Oregon Shooting

Roseburg, Oregon (CNN)The gunman who opened fire at Oregon's Umpqua Community College singled out Christians, according to the father of a wounded student.

Before going into spinal surgery, Anastasia Boylan told her father the gunman entered her classroom firing.

"I've been waiting to do this for years," the gunman told the professor teaching the class. He shot him point blank, Boylan recounted.

Others were hit too, she told her family.

Everyone in the classroom dropped to the ground.

The gunman, while reloading his handgun, ordered the students to stand up and asked if they were Christians, Boylan told her family.

"And they would stand up and he said, 'Good, because you're a Christian, you're going to see God in just about one second,'" Boylan's father, Stacy, told CNN, relaying her account.

"And then he shot and killed them."

Boylan, 18, was hit in the back by a bullet that traveled down her spine. While she lay bleeding on the floor, the gunman called out to her, "Hey you, blond woman," her mother said.

She played dead -- and survived.

****Gee if only all those student had guns too, this would never have happened.  When will America wake up and realise MORE GUNS is the answer!

It's less about guns and more about making sure mentally ill people can't have access to them. But, bottom line, America has a really big problem....

America has a problem that contributes to several other problems and that's the nature of their politics make their politicians gutless.The gun lobby are a bunch of morons hiding like cowards behind the constitution but they have enough puppets on congress to ensure no real gun control ever gets passed.

The sad thing is, these mass shootings happen to the innocent.  Just let one mass shooting happen at an NRA meeting.  Oh but it would never happen because the tough NRA crowd would shoot back.  Sure they would.  Uh huh.   Seeing people fawning over Obama's outrage is hilarious.  Dont tell us you're angry.  Again.  Do something.

It's less about guns and more about making sure mentally ill people can't have access to them. But, bottom line, America has a really big problem....

America has a problem that contributes to several other problems and that's the nature of their politics make their politicians gutless.The gun lobby are a bunch of morons hiding like cowards behind the constitution but they have enough puppets on congress to ensure no real gun control ever gets passed.

The sad thing is, these mass shootings happen to the innocent.  Just let one mass shooting happen at an NRA meeting.  Oh but it would never happen because the tough NRA crowd would shoot back.  Sure they would.  Uh huh.   Seeing people fawning over Obama's outrage is hilarious.  Dont tell us you're angry.  Again.  Do something.

What can Obama do though?  Like you said, the gun lobby has enough people to ensure nothing happens.  Until those people are out, nothing (regardless of who's in the White House) much can be done.

As a staunch conservative, I thought you'd be pro-guns, as the Canadian con's are...

Seeing people fawning over Obama's outrage is hilarious.  Dont tell us you're angry.  Again.  Do something.

What should he do? Congress wouldn't even pass a ban on assault weapons. Why does anybody need an assault rifle?

I read a great line on twitter: "In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate. Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over."

Seeing people fawning over Obama's outrage is hilarious.  Dont tell us you're angry.  Again.  Do something.

What should he do? Congress wouldn't even pass a ban on assault weapons. Why does anybody need an assault rifle?

I read a great line on twitter: "In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate. Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over."

that tweet's been going around for awhile, and I re-tweeted it yesterday...it's basically perfect, in the saddest way possible.

If the President of the United States can't rally enough support or power or favours or simply shame congress into acting, then there is no hope.

I agree, why does anyone need an assault rifle.  And there is no answer.  It comes down to the American's misrepresentation of the 2nd amendment.  And this warped idea that the people must be allowed to be armed like the military to keep the government honest.  Which is absurd for many reasons, not least of which is, if the government wanted to wipe out some group of nutbars living in the backwards and armed to the teeth, they would.  And they'd win.

The American people get intimidated by the gun lobby.  "If they take my assault rifle, whats next?  Are they going to take away your internet??"  Slippery slope BS.

Man, I can't believe I'm going to say this but... Guns really aren't the problem, They really aren't.. It's the person pulling the trigger that is the problem. However with that being said, I don't really see the need for people to own handguns and assault type weapons. I'm a hunter, I go hunting, My dad goes hunting, I own a gun, it's a shotgun, i own a rifle also, i also own a .22 lol but regardless, those are only used for hunting. I don't own any assault rifles or handguns, none. The problem in the states is, handguns and assault rifles are so easy to get it seems... why do people have to own these  types of guns? There really is no point, i get that they say its for protection, perhaps the answer in the states if they are unwilling to actually stop the selling of assault rifles and handguns is indeed more guns, everyone gets a gun and some of this stuff might not happen.

