Helle Sent Down

BomberBall

• 2 weeks later...

The roster opens up after the trade deadline (I think) so they can call up Helle and get Oki to back up Comrie on the farm. They might call up some other players too but that might not be until they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.....wouldn't look good.

http://video.jets.nhl.com/videocenter/

One of the better Q & As I've seen with Chevy.

Interesting statements by Chevy today. It gets really interesting after the 13 minute mark...Friesen starts it off around 11:30. I really like what he has to say about developing young players around the 14:30 mark. Also, not at all sorry about playing the youngsters this season.

Talks about the captaincy.

Talked a lot about finance too. Not worried of another team offer-sheeting a player (Trouba). Talks about RFAs.

I think we will see a minimum of 2 and maybe 3 more rookies next year. Connor should be a lock. Petan should have a really good shot. Morrissey should have a good shot. They'll probably season Comrie another year on the Moose but I think we have a potential allstar goaltending tandem in a couple years with those two goalies. Lemieux and Lipon will make them think long and hard where they should be playing.

I think we see Hellebuyck and Connor and one of Petan or Lemieux at least start with the team next season.

The door is open for Postma now; 20 games to show if he belongs.  I wouldn't mind seeing Morrissey get a game or two this year to see how close he is.

Lawless & Hustler were debating on H&L about giving Comrie a few games with the big club, too.

Although I haven't heard all of Chevy's comments - generally speaking, we value our youth greatly. Should be confirmation (did we need it?) that Trouba is in the long term plans. I like the non-apologetic response to starting with youth this year. Ask yourself is you want a perennial 6-10th in the conference type team or a team who can seriously compete for a Cup. If it's the 2nd option you prefer, then the only way forward is to score big with your picks and prospects. Scheifele, Trouba & Lowry have had mostly successful intro's to the NHL; time for the next wave of Helle, Morrissey, Connor & now Dano.

As much as it's disappointing to miss the playoffs; I'm very excited for the draft this year. We're picking early in round 1 and twice in the top 30 - and with our stockpile of picks and prospects, we could be a major player in the trademarket too. 

I wonder if it means no Hamonic.  If they value their youth so much is an indication of signing Trouba long term, it would be hard to fit Hamonic in. 

There was also some discussion about the Captaincy.  They said it will probably not be decided until next season, which I think makes sense.  And that they dont want to change Captains every couple of years so the choices will come down to guys that will be long term fixtures.  Ownership, management and players will have a say. 

So let's assume the obvious pick, Blake Wheeler.  But if they wanted to go with a longer-term guy...I suppose that only leaves Scheif and Trouba.  And I dont see that at this point.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I wonder if it means no Hamonic.  If they value their youth so much is an indication of signing Trouba long term, it would be hard to fit Hamonic in. 

There was also some discussion about the Captaincy.  They said it will probably not be decided until next season, which I think makes sense.  And that they dont want to change Captains every couple of years so the choices will come down to guys that will be long term fixtures.  Ownership, management and players will have a say. 

So let's assume the obvious pick, Blake Wheeler.  But if they wanted to go with a longer-term guy...I suppose that only leaves Scheif and Trouba.  And I dont see that at this point.

Buff will be here but i doubt he wants the C...

Hamonic is 26 this summer....not old.

Don't give Buff a letter........just don't. Wheeler's the Captain, and there's no question about it. Scheiff might get a letter next year, and maybe a guy like Myers, depending on his situation....or Little.  Wheeler, with Scheiff and Little....I could see that being your leadership core.