Game 52 : Mayday @ Avalanche

49 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Armia had a strong game. I suppose he is a rookie and what you want to see is games like tonight more often from him. When he's not on the 4th he contributed big time. He's a solid bottom 6 guy right now and has potential to be more. Typical late developing Finn.  

Late developing at 22 yrs...hmm that's a new one..

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

It's also reality. Teemu. Koivu. The list goes on and on. Finnish players take a while to adapt to the pro game. Olli Jokinen was another. 

Teemu was 22 yrs old when he scored 76 goals in his rookie season... wtf are you talking about

It was Teemu's choice not to be here earlier, he could have been. I agree though, a history of late developing players.

Armia was one of the best players on the ice, in my opinion, and should get more time at the higher level lines. Armia on the 4th is plain stupid.

I'd like to see Armia line up with Little and Perreault for 10 or so games.

Rumor has it that Peluso isn't needed anymore and will soon be traded with the heavyweight title being given to Ehlers last night...

I like watching those c$%^s&%&%rs from Denver lose but it'd be nice if the Jets lost a bunch and got a high draft pcik. No way in hell they make the post-season.

Edited by Ducky

Finnish players tend to come to the NHL late because of mandatory military service in Finland, not because Finnish genes have a propensity to develop their young males later.  That was also why Teemu was an older rookie.  

From 2012:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=44857

Its been a busy week for Sabres 2011 first round pick and future sniper Joel Armia.

On Monday, the Finn began his required military service at the Armed Forces Sports School in Lahti, Finland.

Late Friday new broke about the possibility of Armia being offered his entry level contract by the Buffalo Sabres.

Finnish website, www.satakunnankansa.fi, reports that Armia has until next Friday, June 15, to sign on the dotted line.

Before we jump to conclusions, it should be noted that Armia will have to honor his mandatory military commitment before he can play in Rochester or Buffalo. Might there be a way for his representatives to negotiate a shorter term stay in the military? Not sure. Armia has a year left on his present contract with his Assat club team.

For now, lets just say that Armia will become an option to the Sabres for the 2013-14 season.

2 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Did Teemu break his leg before he got here to?

I believe he played 2 more yeas in Finland after breaking his leg.

The NHL was also a much different landscape back then,  especially the development of European players.  Teams weren't as hands on with them after the draft as they are now.

A few tidbits from Wikipedia:

After graduating from junior hockey, Selänne joined Jokerit's senior team in the 1. Divisioona in 1988–89 and scored 69 points in 35 games. Jokerit moved up to the SM-liiga in 1989–90, and while Selänne missed the majority of the season due to a leg injury, he scored 12 points in 11 games played.[12] Playing a full season in 1990–91, Selänne scored 33 goals and 58 points in 42 games.[5] He was named the recipient of the Raimo Kilpiö trophy as the league's most gentlemanly player.[13] Selänne's best season in the SM-liiga came in 1991–92 when he recorded 62 points in 44 games.[14] With 39 goals, he won the Aarne Honkavaara trophy as top goal scorer.[15] He added 17 points in ten playoff games,[9] and scored the winning goal as Jokerit won the Kanada-malja as SM-liiga playoff champion.[16]

The Jets' organizational philosophy at the time was to allow their European draft picks to develop in their native countries, but by 1991, the franchise was working to bring him to Winnipeg.[17] As Selänne had not yet signed a contract when he chose to play in North America for the 1992–93 season, he was considered a restricted free agent.[18] The Calgary Flamessigned him to an offer sheet on a three-year contract worth $2.7 million, $1.5 million higher than what the Jets had been offering. Though concerned about paying such a high salary, Winnipeg exercised its right to match the offer.[17] Selänne made his NHL debut on October 6, 1992, and recorded two assists in a 4–1 Jets victory over the Detroit Red Wings. He scored his first career NHL goal two nights later against goaltender Jeff Hackett of the San Jose Sharks.[11]

It's obviously the proper ending for a game dominated by the Jets. They won all the little battles, face offs, hits and fights. Led by that Danish goon, the Jets threw fear into the hearts of the Avalanche. And yet again we see a glimpse of a team that could be a contender if they brought this kind of game every night. Alas...
Easy to watch..
Scheifele, Perreault, Stafford, Armia and Byfuglien.
Highlights:
Red-faced Patrick Roy arguing a completely unarguable position on goaltender interference. AND..
The absolute endearing, complete team acceptance and excitement by the Jets bench when Ehlers flew in and shocked the hockey world with that delightful encounter. 
Worth the price of admission right there.

From what I recall, Selanne took his time getting here and could have been here sooner. Also, how big a deal that 1.5m? signing bonus was at that time. The Hawks got an offer sheet signed a couple of years later by Tkachuk that the Jets matched, too.

I wish Buff would have got a hold of Landeslob and beat him down the big crier. Comeau too. The game on March 12 should be a gooder...

Bring on St. Louis and let's get a couple of losses going here.