Jeffrey Orridge Discussion On Facebook

iso_55

Why does it not shock me that the doom n gloom squad are already questioning the new commish's abilities lol.

Well, if he had a lower profile he's be a miner.

What does that even mean? People ripped cohorn for being too flashy. Now this guys getting ripped for being too out of the spotlight.

What kind of profile do you expect for a guy who is in his first ever grey cup situation. Dancing with mascots? Wining and dining on camera? Maybe he should wear a go-pro so you can see everything he is up to.

Man, dude. Like is the whole world butterflies & sunshine for you? Everytime anybody says anything critical about anything you jump all over them. So, Orridge has been a great Commissioner then? No drug testing policy? Attendance down? TV ratings down? Games sucked for the most part?. Never said a word when Rogers was *******  over the Argos? Yeah, the guy's first year was a huge success. 

Man, dude. Like is the whole world butterflies & sunshine for you? Everytime anybody says anything critical about anything you jump all over them. So, Orridge has been a great Commissioner then? No drug testing policy? Attendance down? TV ratings down? Games sucked for the most part?. Never said a word when Rogers was *******  over the Argos? Yeah, the guy's first year was a huge success.

Yup. Thats it, I just gloss over everything and cherry pick good stuff. You said it yourself. Its his first year. How is games sucking on him? Ditto attendance or tv viewership. you are blaming him for things beyond his control happening on his first year. Drug policy, ok sure but he still has to get that past the cflpa. Rogers screwing over the argos? You expect a league commish whos league is what.. 10% of value of said company to pick a fight with that company? Talk about david and goliath. Him getting the argos into a new venue is a win in that regard to me.

Like I said. Its no surprise the doom n gloomers are staring reallllly hard to find faults in how hes functioned.

Since he is supposed to be a expert with regard to newer media platforms I would be satisfied if he increases the CFL revenues through this.

As for halifax, council there already rejected the idea of a new stadium for a proposed site.  One of the councillors (or mayor?) stated that they might explore the possibility of a new 10-14,000 seat stadium in 10 years or so.  Might as well be never although new sites and new proposals could emerge I suppose.  

People say Winnipeg is a can't do city full of negative people, but the maritimes takes this attitude to a whole new level.  Every little development and plans for re-development are scrutinized and often never come to fruition due to the old guard that are set in their ways and suspicious of anything new.  They have had over thrity years to try and get a team there and haven't even come close.  Since rich individuals and families like the Irvings and McCains won't get involved that should serve as some indication of the level of interest there.  Young people are also leaving those provinces by the thousands so it might not even make sense to put an expansion team there given the demographics.

Nearest best bet is Quebec City though I suspect that's a long shot given the government jjust spent $370 million for a new arena so I very much doubt there will be any taxpayer money appropriated towards a new stadium within the next decade...and it will have to be 100% or nearly 100% financed by the government.  

Maybe if the boom continues in Saskatchewan we will see a new team in Saskatoon 20 years down the road.  At that point the province should be able to sustain two teams.

Yup. Thats it, I just gloss over everything and cherry pick good stuff. You said it yourself. Its his first year. How is games sucking on him? Ditto attendance or tv viewership. you are blaming him for things beyond his control happening on his first year. Drug policy, ok sure but he still has to get that past the cflpa. Rogers screwing over the argos? You expect a league commish whos league is what.. 10% of value of said company to pick a fight with that company? Talk about david and goliath. Him getting the argos into a new venue is a win in that regard to me.

Like I said. Its no surprise the doom n gloomers are staring reallllly hard to find faults in how hes functioned.

Look, you call them doom & goomers, I don't. They're realists. Not having a drug policy is an embarrassment. Let alone speaks to how the CFL views player safety. Players get suspended for PEDS usage in the CIS & the CFL ignores it. Nearly a year later & nothing is done. How hard is it for Orridge to push for the CFL honouring all CIS suspensions? That should be Job 1 on his agenda working with the CFLPA yet not one word this season came  out of his office on either doping or drug suspensions..

Another issue is he had staff that were there in the Commissioners Office that worked for Cohon. They know the issues on doping & suspensions so why wouldn't they keep working these 2 issues knowing a new man/woman was going to be hired? I can't believe everything just came to a screaching halt the day Mark Cohon cleaned out his desk & said goodbye.

