The glass is half empty, the glass is half full, the mid-season report card

Post your comments, ratings, reports, rants, etc about the first half of the season. My thoughts to follow. No hate me - these are just my opinion.

In a nutshell we are where we are due to

-Pav's injury

-penalties(and or penalty-killing)

-too many rookies

The Bad

GM  - Since the draft he re-signed Stafford, signed Matt Fraser and that's it. Possibly has done the least among all GM's. Not a single waiver wire pickup. I think he has been replaced by a clone. Letting UFA Frolik go for nothing hurt but maybe not as much as letting fireplug Stempniak leave.

Lowry - Biggest disappointment this year for me. Thought he would challenge for 2nd line role. Being sent to the minors has saved the season for him but i'm rating him for the first half.

Hutch - I told Hutch I'd put him in the Okay category if he could stop me from posting.

Ladd- Like Lowry he's improved his game a lot in just the last couple of weeks. There's no doubt in my mind he entered the season recovering from surgery. This is a tough one to call. Bad or Okay? I'm putting him in bad for now. Could easily see him rising to good by end of season. Should have signed that contract when he was injured.

Chairot - There are times you just want him to sit and there are times you want him sent to the minors for a stint like Lowry.

The Okay

Ehlers - Was expecting him to be our Johnny Denmark. Best I can say about Ehlers is that he might need time like Scheif to age. Scheif added weight to his body though.

Coach Maurice - Tough to rate coaches. I don't like Maurice pulling the goalie quickly and I don't like em pulling the goalie when we're down 2 goals. Wish he'd leave the first 2 lines alone.

Byfuglien - By his own words is having an 'okay' season. Not bad, not good. 7 year/8 million a year good though? Where art thou Angry Buff?

Stuart - Started season like old Stu hitting everything but he's slacked off a bit lately. Teacher's pet.

Trouba - Was playing worse then last year which was worse then the year before. Has picked up game lately. Was almost traded for Hamonic...in my mind.

Pavelec - Been such a long time I almost forgot how he played. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Hellebuyck - Here comes the hate. I know he's our Connor McJesus but i see a goalie who is slow to respond to where the puck is. Clearly will be the most controversial placement in my list.

The Good

Burmistrov - Not does score much but very good with the hands. Should be on 4th line though but 3rd line being what is. I'm one of the few who like his play.

Little - Does what he does, does it well with not much spotlight.

Scheif - Come a long way baby.

Stafford - Like Little, Ladd, Perreault he's a streak scorer. Gets some easy/weird goals though.

Thorburn - Having better season then last year. Actually been in some fights. Like Burmi should be on 4th line but...well...3rd line.

Myers - See Little but with spotlight. Needs some Hulk emotions to go with the size.

The Great

Perreault - Yet to get into the goal scoring streak he got into last year but one of the few Jets who completes his hits and he's undersized!

Wheeler - The best player + microphone drop.

Enstrom - My most hated dman is among the best the Jets have. Comeback of the year.

Not Rated

Armia, Copp, Peluso, Pardy, Postma. Just nothing there to review. Pardy, Postma especially. Why are they here when the Moose are 50 feet away?

The Now

This team was bad for the longest time but have picked things up lately still not playing as good as last year.

The Future

9 of the next 10 are at home including a much needed all-star break. The season may not end after 82 games. It may end after 51.

WTF?

Going into season I thought we would have 6 players scoring 20 or more goals. Still could do that and yet we could miss the playoffs.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Close enough to a playoff spot to cause smart men to make stupid decisions and handcuff the team going forward.

Those of us that pegged this season as a "one step back" year were correct.  Hindsight being what it is, the Jets gambled on youth and lost, didnt addreess depth or goaltending issues.

If this was the team we got from Atlanta, I'd be very happy for the future.  Making the right decisions with our UFA's and getting us a good first round pick would also make me happy.

Hovering around a playoff spot with the lowest payroll in the league and one of the youngest team's is cause for optimism. Bringing Helle up and his play to date has been the biggest bright spot. He's playing up to his hype and having a legit #1 goalie is huge.

Our defensive play and lack of discipline have been the biggest disappointments.

What we do with Buff & Ladd are obviously the biggest questions going forward.

I cant really outwardly condone "tanking" but the Jets' just scream out as a team ripe for the tank.  ie. Trade away Ladd & Buff for picks and prospects, dress rookies and youngsters, get a high weighted lottery pick etc (and/or some picks in the trade that can be combined to move up in the draft).  And come out flying next season.

IMO, we are not that far off from the point total that this particular squad should be at. When you go with youth, as the Jets have, you have to expect some low points, but I don't believe that's where they failed. I agree with sweep, that a lack of disciplined play has cost us dearly, especially with the passive penalty killing we use. And the defensive play has to get better in our own zone. The responsibilities are getting messed up. But those are fixable. 

