Random News Items

Rich

Good comment/advice at an article about a road rage murder:

I have been driving a semi now for over 30 years in Arizona. I see these hot headed drivers everyday. Its not worth it ever to get into it with them. If they want to be in front of me that bad, go ahead. If someone is tailgating me and I know I'm doing the speed limit or in most cases, I'm 5 mph over, I still just move over, let them feel like they won, and life goes on. Its not worth it. You have families to get home to, get home alive, don't get sucked into a battle over a lane, your the better person.

Have to keep that in mind. There have been some road rage killings in wpg.

Edited by Mark F

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Lawyers will get 1/3 at a minimum as well as well as for past work. We might be up to 50%

Taxable?

I'd assume not taxable.  Well, the lawyers portion maybe.  Who knows.

There are a lot of people very uncomfortable with this.  He was 15 years old when he took part in a fire fight with US forces, threw a hand grenade that killed an American.  Pleaded guilty.  And is now getting an apology and a lot of money.

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I'd assume not taxable.  Well, the lawyers portion maybe.  Who knows.

There are a lot of people very uncomfortable with this.  He was 15 years old when he took part in a fire fight with US forces, threw a hand grenade that killed an American.  Pleaded guilty.  And is now getting an apology and a lot of money.

Feels like a giant rehash of the story is coming to Random News Items.

1) Next time the Government should do what they are supposed to do for Canadian citizens held by other governments.

2) There are a number of US soldiers who were there that have said they don't know if he threw the grenade and that it could have been someone else. 

3) If you had been held at Gitmo for 10 years and the only way to get out was to plead guilty, would you do that?

Edited by Jacquie

On 2017-07-04 at 11:33 AM, Atomic said:

Sad state of affairs when we're apologizing to our enemies and giving them money for capturing them when they try to kill us.

except he didn't try.. he did.  A medic no less..

20 hours ago, Jacquie said:

1) Next time the Government should do what they are supposed to do for Canadian citizens held by other governments.

2) There are a number of US soldiers who were there that have said they don't know if he threw the grenade and that it could have been someone else. 

3) If you had been held at Gitmo for 10 years and the only way to get out was to plead guilty, would you do that?

Its possible he plead guilty to get out of jail.  its also possible he plead guilty because he's guilty.

The info about his father taking him there is moot unless its a mitigating circumstance to his own actions.  Plus, we dont shrug off 15/16 year old Canadians for violent crimes (at least we shouldn't). 

I'd strongly suspect that 10 years in Gitmo was a pretty stiff penalty for his actions (not strong enough if you're the family of the dead soldier).  But ten years in prison doesnt get you an apology from the PM and millions of dollars.

This PM is really embarrassing.  His remarks on Canada Day just showed his motivations and bias. 

As a Canadian, I'd like to apologize to our American friends.

Just now, Atomic said:

PM Trudeau is more interested in how the outside world views him than he is in the well-being of Canadian citizens.  He's made this abundantly clear.

This is very true.  He's creating and enhancing his brand.  Its one thing to embrace immigrants but he seems to be guilty of being a Canadian and seems to want those of us born here to feel guilty about it too.  His message is never one of of unity.  its always that he's the smartest guy in the room and we should all be ashamed to not think the way he does. 

22 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I find this very fascinating. There is intriguing evidence that they survived a crash landing.  If they were "rescued" by the Japanese it would explain why there has been some evidence they landed and survived on the island but no bodies were found.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

This is very true.  He's creating and enhancing his brand.  Its one thing to embrace immigrants but he seems to be guilty of being a Canadian and seems to want those of us born here to feel guilty about it too.  His message is never one of of unity.  its always that he's the smartest guy in the room and we should all be ashamed to not think the way he does. 

Pardon? 

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Just read some of his comments.  if you disagree, thats cool. 

No, no for sure, disagreements are welcome.  And I sincerely hope Canada doesn't disintegrate into a "Left vs Right" shitshow that the US has become.  People shouldn't be defined by a party they vote for.  Similarily, I may agree with _____ that party ____ has proposed, doesn't mean I need to be boxed in and be made to follow all other policies. 

My reply was just asking for clarification on what you meant, that's all.