Around the NHL

21 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Rumors are rumors. Has anyone heard if the Jets have asked Buff for his no trade list of teams, because if they haven't...

There is some speculation that players with the no trade lists provide them at the beginning of every season.  So a team doesnt have to go to a player at a specific point and request it...and then request it again later in the season and so on.  I believe Lawless mentioned he wasnt sure if it was a list of 10 teams he would NOT go to or a list of 10 teams he WOULD go to.  But odds are the Jets have it already.

I cant see Edmonton being on his go-to list, but you never know.  Maybe he likes Canada.  Besides, being a pending UFA, he could be fine going anywhere now...his choice in the summer.

I thought I heard a bit ago that (Lawless?) he hadn't been asked to hand in the list. I really don't like these clauses in player's contracts. They can really handcuff management.

I think both Ladd and Buff will return more than a lot of people think. Ladd at the TD would get quite a bit and Buff will get a lot regardless of when he is traded. If he makes it to UFA, Detroit and the Rangers will be all over him.

I don't want to see Buff in Deadmonton, he'd do too well there.

Rumors are also the way trades get started. a pretty reliable source says the Oilers are calling about Buff and apparently, they aren't on his no trade list... Buff seems like a guy who would put places like Toronto or Montreal, NYR, Philly, places like that on his no trade list, the big market places, he seems to like the small market teams, also doesn't hurt that Edmonton like Winnipeg is known for having some good outdoors stuff... Buff lives on Lake of the Woods, he's a Canadian at heart, an outdoors type of guy. 

I'll bet people would be surprised to learn the places on Buffs no trade list, i believe it's only 5 places and i'd be willing to bet just about anything that those 5 places are very big markets. 

I saw an interview as the season was getting under way and Buff said he wants to finish as a Jet but it's a business. He seems like a player that stays out of the way until negotiations are almost finished and lets his agent do his job. If we retain Ladd and let go of Buff, it is a mistake. If we are keeping one, keep Buff.

8 hours ago, Goalie said:

Some rumors out there that the Oilers are very interested in Buff and are talking to the Jets about him. Not sure what it would take but... 2016 1st for sure and then what do they add? Cuz trust me, they add... Not interested in Yakupov or Schultz or guys like that personally.

I really hope Yak does not get traded tot he Jets. They can keep Schultz too. Ditto most of their D not named Nurse.

Does anyone know just how good RNH is? Better than Scheif and by how much? Will he become 1C? His stats don't knock me off my chair. Read good things about him but why hasn't he had higher points totals? He gets about 50-55 points a season. If we are making a trade with them, I hope it is Hall and not RNH coming back if he can't push Scheifele to 2C. If he is that much better than Scheifele and we can get him, does Little move over tot he RW? I can't see him or Scheif centering the 3rd line.

Probably but I'm not sure that the jets would have interest in him. He's a center. Him and Scheif are similar... Scheif better defensively tho. I'm not sure that I see the need for another center tho. He doesn't play the wing.  I think Eberle or yakupov tho would be 2 guys of interest to the jets. Maybe Eberle more so since he's a somewhat proven goal scorer. And b4 people chime in with the you wouldn't get Eberle or Yakupov plus a first for Buff.... I'll bet you would. .... RNH eh. I guess maybe if it's Buff Burmi going to Edmonton. That might get you RNH and the 1st. Trust me... Buff will get more than ppl think he will. A first is a given.... no doubt about a first..... I'm thinking if they want buff enough.... Eberle yak or RNH plus that 1st would get it done. 

Umm. We have 3 offensive d men who are all right handed.  Signing Ladd and trading Buff makes sense when you think about it. Trouba. Myers or Hamonic is still a solid 1 2 rhd pairing. 

You look at the LW depth tho and Ladd Perreault. Who else. Thorburn and Halischuk? Yup. LW depth is weak. Rhd depth is strong so yup trading buff makes sense.

Connor is a prospect who is still probably a year away. Ehlers Plays the right side. LW depth is weak. Ladd is still on pace for over 20 goals. 

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

Umm. We have 3 offensive d men who are all right handed.  Signing Ladd and trading Buff makes sense when you think about it. Trouba. Myers or Hamonic is still a solid 1 2 rhd pairing. 

You look at the LW depth tho and Ladd Perreault. Who else. Thorburn and Halischuk? Yup. LW depth is weak. Rhd depth is strong so yup trading buff makes sense.

Connor is a prospect who is still probably a year away. Ehlers Plays the right side. LW depth is weak. Ladd is still on pace for over 20 goals. 

There is nothing on god's green earth that makes sense when you talk about signing "Ladd". He wants six years...he can barely make it through a season now!

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

If Edmonton is close to playoffs and McDavid is back, they could really overpay for a key piece like Buff... like Reinhart and their 2016 1st round...

Buff would be gone in a heartbeat......they can leave the 1st rounder in Buffalo, Chevy would trade him even  up. A nice Christmas present for Kaner...

Signing Ladd to long term contract with big money would be a huge mistake, at the moment his play doesn't warrrant 1st line minutes but in the coming years with a cap friendly contract he would be a very serviceable 3rd liner. Personally I would trade him this team is not built to win this year or even next so why pay guys big money for more of the same results. Big money should go to players that will get you to the playoffs and keep getting you there year after year not one and done.

Gagner really has dropped off his production big time recently, He's a victim of the Oilers rushing a player who probably wasn't ready at the time. 

It's unfortunate cuz the guy has some skill, quite a bit of it actually, But... that contract i guess and his production = nobody will take a chance.