bush league but thats the point.  Its the bush leagues (I say that in a kind way) that do it because of the eyeballs it brings.  Its good business.  AEW doesnt want to look like TNA or ROH or even New Japan (in the US, they'd love to be compared to New Japan's market share in Japan).  

Business-wise, all those promotions that go and do it, its great for them.  For fans, its also great because it turns  into a massive wrestling-themed vacation.  And those promotions, many of them, are going to put on showcase-level events that weekend because of how many new fans are in town and willing to watch them.

I see why WWE wants to block it, I just think it looks bad because while its meant to hurt the smaller groups, it also hurts the fans.  I dont think many fans who are there end up blowing off WWE events to go see the indie shows.  But I have seen many people who consider all those shows as additional reason to go to WM.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Does Brutus really deserve to be in the HOF and also will Danny Duggan be inducting him lol

Based on the WWE criteria and precedent of some of the guys who are in, yes he does.  Big star for a period of time at the IC level.  Had a few upper card moments, mainly thanks to Hogan.  I would expect Hogan to induct him, but Danny could help write the speech.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Based on the WWE criteria and precedent of some of the guys who are in, yes he does.  Big star for a period of time at the IC level.  Had a few upper card moments, mainly thanks to Hogan.  I would expect Hogan to induct him, but Danny could help write the speech.

Koko_B_Ware_bio.png

On 2019-03-28 at 10:44 AM, JCon said:

That seems unusual.

And, get off my lawn! 

I was at a Mongolian grill restaurant in Seattle last Saturday. There was a "Reveal Party" going on. So many people came there was a huge long lineup at the buffet table. Maybe a hundred guests. Millennials... like I care the sex of your unborn kid? It's also bizarre to me. Why the need for a reveal??? That generation needs to get over itself. 

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I was at a Mongolian grill restaurant in Seattle last Saturday. There was a "Reveal Party" going on. So many people came there was a huge long lineup at the buffet table. Maybe a hundred guests. Millennials... like I care the sex of your unborn kid? It's also bizarre to me. Why the need for a reveal??? That generation needs to get over itself. 

What's good, is that the kids of Millennials will totally reject this foolishness. 

Let's place the blame though on the parents of the Millennials that raised them to think others cared about the sex of their unborn child. 

41 minutes ago, JCon said:

What's good, is that the kids of Millennials will totally reject this foolishness. 

Let's place the blame though on the parents of the Millennials that raised them to think others cared about the sex of their unborn child. 

I never raised our two sons that way. I just hope they don't act foolish if & when their time comes. I also see that some children now are rejecting their parents claims that vaccinations will give them autism. They are questioning how their parents could put them in danger of getting sick & spreading viruses to immune supressed people & infants with absolutely no scientific & medical claims to back up their parents warped beliefs. 

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This definitely was a guy whose shtick & trained Macaw made him a star. Limited wrestling ability as far as I remember. 

Right shtick, right time. Gets in at the end of the Hulk Hogan's Rock'n'Wreslting and Saturday morning Superstars, so kids like me were entranced. 

He and Frankie were great for kids. 

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

So tomorrow he's announced to signing with AEW?

He's already announced that he was negotiating with them but they hadn't reached a deal (as of a week or two ago anyway). 

I'm not sure it gets announced tomorrow (I could see them waiting until they have a TV deal to announce or using BTE to break the news) but I fully expect him to be working there.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

giphy.gif

^ This is me when I watch WWE programming these days. Never really been a fan of the type of light that most stage LEDs throw off. Someone needs to come up with a version that lights a stage or a room more like the older style pot lights. It's more of a wash of light instead of an in your face wall of colour.