It's sad for sure but... it's never gonna stop until the USA realizes that handguns and assault weapons aren't needed. 

But then they ban them and what happens? A  guy probably stabs a bunch of people to death instead... 

Easy to blame guns but... they aren't the real issue. The person using it is the real issue. Not sure how you can stop a crazy person from getting a hold of a gun. 

Man, I can't believe I'm going to say this but... Guns really aren't the problem, They really aren't.. It's the person pulling the trigger that is the problem. However with that being said, I don't really see the need for people to own handguns and assault type weapons. I'm a hunter, I go hunting, My dad goes hunting, I own a gun, it's a shotgun, i own a rifle also, i also own a .22 lol but regardless, those are only used for hunting. I don't own any assault rifles or handguns, none. The problem in the states is, handguns and assault rifles are so easy to get it seems... why do people have to own these  types of guns? There really is no point, i get that they say its for protection, perhaps the answer in the states if they are unwilling to actually stop the selling of assault rifles and handguns is indeed more guns, everyone gets a gun and some of this stuff might not happen.

It's sad for sure but... it's never gonna stop until the USA realizes that handguns and assault weapons aren't needed. 

But then they ban them and what happens? A  guy probably stabs a bunch of people to death instead... 

Easy to blame guns but... they aren't the real issue. The person using it is the real issue. Not sure how you can stop a crazy person from getting a hold of a gun. 

I agree.  The issue is nuts and the ease at which they get guns.

For one thing, the law should be utterly crippling to people who use a gun in a crime.  Thats one thing.  Secondly, the issue here is these people arent going to prison because they want and expect to die. 

There are so many guns in the US that they could ban every firearm and it would take generations to clean it up.  But they cant do nothing because it's hard.  They have to do stop hand guns and assault rifles.  And if that means changing the 2nd amendment because too many Americans fall for the nonsense of it, then so be it.  But good luck changing the constitution.  Like the Bible, something written by man hundreds (or thousands) of years ago is above reproach.  lol

For sure people are to blame, but having the guns and assault rifles so readily available exacerbate the problem.

Someone wants to try this with a knife?  He needs to get into close proximity to each person to stab them (unless he has a bunch of knives and is really good at throwing them ninja style), and a group of people could swarm him to take him down.  With a fully automatic weapon he can clear the whole room from the door way without anyone having a chance to defend themselves.

Oh i agree... assault weapons are ridiculous and no way people should have access to them. That needs to change for sure, I just don't see it changing. That sandy hook quote says it all, when the american people pretty much decided that killing kids was ok, that was really the end of the discussion for gun control. I don't get their mind set, I really don't, maybe it's because I'm Canadian but... things like this just make no sense to me. 

How  can these people get these weapons so easily...

background checks? that's cool but some people have no issues, gotta go more than that...

Gotta educate people, i don't know if they can. Or if they even want too. 

It really feels that way, doesnt it?  Like when asked what they'd be willing to sacrifice to keep their "right" to bear arms, they've accepted that the lives of their children is an acceptable risk.  Very sad.

Can we harden the law to throw in jail the people who allowed the guns to fall into the wrong hands?  For example, I think one of the school shootings involved a young person taking his mom's gun.  Is she not obligated to make sure beyond any possibility that the gun falls into the wrong hands?  Should she not be held accountable?  That might make some people who arent really enthusiasts but want a gun think twice...

Chris Mints, the hero that charged the UCC shooter to help save others is doing fine after having surgery to remove 7 bullets.

http://imgur.com/w4IhEIv

Read that too.  Thanks for posting.  He (and the other heroes) deserve some recognition.

Violence paralyzes a lot of people.  Not this former marine who took 7 bullets while charging the shooter.  Thats incredible. 

When I read the story and the shooter stopped to reload, I was thinking "someone tackle him!"  But it really does paralyze people.  I think the more this happens, the more that night change (like airplane hijackings).  But unfortunately most of these shooters want to die anyway so the threat of being over-run by citizen's wont be a deterrent.

