Game 65 : Toilers @ Jets

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Still blaming Eakins for  Yaks struggles? The guy doesn't want to play in his own end of the ice.. same problem Eberle has but Eberle actually scores goals so it makes people think he's a better player, which he is but both Eberle and Yak are terrible in their own zone. 

Edmonton has issues and if they are picking first, they would be better off trading that pick because what they don't need is yet another forward. 

I think Edmonton could really use Matthew Tkachuk.

Drouin is a good player, just hasn't proven it yet lol.  Yak was taken first overall in 2012 and has done nothing at all really. 

Their value is probably similar meaning both are worth pretty much, well, who knows. Definitely not a 1st round pick. 

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Drouin is a good player, just hasn't proven it yet lol.  Yak was taken first overall in 2012 and has done nothing at all really. 

Their value is probably similar meaning both are worth pretty much, well, who knows. Definitely not a 1st round pick. 

Not entirely true.  His first season in the NHL was a lockout shortened season.  He had 17 goals and 14 assists in 48 games.

That is on pace for almost 30 goals.

He has really done nothing since then.  

I'd be shocked if a team gives up a lot in a trade for him with where his game is now, but there could be a steal there for a team willing to take a gamble.  Edmonton won't get fair value for a 1st overall pick.

At the same time, don't really want the Jets to take that gamble.

22 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Hindsight shows he never should have been drafted 1st overall.

That's not looking at the big picture. Galchenyuk was the other top forward and he hasn't done a whole lot either not to mention he was hurt so much he was never going to be the first overall pick. None of the other forwards have really distinguished themselves from that draft and the 2nd overall Ryan Murray has had his own issues and was not a sure fire guy to take at #1 either. Then you got a bunch of other D that have worked out but none of them were ever in consideration for first overall. Griffin Reinhart was highly touted but only as a defensive guy with limited offense and he still hasn't fully established himself in the NHL, Morgan Reilly was a guy who was also hurt too much leading into the draft to be taken first overall. Lindholm and Trouba have worked out nicely but neither of them were thought to be on that level, especially Trouba, he took a huge step his post draft year. He was even a bit of a reach where the Jets took him. 

It's a pretty shitty draft year all in all, forwards especially. Yakupovs problem is that he's an emotional player who really lacks hockey IQ. Now you can over come that with good coaching and we saw him as a rookie under Ralph Kreuger who was a very positive motivational coach that he led the Oilers in goals and was tied for the rookie lead in scoring, but then Eakins came in and really did break him. Schultz too. Just tore them down completely and left them lying in a ditch trying to recover and I am afraid that Yakupov at this point is simply afraid to play hockey the way he needs to because he's been jerked around so much. You put the kid in a stable situation and I think he's able to be saved and become a useful player, trouble is that things have become so toxic for him in Edmonton that he won't be saved there. 

I dunno why people think the Oilers can easily move Nugent-Hopkins either, have you not seen how much that team has struggled without him taking the difficult matchups? People always focus on his offense as a reason he's not living up to potential but the dude is a very good two way centre and without him taking the heavies it makes it really hard on Draisaitl and McDavid. You think it's coicidence that Draisaitls production fell off a cliff when RNH got hurt and suddenly he had to take the tougher matchups?

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

You just see his last name, that's pretty obvious. He's not his dad. 

I also see that he has 99 points in 51 games in the OHL this year, captained Team Bobby Orr at the top prospects and is ranked 4th overall in current scouting projections.  But yeah, the only way I'd be more excited about this kid is if his name was Matthew Hawerchuk or Matthew Selanne.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

44 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Only picture I have to look at is Yakupov and hindsight says he shouldn't have been drafted first no matter how big a rebuttal you write.

So is that an admission that you didn't even bother to read it? Yakupov was the consensus #1 pick. None was taking anyone other than him at number 1, what I wrote were the reasons why other players weren't in the conversation for #1 despite how hindsight has worked out. Bad draft year is bad. 

38 minutes ago, Brandon said:

It's amazing on how long those guys can continue to blame the guy despite the fact that it's obvious that Yak is a bust. 

would he be a bust if Eakins hadn't got his hands on him though? Before Eakins some people even talked like maybe he'd work out better than Hall or RNH. 

48 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I also see that he has 99 points in 51 games in the OHL this year, captained Team Bobby Orr at the top prospects and is ranked 4th overall in current scouting projections.  But yeah, the only way I'd be more excited about this kid is if his name was Matthew Hawerchuk or Matthew Selanne.

Yeah on a stacked London Knights team playing with Mitch Marner and many other high drafted NHL players. Context is important here. 

Tkachuk is a good player, I just think there are 5 6 7 guys in this draft who are better and actually make more sense to the Jets than yet another LW. 

Some places have 4 D men going in the top 10 and all are left handed shooters.

I'd take Chychrun, Sergachev or Bean before Tkachuk but that's me. We have enough prospects that we can afford to not take the best player available and take a position player. I'll say it again, if we draft lower than 3rd, I hope we take Chychrun.

I'll break it down

Jets pick first

Matthews

Jets pick 2nd or 3rd 

Laine/Dubois/Puljujarvi are the likely choices. 

Jets pick 4 5th or later

Sergachev,Chychrun,Juolevi, Nylander,Tkachuk,Keller <--- really it's wide open. 

I don't see Bean going top 10, I like him and would be fine with taking him if we picked like 15th or 16th but not in the top 10. 

I could see them going LHD if they pick 4th or later, I could also see them going BPA regardless of positional need cuz there is no guarantee that a guy like Chychrun for example turns out..

The one thing you can never have 2 many of tho are centers... Matthews, Dubois,Keller are 3 guys i wouldn't be surprised if the Jets took. Depending on where they pick of course. Dubois has #1 center potential, so does Keller, that plays a role here. 

Really like Keller, guy is gonna be a huge steal to whoever takes him. If the Jets aren't picking top 5, I'd definitely be more than fine with them taking Keller at hell i'd take him at 5th even, but 5th or later, I think Keller is the guy. He just screams the type of player the Jets want and target, high end hockey skill, smarts and just a hard worker with good character. 

Edited by Goalie

I think Keller is a valid option if we pick later as Chevy likes going off the board and scouts US players quite well.

From what I read, this would be my choices if I were drafting for the Jets...

Matthews

Laine

Puljujarvi

Chychrun

PLD

Sergachev

Bean

Nylander

Tkachuk

Juolevi

Keller

I don't think we will be drafting lower than this.

24 minutes ago, Ducky said:

You did read the work "hindsight" in my post right?

Why did he ruin Yak but not Hall for example?

Because Hall had been in the league for a couple years and had learned from a couple real coaches before Eakins showed up? You notice how the guys most affected by Eakns were Schultz and Yakupov who both only had the lock out season with Kreuger before Eakins came to town? Hell Eberle had his numbers crippled by Eakins too and immediately bounced back when he was fired, but I think with Schultz and Yakupov the damage was too much to their rookie brains. Even Nugent-Hopkins hasn't been the same offensive player since Eakins came to town that he was prior, though he did learn the defensive side of the game quite well, to the point where he cheats for D rather than O most of the time. 

It's hard to describe how bad the man was as a coach to people who don't follow the team closely. This is the guy who benched Yakupov after scoring a goal because he wanted him to end the game on a positive note.