Bombers vs RedBlacks (and Jovon's chirp)

Westy Sucks

If Hurl is playing close to the line pre snap, then which of the following is more likely:

A) He's doing what he wants, where he wants and when he wants because no DC or HC is going to tell him how to do his job.

B) The strategy calls for him to do that.

I'm going with B, so that means that the guy responsible for Hurl playing where he does is Hall and I think that Hall probably has good reasons for doing that.

Perhaps the guy telling him to do that has a clear understanding of his limitations and is attempting to put him in a situation that he can contribute.

I'd assume that any good coach would take into account the relative strengths and weaknesses of his players when designing a strategy and do what he can to ensure that the player is question has every opportunity to be successful.  Isn't that exactly how it's supposed to work?

You'd be hard pressed to find a football team in Canada from high school to the pros who are playing the kind of 80s defense you guys are describing with guys guessing where the ball is going and chasing, and not gap control on first downs and 2nd and short.  The only major variations are on passing downs.

I see it every game in Calgary. No high school linebacker lines up like Hurl. No Eskimo linebacker either btw. 

You'd be hard pressed to find a football team in Canada from high school to the pros who are playing the kind of 80s defense you guys are describing with guys guessing where the ball is going and chasing, and not gap control on first downs and 2nd and short.  The only major variations are on passing downs.

I see it every game in Calgary. No high school linebacker lines up like Hurl. No Eskimo linebacker either btw. 

Every linebacker in Canada (excluding SAM's in the CFL) is playing through a gap first and foremost against the run, regardless of where they are lining up.  Formation doesn't matter, the gaps adjust to the blocking.  Just as every offence is using zone blocking in the run game.  It's a cat and mouse game.  Might swing back again, but that's where it is now.

Edmonton rarely shows a front with fewer than 5 guys on the line, same for Hamilton.  The guys in the middle are commonly the ones closer to the line taking an inside gap, that's why the playmakers are now the WIL's, Lawrence, McCoil, Bass, Venable etc.