Star Wars: Spoiler Thread Discussion

Logan007

Kylo Ren is like any number of Heisman winning QBs.  He looks great in practice, when he's interrogating helpless captives or cutting down old men. But when he faces pro-level talent, he folds up, and he clearly can't play through pain. Supreme Leader even says that Ren needs a little coaching up at one point.

And yeah, I agree with TUP: Poe is a little too eager to talk about the Skywalker map mission.  I just took that as "the movie's moving pretty fast, let's repeat our premise two or three extra times to make sure that everyone's still with us."

If I remade the prequels, they'd be like a buddy cop movie gone horribly wrong. Imagine Lethal Weapon, but at the end, Murtaugh shoots Riggs.

I'd also make Count Dooku more sympathetic, let him see the future that the Jedi are blind to, and make him desperate to break up the Republic before it goes fascist.  And Grievous would be a abolitionist fighting for full droid citizenship.

As a non nerd and casual Star Wars fan I thought the movie was really really good.

The girl Rey is definitely Hans and Leias daughter. She was finishing his sentences and is sitting right at home in the falcon.

Also Luke was busy training Jedi and has been a hermit..where did he find time to sleep with anyone. Also I thought Jedis were to avoid having families and falling in love as it may cause issues with staying focus on the light side.

They are clearly setting it up for a bro vs sis showdown.

The black dude Fin , I'm guessing also has the force... Kylo sensed him at the beginning and his ability to immediately shoot tie fighters made it seem to me that the force took over him. 

I loved the humour and the lack of racist stereotypes and unnecessary kiddish side characters.

The action was great, the pacing and story all were clear and the movie went by so fast for me it was very enjoyable and I'd say 2nd best after Empire Strikes Back. 

I also appreciated the usage of real physical locations and the return of porkins!

My only gripes would be her ability to mind control so fast and the lack of new planets/villages and no real new unique machinery.  

I think if she was Han and Leia's child, they would have mentioned something to her like "Hey, by the way, this is your mom and I'm your dad, we hid you away on Jakku because your brother was a monster and we didn't want him to turn you to the dark side".

4 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

I think if she was Han and Leia's child, they would have mentioned something to her like "Hey, by the way, this is your mom and I'm your dad, we hid you away on Jakku because your brother was a monster and we didn't want him to turn you to the dark side".

Does Leia or Han even know that she used or unlocked the force? I thought only Fin saw her using it.

I assumed they didn't want her to know to prevent her from wanting to use and possibly turning after learning about her powers.

Also on the poster both her and Kylo are in the same pose one behind the other..makes them seem like the same.

Unlocking the force or not, if that was Leia's kid, she would have said something when she met her.  It's not like Leia to keep her mouth shut.

I think the poster was just to the the mirroring between the light side and the dark side.

In any case, none of us will really know for another year and a half.  If they even answer that question in the next movie.

The issue of why no one would say anything to her, I think there is an implication she was talked about but we werent shown it.  Everytime she came up, the scene cut away.  Han and Leia, Han and Maz etc.  Han also didnt seem overly concerned when he saw Kylo carrying her away.  Is it because he knew he wouldnt hurt her?

When Han asks her her name and she says "Rey" he repeats it sort of in a "oh really, okay, sure" sort of way and immediately wants her to come work with him...away from the fight.  When Leia and her share a scene, its after Han is killed.  They embrace.  Perhaps they then chatted for hours...we didnt see it. 

Leia was searching for Luke desperately.  But she sends Rey.  And essentially alone.  That's a big trust for a stranger.  Which is why I think she's not. 

Will be fun to find out though.

I dont think Finn will be Force sensitive.  There were rumors he was Lando's kid which seems a bit much...like of the three black characters in 6 films, two are related?  He was set up as the red herring in all the promotional material.  Shown using the saber etc as if he was the new "Luke", but it was Rey.  She was the one who the Force awakened in. 

I think the long pause between Kylo and Finn was just that Kylo sensed the internal struggle inside Finn.  And either because he didnt care about a lowly stormtrooper or because he understood that struggle, he let it go.  But in a practical sense, that scene was designed to show us why Kylo would know Finn was the one who helped Poe escape.

Regarding Dooku - he was a very interesting character that Lucas shafted as he was prone to do in the originals.  The only other Force user besides Palpatine who could use Force lightening...so presumably an extremely powerful Jedi/Sith.  Its one thing that he left the Jedi order...but I didnt get a good sense of why he'd become a Sith.  If they had shown he left because he had loved ones and it was against the rules...and then that ultimately is why he became a Sith to increase his power to protect them, it would have meant a lot more to the plot, made him more interesting and vindicated Yoda's position on relationships.

Im curious to see if that theme of love leads to fear etc comes up.  Kylo was not someone in love who was driven insane as many of us have experienced...but surrounded by love and support which he in turn seemingly rejected.  Hopefully we'll see how that happened and how he came to know and be obsessed with Darth Vader.  I still think Snoke manipulated visions of Anakin appearing to Kylo so you might say he had Luke on one shoulder showing him the light and Anakin on the other showing him the dark.

More records falling 

sun

LOS ANGELES - "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" has stayed spectacular, dominating U.S. moviegoing on Christmas Eve with $27.1 million at 4,134 locations on its seventh day of release.

The space saga racked up US$391.1 million in its first week -- obliterating the record of $296.2 million set in June by the first week of "Jurassic World."

"The Force Awakens" is already the 22nd highest domestic grosser of all time. Its Christmas Eve grosses pushed it past the notable hits "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2" ($381 million), "Finding Nemo" ($380.8 million) and "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" ($380.3 million).

