Game 49 : Good Ole Jets @ Bad New Jets

IMO they are not adjusting to the injury situation. I cringed when I saw they recalled Cormier. Their window to act and make meaningful roster changes is all but closing up.

Penalties are a big issue for them as well. It's clear that they are defensively sound as last year. Which sucks because Hellebuyck has not been playing badly.

Byfuglien rarely shows up.

Seems some players are not adjusting to Maurice's style, the younger ones in particularly.

Having Lowry and Sheifele out is really hurting.

Too bad they got the late goal.......really dampens Helle's sv% (He gets a .941 instead of a .970) but the W is what's important. That line of Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler!!!!!!!! wow!!!!!!! Wheeler is tied for 5th in points and only Kane and Karlsson have more assists. Also, how much was Scheif missed when he was out?

Wasn't a poster on here suggesting this line months ago only to be told that Little and Wheeler shouldn't be split up? Ehlers looked like he had another gear tonight. He is finally playing with players that can keep up with his high speed game. He is also using these line mates smarter. Instead of gaining the blue line and carrying it behind the net and eventually being checked, he is finding the open man and passing it off. This is the best line of seen since the Jets came back.

If everyone is healthy after the ASG, what are the forward lines?

Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler

Ladd Little Armia

Perreault Lowry Staf

Burmi Copp Thorbs

I think Armia can handle the D game with Ladd and Little.

Why did Maurice pair up Buff-Chiarot and Trouba-Stuart again for awhile? Was he punishing Trouba? Poor Buff has to go to Nashville while everyone else has time for themselves like Jamaica etc...

Edited by Ducky

I think you are right that Maurice will swap those two but I wouldn't.

I'd like to see Copp and Armia try out for the PK. Armia is a tall guy and has that long reach with his stick.

You add a Morrissey on D and a Kyle Connor (I think he makes the Jets next year) and a Brendan Lemieux (ditto) and maybe Petan and you've got a great young team. The following year Comrie gets the call and maybe Kostalek does as well. The following year Roslovic and Harkins and maybe De Leo.....the future looks bright.

Was a great game to be at playing a team that was already on the all star break, Ehlers is really starting to figure out the game of course playing with Scheifele and Wheelers can't hurt, Helle played well by still lets the puck control him sometimes, Ladd invisible again tonight, and a final note we are still closer to being the worst team in the NHL than a playoff spot and that's sad because we have some real good pieces going forward just not this year.

8 hours ago, Ducky said:

Wheeler is tied for 5th in points

Wheeler's passing to set up shots was outstanding. There just isn't much room to get a pass through.... has to be pin point.

Interesting that the only pass that would have got through on the baseball swing goal, was the one he made, and Ehlers put it in.

very fun game to watch.

4 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Then we back to two line team.

That's what I thought. With

Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler I'd like to see them together for 6-8 games to see just how good they can be. 20 minutes a game.

Ladd Little Armia I think Armia is ready to handle the D and will complement his line mates. 17 minutes a game.

Perreault Lowry Staf   Maybe Lowry at LW and Perreault at center not sure but great 3rd line with size, skill and scoring ability, too. 13 minutes a game.

Burmi Copp Thorbs  This wold be the best 4th line we have iced in some time. This line should see 10 minutes a game.

I think Perreault-Lowry-Staf could be a very good 3rd line. 

Maybe they should play Lowry between Ladd and Little and play Armia at LW with Perreault and Staf?

That's a pretty good top 9 if Burmi plays 4th line with Copp and Thorbs.

Now, if we could only trade Stuart...

I dont mind Stu.  I'd prefer if there was more competition at his spot.  Its better that he's a bottom 2 guy rather then being penciled in automatically as a 3-4 D man.  I'd prefer a scenario where maybe he doesnt play every game but has some competition to rotate with.  Perhaps Morrissey will provide that next season, pretty different style though.