The young players are looking better and the trend for an upward surge is there for the future. The Jets have to make their decision on Ladd and Byfuglien, and transfer those stale assets into future value. Work the best deal, but get it done.

I'd agree with a semi tank, however, i think they would need to deal ladd and buff (think they will if they aren't signed by closer to the trade deadline regardless of where they are in the standings). I think they would also need some injuries, Little,Wheeler,Scheif and Helle i think. Helle is so good that he himself will keep the Jets somewhat respectable. 

I do think they will trade Ladd or and Buff, (the more i think about it, the more I think both are dealt) regardless of where they are in the standings if they aren't signed because you just can't risk losing them for nothing in the off-season. Chipman has already said they can't lose them for nothing so tells me they are either signed or traded regardless. \

I think 91 let's say 92 points might get you a playoff spot (wildcard). Jets have 41 after 41 games. They would need to win 25 or 26 of their remaining 41 games to get to 91 92 points. I don't think they can do that. 

This teams much like the bombers have yet to show that they can win back to back games this year, they need to go on a huge streak and i just don't see it happening at all. Something is wrong in the locker room and i don't think it's this "youth movement" which basically only involves ehlers, copp and armia now. 3 guys dragging them down that much? I don't think so. I don't consider Burmi to be part of this because he's not a rookie. 

Edited by Goalie

Yup. They would need to go on quite the run to reach that 91 92 point total... And that's just a rough guess as to what I think it might take to make it. It could be more and I don't think it will be less. I think they miss the playoffs by a significant amount. 

With that being said, I think they finish with more points than probably 1 maybe 2 of the pacific teams who do make the playoffs. Yup. 

St Louis, Dallas,Chicago,Minny,Nashville all are in right now.

La, Arizona and Vancouver right now from the Pacific are in right now.

Jets have 41 points. So does Vancouver. 

Edited by Goalie

There is no crossover... top 3 teams from each division make it..

Then 2 wild card teams...

Dallas,Chicago and St Louis are 1 2 3 in Central

La,Arizona and Vancouver are 1 2  3 in Pacific

Minny has wildcard spot 1, Nashville has wildcard spot 2 (Minny has 50 points, 1 game in hand on the Jets, Nashville has 45 (1 game in hand on the Jets)

Those are your 8 teams if the playoffs started tomorrow. 

I guess you can look at it this way...

Jets have played 41 games and have 41 points..

They are 21st overall in the league right now... However... Calgary is 1 point behind them with 1 game in hand Anaheim and Toronto are 2 points behind them with 2 games in hand.... Carolina has 39 points after 41 games... San Jose has played 38 games and have 38 points, 3 points behind the Jets with 3 games in hand..Oilers have 37 points in 41 games (no McDavid yet)

Sabres and Jackets seem to be lost causes, Not sure Jets can catch those 2 bottom feeders but the rest... they are all with in striking distance... 

Jets have 41 points, ranked 21st but... after some teams behind them in the standings actually get to 41 games, Jets could easily be ranked 27th overall in the league.. well, 26th i guess since Oilers Sabres and Jackets all have a few less points with basically the same games played (Only Buffalo has played less games and it's only 1 less game) 

Lol. Jets are basically 4 points away from being bottom 3, however they are also 4 points away from being tied with Nashville for a wildcard spot. 

Nashville just got better by trading for RYJO... they absolutely dominated us and are so much better than we are. Helle can't stand on his head every game. Plus Nashville also has a game in hand. We aren't making it. It's not gonna happen. Ladd and Buff will both be dealt. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

There is no crossover... top 3 teams from each division make it..

Then 2 wild card teams...

Dallas,Chicago and St Louis are 1 2 3 in Central

La,Arizona and Vancouver are 1 2  3 in Pacific

Minny has wildcard spot 1, Nashville has wildcard spot 2 (Minny has 50 points, 1 game in hand on the Jets, Nashville has 45 (1 game in hand on the Jets)

Those are your 8 teams if the playoffs started tomorrow. 

I guess you can look at it this way...

Jets have played 41 games and have 41 points..

They are 21st overall in the league right now... However... Calgary is 1 point behind them with 1 game in hand Anaheim and Toronto are 2 points behind them with 2 games in hand.... Carolina has 39 points after 41 games... San Jose has played 38 games and have 38 points, 3 points behind the Jets with 3 games in hand..Oilers have 37 points in 41 games (no McDavid yet)

Sabres and Jackets seem to be lost causes, Not sure Jets can catch those 2 bottom feeders but the rest... they are all with in striking distance... 

Jets have 41 points, ranked 21st but... after some teams behind them in the standings actually get to 41 games, Jets could easily be ranked 27th overall in the league.. well, 26th i guess since Oilers Sabres and Jackets all have a few less points with basically the same games played (Only Buffalo has played less games and it's only 1 less game) 

Lol. Jets are basically 4 points away from being bottom 3, however they are also 4 points away from being tied with Nashville for a wildcard spot. 