As far as fighting Rogers, I don't know. At least come out publicly & say SOMETHING instead of nothing. For the dwindling Argo fanbase who support that team & deserve a lot better. I'd be interested if the CFL & their lawyers at the very least looked at the fine print on the lease agreement the Argos had with the Rogers Centre to see if the turnaround time they claim the place needed to be converted from a baseball field to a football field wasn't breached.

The very least Orridge could have done was come out of his office to catch some air & go around the CFL promoting the league. If nothing else, to get on tv & use other media outlets locally & nationally to let the fans get to know him. Yet there he was in one of the Toronto Liberals MP's offices election night on CBC backing the winner & doing interviews. Do I care if he voted Liberal & were happy they won? If anything, I don't want to know his politics & who he voted for.To me, he hasn't done anything to stand out. Maybe he'll be a late bloomer & grow into the job but so far a lot of people are still asking who is this guy?

Oh, one last thing, I never should have said "butterflies & sunshine" when describing how you feel about the Bombers & CFL. I was out of line. You're truly a great fan. I may not agree with you at times but I respect your opinions. 

Since he is supposed to be a expert with regard to newer media platforms I would be satisfied if he increases the CFL revenues through this.

As for halifax, council there already rejected the idea of a new stadium for a proposed site.  One of the councillors (or mayor?) stated that they might explore the possibility of a new 10-14,000 seat stadium in 10 years or so.  Might as well be never although new sites and new proposals could emerge I suppose.  

People say Winnipeg is a can't do city full of negative people, but the maritimes takes this attitude to a whole new level.  Every little development and plans for re-development are scrutinized and often never come to fruition due to the old guard that are set in their ways and suspicious of anything new.  They have had over thrity years to try and get a team there and haven't even come close.  Since rich individuals and families like the Irvings and McCains won't get involved that should serve as some indication of the level of interest there.  Young people are also leaving those provinces by the thousands so it might not even make sense to put an expansion team there given the demographics.

Nearest best bet is Quebec City though I suspect that's a long shot given the government jjust spent $370 million for a new arena so I very much doubt there will be any taxpayer money appropriated towards a new stadium within the next decade...and it will have to be 100% or nearly 100% financed by the government.  

Maybe if the boom continues in Saskatchewan we will see a new team in Saskatoon 20 years down the road.  At that point the province should be able to sustain two teams.

Moncton & Halifax are utterly shortsighted. Like Moncton with its stadium, what's the point of a 10,000 seat stadium in Halifax? They should be looking at a stadium the minimum size being 25,000. They can attract major rock acts or other attractions to Halifax.  Yes, even one day perhaps get a CFL franchise. For a city of 400,000 a 25,000 seat stadium would be the right size for a market like that.

I suspect that the Irvings or McCains don't want to go thru the torturous exercise of getting a new stadium approved. Just lookat the legal issues the ownership in Ottawa had to go thru to get the new TD Bank Stadium built. If a sufficient sized stadium was ever built in Halifax, I can see someone stepping up to get a CFL franchise. However, not before a CFL sized stadium is built first. 

Look, you call them doom & goomers, I don't. They're realists. Not having a drug policy is an embarrassment. Let alone speaks to how the CFL views player safety. Players get suspended for PEDS usage in the CIS & the CFL ignores it. Nearly a year later & nothing is done. How hard is it for Orridge to push for the CFL honouring all CIS suspensions? That should be Job 1 on his agenda working with the CFLPA yet not one word this season came  out of his office on either doping or drug suspensions..

Another issue is he had staff that were there in the Commissioners Office that worked for Cohon. They know the issues on doping & suspensions so why wouldn't they keep working these 2 issues knowing a new man/woman was going to be hired? I can't believe everything just came to a screaching halt the day Mark Cohon cleaned out his desk & said goodbye.

As far as fighting Rogers, I don't know. At least come out publicly & say SOMETHING instead of nothing. For the dwindling Argo fanbase who support that team & deserve a lot better. I'd be interested if the CFL & their lawyers at the very least looked at the fine print on the lease agreement the Argos had with the Rogers Centre to see if the turnaround time they claim the place needed to be converted from a baseball field to a football field wasn't breached.

