Oregon Shooting

It's less about guns and more about making sure mentally ill people can't have access to them. But, bottom line, America has a really big problem....

America has a problem that contributes to several other problems and that's the nature of their politics make their politicians gutless.The gun lobby are a bunch of morons hiding like cowards behind the constitution but they have enough puppets on congress to ensure no real gun control ever gets passed.

The sad thing is, these mass shootings happen to the innocent.  Just let one mass shooting happen at an NRA meeting.  Oh but it would never happen because the tough NRA crowd would shoot back.  Sure they would.  Uh huh.   Seeing people fawning over Obama's outrage is hilarious.  Dont tell us you're angry.  Again.  Do something.

What can Obama do though?  Like you said, the gun lobby has enough people to ensure nothing happens.  Until those people are out, nothing (regardless of who's in the White House) much can be done.

One thing the US Govt. could do is to make it illegal to publicize the identify of the shooter by name or any other descriptors, much like what is already done for young offenders or children who have been sexually abused. 

This guy had the right idea.

Douglas County Sheriff John Hanlin said at a news conference he was not going to say the shooter's name because that's what he would have wanted.

"I will not name the shooter," he said. "I will not give him the credit he probably sought prior to this horrific and cowardly act."

Without the publicity and notoriety of these events how many wannabees are going to seek this level of revenge?  In almost every case they find the shooter was a fan of previous mass-murder events and the psychopaths that committed them.  If the killers go nameless and are purged from mass media, their immortality goes with them.

It may be a small step, but it's a start and I believe it would reduce the motive for a lot of these nutbars.

Canadians, we think we're so much better than Americans.

We're pretty much not allowed to defend ourselves and our family, and that's disgraceful. Instead, we have to call the police and pray they get there in time.

I keep a weapon in every room. I don't own guns, but many objects are weapons. I won't be caught flat footed again.

Never happen. The NRA & the right wing Republicans would fight gun control like it is the end of the world. I know some Americans who pack handguns. They feel that carrying a weapon is the only way to protect themselves. I was in a small town in Nevada a year ago this month. Guy walked into the gas station where I was at filling up & was "proudly" displaying the gun he was carrying. He made sure everyone knew he was packing. Being Canadian it was a strange sight & a little scary. On the local radio an ad came on preaching the virtues of buying a gun at a local gun store & saying that owning a gun protects oneself & their families from criminals. How do you suppose you overcome things like that? I think some people down there are so twisted they'd look upon any kind of gun control as the start of a civil war.

Given how corrupt the government is, they should have their own guns. That's the reason for the 2nd amendment. To defend against tyranny. And right now, they're borderline.

To be clear this guy was hell bent on killing people and all his guns were legally obtained, just another ticking time bomb.The U.S. will never change their gun laws way to many people against it and will continue to have there episodes, there are people down there that think they still live in the wild west. American leaders are also the first to condemn killings around the world yet i don't think they realize how many people are killed by guns everyday in the U.S, 

Never happen. The NRA & the right wing Republicans would fight gun control like it is the end of the world. I know some Americans who pack handguns. They feel that carrying a weapon is the only way to protect themselves. I was in a small town in Nevada a year ago this month. Guy walked into the gas station where I was at filling up & was "proudly" displaying the gun he was carrying. He made sure everyone knew he was packing. Being Canadian it was a strange sight & a little scary. On the local radio an ad came on preaching the virtues of buying a gun at a local gun store & saying that owning a gun protects oneself & their families from criminals. How do you suppose you overcome things like that? I think some people down there are so twisted they'd look upon any kind of gun control as the start of a civil war.

Given how corrupt the government is, they should have their own guns. That's the reason for the 2nd amendment. To defend against tyranny. And right now, they're borderline.

The gun ad was just downright bizarre. Nevada is just a strange place to begin with anyway. If I was an alien that would be the state I'd live in as no one would notice.

According to the Washington Post in 2015 there have been 294 mass shootings in 274 days in the US 41 of those being school shoot-ups.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/10/01/2015-274-days-294-mass-shootings-hundreds-dead/

I honestly no longer care about this issue. why should I? Americans think it's fine. so, let them carry on killing each other. 

saw an amazing stat yesterday about the number of children killed by guns that their parents can't be bothered to lock up properly. In the USA. 

two days ago USA bombed a doctors without borders hospital in afghanistan and burned a bunch of people to death. They've been bombing that country since October 2001.

Yup. Why should I care when they don't. Becoming immune to these. The Sandy Hook one tugged at the heart strings... nothing changed. It never will so now really. .. they get what they get because they didn't do anything about it. Next week or month when it happens again... same old ****

According to the Washington Post in 2015 there have been 294 mass shootings in 274 days in the US 41 of those being school shoot-ups.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/10/01/2015-274-days-294-mass-shootings-hundreds-dead/

I honestly no longer care about this issue. why should I? Americans think it's fine. so, let them carry on killing each other. 

saw an amazing stat yesterday about the number of children killed by guns that their parents can't be bothered to lock up properly. In the USA. 

two days ago USA bombed a doctors without borders hospital in afghanistan and burned a bunch of people to death. They've been bombing that country since October 2001.

No kidding, and people wonder why there are so many refugees fleeing countries that are being bombed.  Without ground forces and intelligence, bombing is completely unguided and the victims are of no consequence.  I'm ashamed that Canada is participating in this activity.

We're pretty much not allowed to defend ourselves and our family, and that's disgraceful. Instead, we have to call the police and pray they get there in time.

I keep a weapon in every room. I don't own guns, but many objects are weapons. I won't be caught flat footed again.

"I keep a weapon in every room"

That's hilarious.  Maybe if I lived in Stony Mountain or something.  I do have a blunt object near my bed as that's the most defenseless I'd be in my house.  Even then, I only have it because I came into possession of it while working at a bar.  I'd hate to be someone that is so fearful or paranoid they need a weapon in every room.  To be fair though, I dont have kids.  And Im not sure if that would make me more likely to hide weapons Dwight Schrute style or less likely.

No they're not.  The 2nd amendment should have been altered decades ago.  Its a shame it was included in the constitution to begin with.

"I keep a weapon in every room"

That's hilarious. Maybe if I lived in Stony Mountain or something. I do have a blunt object near my bed as that's the most defenseless I'd be in my house. Even then, I only have it because I came into possession of it while working at a bar. I'd hate to be someone that is so fearful or paranoid they need a weapon in every room. To be fair though, I dont have kids. And Im not sure if that would make me more likely to hide weapons Dwight Schrute style or less likely.

I'm not fearful or paranoid....just going to be ready for the next psycho to break down my door. Cops took 45 mins to arrive. We got lucky and he was able to be 'restrained' by another person. (Choked out) 911 lady said don't hurt him, I said lady, he tried to kill my roommate. Last time I count tell on the police. Nothing against them, but it takes time to get to calls.

Now I'm married, and I will protect her with my life.....and the within reach objects.