I agree with a whole lot of this...Jets aren't going to make the playoffs, especially with their schedule.

I do think the Ducks make the playoffs in their division though.

Here is my half season report card on the Jets. If a 4th liner plays better than expected, he might get a better grade than a 1st liner not doing as well as expected but may be still being better than the 4th liner.

Chevy        C

Gets marks for not making any rash decisions while the Jets aren’t doing well and for stocking the cupboard with great picks at the draft. Loses marks for letting the Buff/Ladd situation drag past Christmas and not doing anything about the LHD depth.

Maurice     C

Started Petan when he should have been sent down. Not very good special teams. Playing Stu/Peluso too much. Marks for switching around lines looking for good combos and for not letting the team get down and to continue trying to play the right way.

Forwards

Ladd          C-

Very inconsistent play at the beginning of the season. Starting to play better in the last 7-8 games has saved him from a D grade. The nastiness in his game is starating to co me out again.

Little          B

Has played fairly consistent and probably through some injuries. Second leading scorer that kills penalties and plays the PP.

Wheeler      A+

Has played well all season and is in the top 10 in scoring in the league and is a team leader for the Jets. He also kills penalties and plays the PP. Best player on the team all year.

Perreault     B

Started slowly and that cost him a B+ grade. Excellent on the PP and on pace for a 53 point season. Gives it his all every shift same as Wheeler. Finishes checks and is good with the puck. If Myers played with his moxie, he'd be a Norris contender.

Scheif         B

Scheif went MIA for a sting earlier or I would have gave him a B+ or an A. Developing very nicely and is on pace for 47 points. Probably be the captain of the team one day.

Ehlers         C

Started nicely but has slowed considerably. The fast start saved him from a D grade. Needs to be better in his own end without the puck and has to put some points on the board and become more consistent offensively.

Staf            B +         

One of the most consistent Jets. Plays PP, PK, does everything that is asked of him and scores big goals.

Lowry        D 

A horrible start to the season saw him shipped to the Moose until Scheif was hurt. Playing better since the recall.

Burmi         C+

His game has come around nicely in the last 10 games and especially on the line with Lowry and Ladd. Good defensively. Needs to shoot more.

Thorbs        B-

Another player that does everything that is asked of him.

Copp          B-

Copp hasn’t looked out of place and is very good defensively. He is having a very steady year.

Armia         C+

Not many games but certainly hasn’t looked out of place. Good positioning in the D zone, he has soft hands and is a good passer.

Peluso        C

Peluso played well when he was called on.

Petan          C-

Nic was a bit of a disappointment and was sent down to continue his development and is doing well on the Moose.

Halischuk   B-

Again, not many games but played the PK and brought a lot of energy to the 4th line.

Defencemen

Buff           B

Has been the best D man this year. He hasn’t taken too many games off and a LOT of the Jets’ Offense starts with him. Better defensively than most people give him credit for and breaks up a lot of p lays because he has such great anticipation and sees plays developing.

Trouba        C-

His playing the last 10-12 games has brought him up from a D grade. Started badly  and was downright horrible some games earlier this season.

Myers          C+

He has played well after an early start but takes off a bit too much still and gets caught up ice too often. His hockey IQ doesn’t match his skill. Has played well on the PP as of late.

Enstrom       B-

Toby has been our best defensive defenseman this year. Great first passes out of the D zone. Too small to win many battles against the boards brings his grade down fro m a B+.

Chiarot        D

Has played well below expectations and was sat for a spell in November. Inconsistent play this year.

Stuart          D-

A train wreck and a defenseman that makes poor decisions with the puck. The worst grade possible.  

Pardy          C-

He got in for a few games but didn’t leave a great impression. Slow skater.

Postma        C-

Not many games at all but not the best defense-oriented defenseman on the team.

Goalies

Hutch          D

Started well but hasn’t won a game he has started since the end of October. Nuff said.

Helle           A-

I really wanted to give him an A but getting pulled after a poor showing the other week brings it down….if he had more games under his belt, it might not have. It’s still very early in his career but he looks to be the future goaltender for the Jets for years to come.

Pavs            C-

Didn’t play well or consistent before getting hurt and needs to play better when he returns as either he or Hutch will be moved….farm or trade.

Average team mark is a low C.

Average management mark is a C.

Did I forget anyone?

no two people will agree on all but this is my opinion and 3/4 of the way through the season there would be some big changes probably. Trouba, Lowry, and Ladd have all started playing better in the last so many games for example.

Edited by Ducky

Report Card Style? K.

