Game 66 : Predators @ Passenger 57

Lawless speculated that the jets could be younger next year. Mentioned both Connor and Lemieux. With that said... yeah little is probably still here next year. 

Lawless is also just speculating.  Kind of like how he did with the scheif contract. After his article about " The Atlanta 5" came out... most players and ppl in the organization stopped talking to him. Many players have said that. So he is speculating. 

Edited by Goalie

Just now, Goalie said:

Lawless speculated that the jets could be younger next year. Mentioned both Connor and Lemieux 

For sure... but I think Connor starts on third line like Ehlers did and Lemieux will be first call up.

Im actually fine with any line up that doesn't include Stuart or Burmi.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Lawless speculated that the jets could be younger next year. Mentioned both Connor and Lemieux. With that said... yeah little is probably still here next year. 

Lawless is also just speculating.  Kind of like how he did with the scheif contract. After his article about " The Atlanta 5" came out... most players and ppl in the organization stopped talking to him. Many players have said that. So he is speculating. 

The senior media correspondent in the city?  Whose voice is heard in every scrum?  Lawless' MO is to "speculate" about things he's pretty sure about.  Maybe he's just really intuitive but I don't believe for a second he was blackballed. 

36 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't like much more than 5m/year for a guy like Scheiff right now. 6 seems really steep. 

I tend to agree.  I guess it depends how you look at it.  Are we paying more on those later years or is Scheif taking less to get a longer commitment?  If they can get him for $5,5m, it probably looks really good in about two years when that would be a bargain for a 25-30 goal scorer (assuming he becomes a consistent scorer).

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I tend to agree.  I guess it depends how you look at it.  Are we paying more on those later years or is Scheif taking less to get a longer commitment?  If they can get him for $5,5m, it probably looks really good in about two years when that would be a bargain for a 25-30 goal scorer (assuming he becomes a consistent scorer).

Lawless was saying the same thing basically.  It might be an over-payment at first, but it can become a steal after that and you have him locked up until he's 30.  He was also saying that being a small market team, they need to "win" a couple cap friendly contracts like that if they want to be competitive.

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

How much do you think he will sign a bridge deal for?   He could very well hit 25 goals this year.  I'm thinking his bridge deal would be something like 2 years for at least $3M per year, and maybe in the 3.5 - 4 range.

Galchenyuk signed a 2 year bridge deal last year for an AAV of 2.8M.   That was coming off a 20G - 46 point season.

Scheifele is already at 21G and 42 points with about 16  games to go.

You are going to have to pay him now or later.  Look at the P.K. Subban deal.    If Scheifele signs for 8, I would give him in the 5 - 6M range.   We have tons of cap space right now, so that $3M savings on his cap hit next year means nothing for us, especially since we aren't going to be a cup contender and trying to maximize cap salary.  

The biggest benefit to the bridge would be if you signed him to 8 years after that and had him under contract for longer.  However you are probably paying him 7 - 8 at that point instead of 5 - 6.

To me, he has shown enough talent and dedication off the ice that I would go 8 years on him.     I would like to see Trouba get a bridge.

You don't bridge Scheiffle...he's earned a long term deal. I just don't think he's ever going to be worth the big money. 6 seems a bit high now, but as mentioned, he at least has the potential to earn that in a few years. I don't think he'll wear the C as long as Wheeler is here, but definitely an A next year.

43 minutes ago, Rich said:

How much do you think he will sign a bridge deal for?   He could very well hit 25 goals this year.  I'm thinking his bridge deal would be something like 2 years for at least $3M per year, and maybe in the 3.5 - 4 range.

Galchenyuk signed a 2 year bridge deal last year for an AAV of 2.8M.   That was coming off a 20G - 46 point season.

Scheifele is already at 21G and 42 points with about 16  games to go.

You are going to have to pay him now or later.  Look at the P.K. Subban deal.    If Scheifele signs for 8, I would give him in the 5 - 6M range.   We have tons of cap space right now, so that $3M savings on his cap hit next year means nothing for us, especially since we aren't going to be a cup contender and trying to maximize cap salary.  

The biggest benefit to the bridge would be if you signed him to 8 years after that and had him under contract for longer.  However you are probably paying him 7 - 8 at that point instead of 5 - 6.

To me, he has shown enough talent and dedication off the ice that I would go 8 years on him.     I would like to see Trouba get a bridge.