The very least Orridge could have done was come out of his office to catch some air & go around the CFL promoting the league. If nothing else, to get on tv & use other media outlets locally & nationally to let the fans get to know him. Yet there he was in one of the Toronto Liberals MP's offices election night on CBC backing the winner & doing interviews. Do I care if he voted Liberal & were happy they won? If anything, I don't want to know his politics & who he voted for.To me, he hasn't done anything to stand out. Maybe he'll be a late bloomer & grow into the job but so far a lot of people are still asking who is this guy?

Oh, one last thing, I never should have said "butterflies & sunshine" when describing how you feel about the Bombers & CFL. I was out of line. You're truly a great fan. I may not agree with you at times but I respect your opinions. 

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/11/26/dirty-grey-cup-congratulations-cfl-you-went-an-entire-season-without-drug-testing

Per Friesen's tweets, the CFL has addressed ALL the concerns about the previous drug testing policy but they are getting push back from the CFLPA.

Go figure

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/11/26/dirty-grey-cup-congratulations-cfl-you-went-an-entire-season-without-drug-testing

Quite honestly, he's done a lot of what you've been asking him to do and you've just been too busy complaining about him to notice.

Oh and just to add on one more thing - Orridge and the rest of the CFL executives will be unveiling an entirely rebranded league today at the State of the League address.

New logo. New slogan. New marketing approach to attract a younger fanbase. New uniforms. New everything.

Sounds like he's been fairly busy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ-TODedlzs&feature=youtu.be

Per Friesen's tweets, the CFL has addressed ALL the concerns about the previous drug testing policy but they are getting push back from the CFLPA.

Strange,  that it's the players (at least in the NFL) who oppose drug testing.

I think the NFL wants to test for HG hormone, and the players are opposed.

Why is that strange... of course the players are the one who would oppose...

Go figure

Quite honestly, he's done a lot of what you've been asking him to do and you've just been too busy complaining about him to notice.

I wonder what will happen this spring if another CIS player test positive for PEDs & is suspended? Think the CFL will honour the suspension? I HOPE by the time the CFL Combine happens they have something in place to honour suspensions. We know there are players juicing in CIS as there's no fear anything will happen if they're seniors in their draft year. Having a new logo is nice.

On a Saturday? If there is something it would be in Toronto next week where the national media is. I just hope any new rule has some teeth & that players coming up from CIS don't just laugh when they get suspended their final year knowing the CFL will just ignore it. That the CFL honours suspensions from the CIS. That'll send shock waves down to the university level for sure.

Strange,  that it's the players (at least in the NFL) who oppose drug testing.

I think the NFL wants to test for HG hormone, and the players are opposed.

Why is that strange... of course the players are the one who would oppose...

No, I'm not suggesting anything, I don't know enough about it I suppose....

Orridge has brought in new sponsors like Kal Tire, BF Goodrich, Redtag.ca, Microsoft, Canadian Beef, etc. The new "What We're Made Of" promo is pretty good IMO and while I'm not crazy about the CFL's new logo, It's already starting to grow on me. The Grey Cup and playoffs are also available to watch worldwide, minus China. It's his job to sell the brand and bring in more revenue, not improve the game or bring up scoring, that's on the gms, coaches and competition committee. Patience is needed when it comes to Orridge and his job, people tend to forget that the only thing Cohon did his first year was introduce the "This is Our League" slogan, it took some time before the League surged.

On a Saturday? If there is something it would be in Toronto next week where the national media is. I just hope any new rule has some teeth & that players coming up from CIS don't just laugh when they get suspended their final year knowing the CFL will just ignore it. That the CFL honours suspensions from the CIS. That'll send shock waves down to the university level for sure.

A lot of those media guys are actually here in winnipeg now tho.

A lot of those media guys are actually here in winnipeg now tho.

I guess more people are watching the 6 o'clock news on a Monday than weekend news on a Saturday.

I like how Orridge placed some of the blame for lower CFL ratings on the Pan Am Games. :lol: Right, because people were watching those events in high numbers.

IF CFL ratings drop next year I'm sure he will blame the Euro Cup and the Summer Olympics.  Fact is, every summer there are other big events on.  That's called competition and something the CFL has had to deal with from its inception.