Star Wars: Spoiler Thread Discussion

Logan007

while thats the safe bet (Rey being Lukes) it just seems too easy. I think one of the biggest moments in Star Wars (argument could be made for cinema altogether) was that bombshell, Luke I am your father.  If you watch a new hope again with an honest view regardless of knowing where its going,  they really did nothing to lead down that road.  While people were already fans of ANH, I think minds were blown in 1980 to a whole nother level and can probably be given a good amount of credit why star wars is what it is even nearly 40 years since it's introduction

17 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Isn't that exCtly what I said? Lol I agree!

LOL, there were too many posts, I never read it all.  I read the first couple of lines which kind of went in line with what I was thinking and then got distracted with the bozo's talking about incest.  :P

But yes, either way, we agree.

5 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

while thats the safe bet (Rey being Lukes) it just seems too easy. I think one of the biggest moments in Star Wars (argument could be made for cinema altogether) was that bombshell, Luke I am your father.  If you watch a new hope again with an honest view regardless of knowing where its going,  they really did nothing to lead down that road.  While people were already fans of ANH, I think minds were blown in 1980 to a whole nother level and can probably be given a good amount of credit why star wars is what it is even nearly 40 years since it's introduction

You know, I know I've read that many times about no one knowing except Lucas and a couple of others.  But when I watch A New Hope, Alec Guiness makes some odd facial expression when describing Anakin to Luke.  Almost like he's not saying something.  Whether Lucas told him to do that or not I don't know, but it fits in with him being his dad.

Even if they do go with the obvious, I'm sure there will still be surprises in this next one.  If she is his daughter, they'll probably make an off hand remark to each other rather then go down the "I am your father" route.  Like after a training bout, Rey turns to Luke and says "Father, tell me more about the old Jedi".  Who knows.

Damn...is December 2017 hear yet?

On 1/25/2016 at 2:57 PM, Logan007 said:

You know, I know I've read that many times about no one knowing except Lucas and a couple of others.  But when I watch A New Hope, Alec Guiness makes some odd facial expression when describing Anakin to Luke.  Almost like he's not saying something.  Whether Lucas told him to do that or not I don't know, but it fits in with him being his dad.

Even if they do go with the obvious, I'm sure there will still be surprises in this next one.  If she is his daughter, they'll probably make an off hand remark to each other rather then go down the "I am your father" route.  Like after a training bout, Rey turns to Luke and says "Father, tell me more about the old Jedi".  Who knows.

Damn...is December 2017 hear yet?

I believe the original plan had been the reveal in Empire was Vader saying the truth was Obi Wan had killed Luke's father.  The words the Vader acted actually said was that "Obi Wan never told you the truth.  He killed your father" and Luke's pained "nooooo" is reacting to that "on set" but ofcourse Lucas had told him they were going to dub over Prowse's lines with the "I am your father" line and thats what Hamil was responding to.

Apparently during the premier, the rest of the cast learned of the twist by watching it and Harrison Ford turned to Hamil and said "I cant believe you didnt tell me that". 

So when Obi Wan sort of gives an odd look when talking of Luke's father in ANH, its because he thinks he's lying about Vader killing Anakin, which he is ofcourse, just not in the way Alec thought.

It shows how much Lucas was altering the story as he went.  In Empire, he knew he was going to make vader Luke's father, but didnt know Liea would be his sister, hence the scene where she kisses Luke.  The original plan had been Return of the Jedi would feature Luke's sister, but it wouldnt be Leia.  Im not sure the revelation of Luke and Leia being twins would fly with today's audience but because its canon now, I sort of laugh at people who are critical of the coincidences and whatnot in TFA. Thats part of the mythos of Star Wars...

In a way, its something JJ added to Star Trek too, the idea of destiny pulling Kirk et al towards their rightful futures/histories.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, sweep the leg said:

Just watched the movie this weekend. Maybe it's already been said,  as I'm not interested in reading the entire thread, but to me this was basically an updated version of A New Hope. Almost all the same things happened.

It's gets a big "meh" from me.

It has been said.  But I dont see it.  It has echos of the original trilogy (not just ANH) but thats the point of Star Wars.  I loved it.  And im pretty critical when it comes to films. 

• 1 month later...

Finally saw it.

On 2015-12-17 at 5:45 PM, bb.king said:

All in all, I completely agree with your holy **** assessment! I'm already looking forward to the next one. Only three more years, if they do it the same as the others.

Timeline is 15,17,19.

On 2015-12-18 at 8:46 PM, johnzo said:

I really liked the film. My only disappointment: yet another superweapon.

Yeah, this film has a lot of similarities to the ANH. Empire gonna need new weapon which the they'll blow up in EP 9.

On 2016-01-03 at 5:28 PM, Guest said:

Saw "The Force Awakens" on the 27th. It was pretty good overall I suppose, nothing great, but nowhere near as bad as the last trilogy. Didn't care for Finn, he got annoying early and predictable. The whole time watching the film, I thought I was watching a reimaging of A New Hope, there was even a trench at the end lol.

As for Rey, I think it's pretty clear as to whom she's related to.................... there's only two choices. IMO there were 5 very strong hints that she's Luke's daughter, although the whole Rey/Ren thing (yes I am aware than Kylo Ren's real name is Ben) and the way Han looked at her at times, made me question my original thoughts. If Rey does end up being Luke's daughter, I have a theory as to who Rey's mother would be. She's a pretty visible character in the film.