OK, the knife was just an example.. the point is.. if somebody wanted to kill people, there are other ways to do it other than just guns... Knives are just one example, dude could build a bomb, anarchists cookbook shows you to make several... 

It's not really about the weapon.. it's about the person with that weapon. I'm not sure how you deal with this. I guess things like this, it makes me realize how lucky i am to actually live in Canada but Canada has a bunch of crazy bastards too so really... I don't know what to say here. 

It's just insane. 

Yeah, the problem is the NRA. If it was up to them, they'd arm 6 year olds & tell them to stand their ground. Just complete dipshits. I don't like Obama but he was right yesterday when he said it's all politics. 

Yeah, the problem is the NRA. If it was up to them, they'd arm 6 year olds & tell them to stand their ground. Just complete dipshits. I don't like Obama but he was right yesterday when he said it's all politics. 

This is the perfect issue for an out-going President.  He has no reason to be nice or fair or whatever.  He should publicly humiliate the NRA idiots.  He should read the names and home addresses of congressmen who oppose gun control.  He should instruct the FBI, ATF, Army or whatever it takes to hunt down illegal arms and get them out of the hands of citizens.

The patriot Act is okay but disarming Americans of assault rifles isnt?  Ridiculous.  Obama can stand up there and clench his jaw all he wants.  He needs to lead on this.  Worse case scenario the gun nuts all vote Right Wing which they would anyway.  Make this THE election issue.  You either support illegal guns and assault rifles in the hands of people who want to kill your children or you dont.  Go vote.

OK, the knife was just an example.. the point is.. if somebody wanted to kill people, there are other ways to do it other than just guns... Knives are just one example, dude could build a bomb, anarchists cookbook shows you to make several... 

It's not really about the weapon.. it's about the person with that weapon. I'm not sure how you deal with this. I guess things like this, it makes me realize how lucky i am to actually live in Canada but Canada has a bunch of crazy bastards too so really... I don't know what to say here. 

It's just insane. 

Yes if someone really wants to kill a bunch of people there will always be ways to do it.  But if you make it harder to do, then the person has to be really determined to do it over an extended period of time.

Why are things not to the same extreme in Canada as they are in the states?  Some of it might be culture and up-bringing, but both countries get pretty much the same media and are very close in culture.

Canada has stricter gun laws then the states.

Most of the people who end up doing these things have severe mental problems.   A lot of those involve high volatility and swings from happy to mad / depressed.  If the gun is easy to get when they are in a “low”, then they can easily act out.  If all they have to act out is a bomb recipe, then they have to go to the internet, look up the cook book on how to make the bomb, then get all the components, then assemble it all, then act out.  If they can even accomplish all of that, by the time they do it all, they may now be moving into an upswing.

Why don't we leave loaded guns on every street corner?  Do you think that would make gun related deaths go up or down?  If it is really just about the person, that shouldn't matter, right?

People need to be responsible for their actions, but we don't have to make ridiculous actions (like using semi or fully automatic weapons)  easy for people to do.  

Trump would be all over this & get that ******* elected. It'd never work.

I dont think so.

Firstly it would give the Democrats some sense that they are tough (which they usually dont seem like they are).

Also, a majority of Americans support a law against mentally ill people getting guns and support a ban on assault rifles and support a national registry of ALL gun sales.

Sounds to me like they'd be playing to the majority. 

ofcourse, issues like this embolden and entrench people so you might get some people who otherwise dont vote choosing to vote because of one issue but you'd think that would be the case on both sides.

Play to the majority.  Get elected.  Go for it Hilary.

Never happen. The NRA & the right wing Republicans would fight gun control like it is the end of the world. I know some Americans who pack handguns. They feel that carrying a weapon is the only way to protect themselves. I was in a small town in Nevada a year ago this month. Guy walked into the gas station where I was at filling up & was "proudly" displaying the gun he was carrying. He made sure everyone knew he was packing. Being Canadian it was a strange sight & a little scary. On the local radio an ad came on preaching the virtues of buying a gun at a local gun store & saying that owning a gun protects oneself & their families from criminals. How do you suppose you overcome things like that? I think some people down there are so twisted they'd look upon any kind of gun control as the start of a civil war.