the brain

Taynted_Fayth

I didnt wanna hijack rich's mandela thread, but in talking briefly about thinking deja vu was from ur subconscious tapping into esp/premonition, has anyone seen the movie Lucy (2014) with scarlet johanson & morgan freeman where there is a drug that allows you to use 100% of your brain? Sounds like limitless but much different. An example is at 20% of its brain in use, the dolphin has a natural sonar better then any man made version, and its just a perk to that usage.

The things she can do gradually at like 40%, 50%...ect some seems a little far fetched, but any guesses what we could realistically do with full use of our brains?

I believe telepathy could be a very real thing. I do think while animals use less of their brain then humans, use that part to communicate amongst each other. But not to us because we use totally different areas so it sounds like noises the human brain.

Ive seen chappie, alot of ppl were discussing it on fb in one of those I fn love science posts. I argued the ability would be flawed due to emotional affect on the conscience decisions people make and whether or not AI with your uploaded tendencies and logic could fully appreciate that factor. As well as experience, such as for myself, I was told as a kid not to touch the red element on the stove. Logically I knew not to touch it because it was hot, but I still touched it to see if it was true, would my uploaded version do the same if i never had tried

Ive seen chappie, alot of ppl were discussing it on fb in one of those I fn love science posts. I argued the ability would be flawed due to emotional affect on the conscience decisions people make and whether or not AI with your uploaded tendencies and logic could fully appreciate that factor. As well as experience, such as for myself, I was told as a kid not to touch the red element on the stove. Logically I knew not to touch it because it was hot, but I still touched it to see if it was true, would my uploaded version do the same if i never had tried

You were also told not to eat paint chips but we can all see how that turned out.   ;)

Ill be happy when they can download my consciousness into a computer and essentially keep me alive for eternity.

Ew, no thanks.

Here's a question for you though.  If they download your brain to a machine, is it still you, or a copy of you?

It's a copy. But a self aware copy that would be deserving of life as well.

I think it would be a copy of you to an extent but limited to the point u uploaded it. Probably involves alot of rehashing events of your life as well as a series of aptitude testing, then thrown in with some sort of AI to calculate based on what it knows of you, the common responses and/or actions you would likely produce based on situations and scenerios. Kind of like how Jor-El is in the crystals superman uses on earth, it can interact as best it can but the odd time youd encounter "does not compute" instances

Well, lets say im dying and the technology exists to download my consciousness and once done, I still think, remember, feel, emote etc.  Im still me.  And I still learn and amd self aware.  Thats what I'd love to experience.

Ofcourse it raises questions of how would it "feel" and would I still have sight, smell, hearing.  Would I be in control or would somone be in control of my on/off switch.  Without a physical body, I wouldnt breath or go hungry...would my consciousness still experience hunger even without the physical triggers?  Could a command be entered to make me think I'd eaten something delicious, to "taste" it in my brain?

If its just me being "conscious" but in complete darkness without any physical stimuli, then I'd have to reconsider perhaps.  But also having an option to put me to sleep for one week, one year, one decade, one century would be interesting.  It would be like one way time travel, instaniously moving into the future.

When I think about my mortality, I regret that I wont be around to see where humanity goes in 100 years, 1000 years, 10,000 years.  When I see a photo of something from 100+ years ago or imagine what New York looked like i the year 1000, I am filled with an overwhelming wish that I could go there, even just for a day.  Just to experience it.  Same with the future... So I'd sign up for a downloaded brain experiement. 

Well, lets say im dying and the technology exists to download my consciousness and once done, I still think, remember, feel, emote etc.  Im still me.  And I still learn and amd self aware.  Thats what I'd love to experience.

Ofcourse it raises questions of how would it "feel" and would I still have sight, smell, hearing.  Would I be in control or would somone be in control of my on/off switch.  Without a physical body, I wouldnt breath or go hungry...would my consciousness still experience hunger even without the physical triggers?  Could a command be entered to make me think I'd eaten something delicious, to "taste" it in my brain?

If its just me being "conscious" but in complete darkness without any physical stimuli, then I'd have to reconsider perhaps.  But also having an option to put me to sleep for one week, one year, one decade, one century would be interesting.  It would be like one way time travel, instaniously moving into the future.

When I think about my mortality, I regret that I wont be around to see where humanity goes in 100 years, 1000 years, 10,000 years.  When I see a photo of something from 100+ years ago or imagine what New York looked like i the year 1000, I am filled with an overwhelming wish that I could go there, even just for a day.  Just to experience it.  Same with the future... So I'd sign up for a downloaded brain experiement. 

The real question, and the only one that really matters ...  is if you were just a downloaded consciousness, would you still post on MBB?

The real question, and the only one that really matters ...  is if you were just a downloaded consciousness, would you still post on MBB?

Not only would I but I'd probably be able to do so more because I wouldnt require sleep.  Also I could operate an infinite amount of computers with an infinite amount of aliases.

Ill be happy when they can download my consciousness into a computer and essentially keep me alive for eternity.

Ew, no thanks.

Here's a question for you though.  If they download your brain to a machine, is it still you, or a copy of you?

It's a copy. But a self aware copy that would be deserving of life as well.

Not if I smash it with a hammer.  Then he's screwed.  No one deserves to live forever!  SMASH SMASH SMASH!!!  :)

I didnt wanna hijack rich's mandela thread, but in talking briefly about thinking deja vu was from ur subconscious tapping into esp/premonition, has anyone seen the movie Lucy (2014) with scarlet johanson & morgan freeman where there is a drug that allows you to use 100% of your brain? Sounds like limitless but much different. An example is at 20% of its brain in use, the dolphin has a natural sonar better then any man made version, and its just a perk to that usage.

The things she can do gradually at like 40%, 50%...ect some seems a little far fetched, but any guesses what we could realistically do with full use of our brains?

I believe telepathy could be a very real thing. I do think while animals use less of their brain then humans, use that part to communicate amongst each other. But not to us because we use totally different areas so it sounds like noises the human brain.

The thing about us only using 10% of our brain is being proven false. We still don't know a lot about the workings of the brain and even less about how to monitor it. 

The thing about us only using 10% of our brain is being proven false. We still don't know a lot about the workings of the brain and even less about how to monitor it. 

i think i remember reading or seeing a news report sometime ago within last 6 months, some scientist were saying we use more then 10% of our brain as a whole, but the 10% was what we used at a time or something like that, ill see if i can dig up something along that context

I enjoyed Lucy, not sure about the myth on 10%, maybe it gives people hope about the what ifs on what we can do if we can already do so much using so little. maybe it subconsciously makes people push harder, but can use the limitation as a fall back as to why they cant get any further?

I personally heard the 10% echoed by a lot of people growing up, maybe the lack of people debunking it more publicly keeps the initial wrong info a popular belief?

not as far fetched as the men use 10% women use 11% crap tho