Goalies 

Pav is a D + he is what he always has been. A below average starting goalie 

Hutch is a D. He had a chance to take the number 1 job and run with it and failed 

Helle gets an A +. He is the only reason we have as many wins as we do. 

D men 

Buff gets a B. He's been ok but he should always be an A but isn't. Inconsistent 

Myers gets a B. Putting up nice numbers and is starting to use his reach more. 

Trouba gets a B also. He was anchored with Stu for most the season. He's played much better with more minutes.

Enstrom gers a C. He's just average in my opinion. Has lost a step and has been taking more penalties 

Stu. C -. He is what he is.

Chiarot. D. expected more. 

Forwards 

Little gets a B. Looks lost without Ladd tho. 

Scheif. B +. Has exceeded my expectations and has become a very good 2 way center 

Lowry gets a C. Looked awful to start but is much better after being called back 

Copp gets a B. Yup. He's a 4th line center who is stong defensively and in the face off dept. He is doing his job.

Wheeler gets an A +. What needs to be said really. He's our best player.

Ehlers gets a B. He's a 19 yr old rookie who looks great when paired with other skilled players. Playing him with Burmi and thorburn really was bad for him. 

Burmi gets a D. Expected more. 

Thorburn is a C. He is what he is. Good 4th line guy. 

Ladd. D almost F. For a guy in a contract year he is playing awful 

Perreault. B +. Assist Machine. 

Stafford. B. Putting up nice numbers but struggles in his own zone. 

The rest aren't graded because they haven't played enough yet. 

I guess maybe people are used to pav flopping around like a fish on the ice trying to make saves. Helle is very good. He's our future and present. Ppl who know more than all of us say he's going to be an elite goalie for a long time. He's boring. Doesn't flop around .. isn't out of position like pav and Hutch for that matter.  He's the only reason we aren't dead last in the league. His 5 on 5 save percentage is a remarkable 957. That's unheard of. He's a stud and the best goalie the winnipeg Jets have ever had. He's slow to react? He's outstanding with a gaa under 2 and a crazy save percentage. The guy has given up 2 or less goals in like 10 games. 

Edited by Goalie

9 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I guess maybe people are used to pav flopping around like a fish on the ice trying to make saves. Helle is very good. He's our future and present. Ppl who know more than all of us say he's going to be an elite goalie for a long time. He's boring. Doesn't flop around .. isn't out of position like pav and Hutch for that matter.  He's the only reason we aren't dead last in the league. His 5 on 5 save percentage is a remarkable 957. That's unheard of. He's a stud and the best goalie the winnipeg Jets have ever had. He's slow to react? He's outstanding with a gaa under 2 and a crazy save percentage. The guy has given up 2 or less goals in like 10 games. 

A little bit early in his career to be saying that in my opinion.....Hutch had a better start if you compare there first games. I think he is a keeper and will be a really good goalie in the league for years but he has played 14 NHL games.

26 minutes ago, Ducky said:

A little bit early in his career to be saying that in my opinion.....Hutch had a better start if you compare there first games. I think he is a keeper and will be a really good goalie in the league for years but he has played 14 NHL games.

The difference is that Hutch played like a crazy person (fast movement and very reactionary, tough to be consistent with that style) and had already had a rough ride to get where he was with the Jets.  Hellebuyck has been incredible at every level he has played at, he's remarkably sound positionally, and doesn't show the signs of someone who is just on a hot streak.  I'd bet the farm on Helle being "the guy" for the long term.  And my farm is ******* beautiful.

As for the rest of the team, my concern before the season was our depth and it still is my main concern.  This team has been extremely healthy all year, not losing any skaters to long term injuries.  Take a guy like Little, Wheeler, or Scheifele out for the long term and I'm scared to see what would happen.   Or any top 4 defenceman for that matter.  Chiarot was okay with big Buff last year but I'd rather not test that again...

I remember Hutch was on fire this time last year, and he had that big 4-0 shut-out against Columbus right before the All-Star break that had everyone thinking he was the next one.  He has been on the down-slope ever since that game.  For some reason this year he's having a hard time stopping beach balls.  I don't get it.  I just hope Helle doesn't fall into that same post All-Star break sink-hole.  I'd like to see two solid goaltenders for once, get back to "Pokey and the Bandit" type days. :)

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

The difference is that Hutch played like a crazy person (fast movement and very reactionary, tough to be consistent with that style) and had already had a rough ride to get where he was with the Jets.  Hellebuyck has been incredible at every level he has played at, he's remarkably sound positionally, and doesn't show the signs of someone who is just on a hot streak.  I'd bet the farm on Helle being "the guy" for the long term.  And my farm is ******* beautiful.

Well said. Hutch flopped around like Pav. Not sustainable. Helle is a boring Positionally strong goalie. He won't have to make the amazing save cuz he will be there to stop it. He don't flop around like hutch or Pav 

Edited by Goalie