Internationally, the seventh Star Wars has hit $422.4 million, bringing its global box office receipts to $813.5 million. The pic should surpass the $1 billion worldwide mark by the end of the Christmas weekend, setting yet another record as the fastest to hit the 10-figure milestone.

George is going a bit nutty in his old age

LOS ANGELES -- George Lucas has apologized for criticizing Disney's handling of "Star Wars" and saying he had sold his characters to "white slavers" in a recent interview with Charlie Rose.

In a statement issued Thursday, Lucas says he misspoke and used a "very inappropriate analogy." It was not clear what the "Star Wars" creator meant by the "white slavers" comment, and Rose did not ask a follow-up question on his PBS show that aired Dec. 24. The charged words nonetheless sparked ire when the interview was posted online Wednesday.

"I rarely go out with statements to clarify my feelings but I feel it is important to make it clear that I am thrilled that Disney has the franchise and is moving it in such exciting directions," said Lucas in his statement.

3 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

A big and telling scene to me, is when Rey, Chewie and Finn come back, Leia walks right past Chewie and hugs Ray when shes sad about Hans death.

Why would she hug the girl she just met over Han's best friend? 

Maybe because Rey is someone important and we weren't uet privy to a scene explaining it to us. 

Somelne should remind Lucas how dreadful the prequels were.  It's one thing to have second thoughts when you see your ex gf with a new guy but he looks like a chump when he's critical of the new film. 

Did we discuss the bit of dialogue that is present in the book but not the movie?  Apparently when Rey force pulls the saber, Kylo turns to her and says "it is you!".  So he knows who she is.  Also, it would be pretty lame if she ends up being a no one.  Someone with great force powers just being some random person born from 2 random people?  That doesn't make sense.  The Skywalker lineage is known for their strong abilities with the force due to Anakin being born of the force from Plagueis's meddling.

The other thing I noticed on my third viewing.  How does she know how to speak not only droid, but Wookiee as well?  Droid I could understand she learned from Jakku, but how many Wookiee's did you see walking around?  And Finn made a very obvious point of pointing that out "YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT IT SAID?!?!?"  Someone taught her how to speak Wookiee, my guess it was Luke, Han or even Chewie himself when she was very little.

There was something in the book about her spending her time on Jakku studying languages including droid and various other races. 

I agree Rey needs to be someone but I've heard the counter opinion be that the force should be something wide in the galaxy and not reserved for the "royal" Skywalkers.  I see that. But I want her to be a Skywalker. It's the Skywalker saga after all. 

Oh I agree.  I'm sure there are a lot of force users out there that haven't tapped into their potential.  And they showed that in TFA when she had that flash to when the Knights of Ren wiped out the Jedi Academy.  So they are showing that Luke was training new apprentices in the force.  But she seems to be more powerful then a normal force sensitive person which leads me to believe that Rey has Skywalker lineage.

I saw the movie finally and loved it.  Finally!  Back to the way Star Wars should be.  I have to say though, reading this thread with a bunch of grown men debating complete fantasy it reminded me of this SNL skit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16_BEVusSHU

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Star Wars: The Force Awakens added another $88.3 million in its third weekend, topping the previous record for a third frame by 29%. This morning’s estimate brings the film’s domestic total to $740.2 million in 17 days. While that is an amazing feat, The Force saw a steeper drop (-40.8%) and that leaves it short of the all-time domestic box office record. Once again, the number to beat is $760.5 million, set by Avatarin 2010, and it looks like it will take Star Wars at least another day to reach that.

All grosses reported by Disney since New Year’s Eve (Thursday) have been estimated rather than actual, but it’s safe to say that the studio would be thrilled to claim the record if it thought it had the numbers to back it up. As it is, waiting another day or two hardly diminishes the film’s box office achievements. Worldwide, The Force Awakens has earned $1.5 billion, though that does not include all international grosses from this weekend. At the moment the film stands at number seven in terms of global earnings – less than $6 million behind Furious 7.

"Disney's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' continues its record-breaking run at an astounding pace, crossing $1.5 billion globally this weekend after 19 days in release and not stands as the sixth highest grossing movie of all-time worldwide, passing 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' and is on track to pass Universal's 'Furious 7' and 'Marvel's The Avengers' to take the number four global spot." Read more at: https://tr.im/ardwO

Saw "The Force Awakens" on the 27th. It was pretty good overall I suppose, nothing great, but nowhere near as bad as the last trilogy. Didn't care for Finn, he got annoying early and predictable. The whole time watching the film, I thought I was watching a reimaging of A New Hope, there was even a trench at the end lol.

As for Rey, I think it's pretty clear as to whom she's related to.................... there's only two choices. IMO there were 5 very strong hints that she's Luke's daughter, although the whole Rey/Ren thing (yes I am aware than Kylo Ren's real name is Ben) and the way Han looked at her at times, made me question my original thoughts. If Rey does end up being Luke's daughter, I have a theory as to who Rey's mother would be. She's a pretty visible character in the film.

4 hours ago, Project_Legacy said:

Saw "The Force Awakens" on the 27th. It was pretty good overall I suppose, nothing great, but nowhere near as bad as the last trilogy. Didn't care for Finn, he got annoying early and predictable. The whole time watching the film, I thought I was watching a reimaging of A New Hope, there was even a trench at the end lol.

As for Rey, I think it's pretty clear as to whom she's related to.................... there's only two choices. IMO there were 5 very strong hints that she's Luke's daughter, although the whole Rey/Ren thing (yes I am aware than Kylo Ren's real name is Ben) and the way Han looked at her at times, made me question my original thoughts. If Rey does end up being Luke's daughter, I have a theory as to who Rey's mother would be. She's a pretty visible character in the film.

Phasma?