Yeah I wouldnt bridge him.  Like you said, the benefit to a bridge is to have him still be an RFA in three years and then you sign the 8 year deal and you ensure you keep the player as long as possible.  But I dont get the impression Scheif will be a hard guy to re-sign down the road.  I'd sign him to an 8 year deal.

Its a feel good story too.  The first draft pick, comes into his own at the end of his final ELC year and signs a max contract and possibly gets the "c"?  Great story.

As for the "C", I'd defer to the players and management.  There are good reasons for either Scheif and Wheeler for those of us on the inside looking in.  But we dont know the inside stuff.  It could very well be that Wheeler tells management that this is going to be Scheif's team and give him the "C".  Scheif made comments recently about learning from Ladd certain aspects of being a leader.  It makes me wonder if Ladd was specifically grooming Scheif for the role of its just stuff Scheif picked up.  Either way, Wheeler seems the most obvious now, but it doesnt mean choosing Mark is the wrong decision.

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

You don't bridge Scheiffle...he's earned a long term deal. I just don't think he's ever going to be worth the big money. 6 seems a bit high now, but as mentioned, he at least has the potential to earn that in a few years. I don't think he'll wear the C as long as Wheeler is here, but definitely an A next year.

If you aren't bridging, I think the only way he signs for under $5M is if your term is only 5ish years.   I'd rather go 8 and have a more reasonable contract in his late 20s.

Been watching him live since he was a rookie and he has made huge strides every year.  Probably has one of the better wrist shots in the league.  He has a legit shot at becoming a true #1 centre and star in the league.

Does anyone know the arbitration rules concerning Scheif and Trouba or just in general? Are they both eligible for arbitration in 3 years? Rich?

I'd sign Scheif for 8 x 6.5m at the top limit. Keep him with the Jets as long as possible. He'd be 31 when it ends.

I'd give Wheeler the C and an A to Scheif. Maurice has mentioned more than once that Scheif will be captain one day but I would give him the A first. Why rush it? If Wheeler moves on in 3 years, give it to him then.

34 minutes ago, Floyd said:

If I'm Trouba, I probably ask for a bridge deal...  a top D's ceiling is pretty high...  

If I'm the Jets, I try to lock down Trouba long-term with a Hamonic type deal - first years around 4 then up to 5 or 5.5

I'd be thrilled if they could lock him up to that, but I find it unlikely with the agent that Trouba has (Kurt Overhardt).

He represented Brandon Dubinsky and Ryan Johansen when they held out as RFAs.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/columbus-blue-jackets-ryan-johansen-dispute-shining-spotlight-on-agent-kurt-overhardt/

Chevy and Trouba's agent are both very stubborn, shrewd negotiators. It'll be interesting to see but I can see Trouba holding out if he doesn't get what he wants. Give him a one year bridge at 3m and tell him to earn his long term.

Trouba's future isn't as certain as Scheifele's so I don't think I would sign him long term unless it was 8 x 5m or so. If you give him 8 x 6m, you are taking a risk. I wouldn't sign him to less than 6 years though.

It'll be interesting to see how Chevy handles this but I ahve fiath in him after the deals he did with Buff and Ladd. He kept the right player and traded the right player. Regardless how Dano turns out, it was probably the best he was going to get.

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

Does anyone know the arbitration rules concerning Scheif and Trouba or just in general? Are they both eligible for arbitration in 3 years? Rich?

I'd sign Scheif for 8 x 6.5m at the top limit. Keep him with the Jets as long as possible. He'd be 31 when it ends.

I'd give Wheeler the C and an A to Scheif. Maurice has mentioned more than once that Scheif will be captain one day but I would give him the A first. Why rush it? If Wheeler moves on in 3 years, give it to him then.

Capture.PNG?ts=1405875176

Scheifele will be 23 by the time the season ends for the Jets again if they sign him to a 7-8 year term you will be buying FA years , his number will probably start a 6.5 mil on the low end , if you don't like that number then you bridge him for 2 years and deal with his big contract later, if he continues to improve the 6.5 could be a bargain

I'd really try for a long-term deal with low real $$ in the first three years and high $$ in the last... say $3, $3, $4, $4, $6,$7, $7 - cap hit $4.5-5

You end up with a reasonable cap hit if you need to trade him later