Interesting theory but Capt Phasma just seems like a weak character. Okay gun to my head i'll do what ever u want.

The stormtroopers were pretty funny in this movie. Oh lookie Kylo is pissed off lets just slowly walk away. LOL.

On 2016-01-21 at 9:52 PM, Taynted_Fayth said:

there s a few holes in this theory, but an interesting different perspective all the same

http://9gag.com/gag/adj7b1d?ref=fb.s.mw

Resurrection time? It's in the some of the games I think. Seems weak story idea though.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/04/15/obi-wan-kenobi-wasnt-going-to-die-a-new-hope/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

apparently Old ben wasnt supposed to die/join the force originally, I'm glad they changed it the way they did, but i wonder how different the story would have been without key jedi joining the force like Obi wan and Yoda in empire and return of the jedi.  I'd imagine they had some part in helping luke train younglings between return of the jedi and the force awakens. 

wonder of ep 8 and 9 will show the rise and turn of Kylo ren in a rewind, especially since i hear episode 8 was supposed to be more focused on Kylo, or do we get a rogue two somewhere down the line to fill in the blanks

It sounds like Rogue One ends right as A New Hope begins so I dont imagine a sequel is in order unless it runs parallel to the events depicted in the original Trilogy.

But they are planning a Kenobi film that takes place between Revenge and A New Hope.

And by the time Episode 9 is out, they could also fill in the blanks between Return and TFA, though it would be difficult to depict characters such as Luke, Leia etc  Recasting them for use as teens is one thing but recasting them because they need to look 30-40 would be tougher.

I had heard a rumor that Leia might appear in Rogue One also, a recast ofcourse.  But they'd have to find someone that looks almost identical to Carrie at that age if the film is supposed to be immediately prior to A New Hope.  Then again, they DID cast Mon Mothma look alike very well.

There is a lot of whining online about Disney's two Star Wars films featuring female leads...

I read someone's comment before about Obi Wan, mentioning how he had anakins lightsaber for so long then handed it to Luke, just like Rey hands it to luke, and Obi wan was all about hiding children with the force at the time the empire was hitting stride and the jedi was all but extinct. Hopefully Rogue one sheds some light on this, because rey would have likely been a new born roughly around a new hope/empire strikes back, maybe when Obi wan even gave up his name and went with Old Ben Kenobi, he also dropped his jedi teachings and hooked up with someone random on tattooine

it would also account for her british accent and by JJ abrams saying it was someone not seen in TFA, Obi Wans my new pick

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

2 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I read someone's comment before about Obi Wan, mentioning how he had anakins lightsaber for so long then handed it to Luke, just like Rey hands it to luke, and Obi wan was all about hiding children with the force at the time the empire was hitting stride and the jedi was all but extinct. Hopefully Rogue one sheds some light on this, because rey would have likely been a new born roughly around a new hope/empire strikes back, maybe when Obi wan even gave up his name and went with Old Ben Kenobi, he also dropped his jedi teachings and hooked up with someone random on tattooine

it would also account for her british accent and by JJ abrams saying it was someone not seen in TFA, Obi Wans my new pick

The math doesn't work for Obi Wan.  He died in A New Hope.  The Force Awakens is around 30 years after A New Hope.  Rey was 20 years old in The Force Awakens.

Keep in mind, JJ Abrams has a long history of deceiving his fans. He said it that way to throw off the fans.

12 minutes ago, Dascow said:

The math doesn't work for Obi Wan.  He died in A New Hope.  The Force Awakens is around 30 years after A New Hope.  Rey was 20 years old in The Force Awakens.

Keep in mind, JJ Abrams has a long history of deceiving his fans. He said it that way to throw off the fans.

yeah its a bit of a stretch, however time doesnt seem to apply sometimes in star wars, Padme defies time with regards to anakin's aging to her own.  but I do believe Kylo ren and Rey are related, so even tho Obi wan regarded anakin as his brother,  they werent really related. again I hope rogue one lets on a little bit to set up episode 8.

just throwing out another long shot,  after Vader thinks his kid (not kids) died with padme, even as a mostly robot has some of his remianing human genes cloned on Kamino, and like boba fett, is an un altered version that grows slower/normal then the clone troops. If she was made from Anakin it could also explain the light saber calling to her too.  Luke never had some crazy visions as soon as he touched it,  because he was only half anakin dna

Some of Rey's powers are related to Anakin.  He had visions of the future.  I guess Luke did to, when he was with Yoda but only when he really concentrated.  It didn't come naturally to him.  

Im not sure how much Rogue One will relate to the saga.  Probably not at all but I would bet in some way it does.  

One theory is 

Spoiler

The female lead in Rogue One is the daughter of the Death Star designer.  Ive heard this one a few times, that the designer regrets it and slips the plans to his daughter.  And she goes on to be Luke Wife/Rey's mother.  If true, it means the Skywalker family lead to every major event in the Star Wars universe both good and bad.  Ended the blockade, helped win the clone wars, defeated Darth Tyrannous, fell to the dark side, wiped out the Jedi, designed the death star, gave plans to the rebels, destroyed the death star etc etc.