Markus Howell as the new OC - Free Press

dmillerywg

So if Markus Howell calls the plays Robert Marve will be able to pass like a real CFL QB?  Sign him up!

From what you've seen with Marve, with coaching and reps, does he have the talent to be a legitimate CFL QB?

Too soon to tell.  He needs more game reps. But if we remember Reilly's first year with the Esks. Most wouldn't have expected much more out of him.

Is this a joke?  Reilly threw for 4000 yards that year.

He is probably referring to Reilly's first 5 or 6 games in which he failed to throw for 200 yards...I think in all of them.  With that said, he was not nearly as bad in any of those 6 games as Marve was last week and his production improved dramatically for the rest of the season.

You're arguing the extreme of the other position and using the exception to prove the rule. Outside of the pass and run to Marshall vs Toronto, Marve has 3 passes over 10 yards in the last two games, with his longest being 19. You're right, he should be allowed to make mistakes sometimes and occasionally throw into double coverage, but he should also sometimes show he can throw a deep ball (20+ yards) and so far he hasn't. Like 17to85 said, he needs to show that soon.
Actually, I'm arguing that Marve looks like an inexperienced QB, he's not getting much/any help from his OC and fans expectations are way too high.

Marve isn't going to throw a deep ball unless it's called for him by the OC and it's his first read. There have been very few of them called in the 2 games that Marve has started. It could be that the OC doesn't think he can complete them or that the O line can't give him protection, but it's more likely that's just that's the way MB's offense works.

There's no way for you to know what the reads are in any given play. That's a junk argument.

In other posts you are slamming MB for shoehorning Marve into an offense built for Willy, an offense that was among the league leaders in long passing plays. Which is it?

If the long ball isn't the first read, Marve isn't going to take it. Willy's a better QB and a pocket passer who gets to his 2nd maybe even 3rd read. That's the idea, not that I know what the reads are on any given play.  :rolleyes:

Here's exactly what you typed, indicating your knowledge of the playcalls and what Marve's first read is: "Marve isn't going to throw a deep ball unless it's called for him by the OC and it's his first read. There have been very few of them called in the 2 games that Marve has started."  

FYI, the deepest receiver in a route is almost always the first read because of the time it takes to set to make that throw and get the ball there, even if that receiver is running a clearing route.  If the defense is giving a free deep ball away, a QB will always take it.  Marve was likely progressing through his reads,  he certainly had a good amount of time on the majority of the passing plays, just too spooked to make a tough throw.  He indicated that post-game with CJOB, that he needs to have more confidence in his first read.

You're arguing the extreme of the other position and using the exception to prove the rule. Outside of the pass and run to Marshall vs Toronto, Marve has 3 passes over 10 yards in the last two games, with his longest being 19. You're right, he should be allowed to make mistakes sometimes and occasionally throw into double coverage, but he should also sometimes show he can throw a deep ball (20+ yards) and so far he hasn't. Like 17to85 said, he needs to show that soon.
Actually, I'm arguing that Marve looks like an inexperienced QB, he's not getting much/any help from his OC and fans expectations are way too high.

Marve isn't going to throw a deep ball unless it's called for him by the OC and it's his first read. There have been very few of them called in the 2 games that Marve has started. It could be that the OC doesn't think he can complete them or that the O line can't give him protection, but it's more likely that's just that's the way MB's offense works.

There's no way for you to know what the reads are in any given play. That's a junk argument.

In other posts you are slamming MB for shoehorning Marve into an offense built for Willy, an offense that was among the league leaders in long passing plays. Which is it?

If the long ball isn't the first read, Marve isn't going to take it. Willy's a better QB and a pocket passer who gets to his 2nd maybe even 3rd read. That's the idea, not that I know what the reads are on any given play.  :rolleyes:

Here's exactly what you typed, indicating your knowledge of the playcalls and what Marve's first read is: "Marve isn't going to throw a deep ball unless it's called for him by the OC and it's his first read. There have been very few of them called in the 2 games that Marve has started."  

FYI, the deepest receiver in a route is almost always the first read because of the time it takes to set to make that throw and get the ball there, even if that receiver is running a clearing route.  If the defense is giving a free deep ball away, a QB will always take it.  Marve was likely progressing through his reads,  he certainly had a good amount of time on the majority of the passing plays, just too spooked to make a tough throw.  He indicated that post-game with CJOB, that he needs to have more confidence in his first read.

I disagree that the deepest receiver is almost always the first read. It certainly wasn't when I played way back in the dark ages. Sometimes the deep receiver is the primary. Sometimes one of the other receivers is the primary. Lots of the time the deep receiver is simply clearing for the guys underneath.  That doesn't make him the primary receiver or the first read.

Time in the pocket doesn't equal progressing through his reads. 

Too spooked to make the tough throw? How do you get that? Marve's got tons of confidence, probably more than he should have. He tried to throw into double coverage and tried to throw one across his body for god's sake.

I didn't hear the CJOB post game show, so I'll take your word for it, but as I've said before, the first read isn't always the deep ball.

I disagree that the deepest receiver is almost always the first read. It certainly wasn't when I played way back in the dark ages. Sometimes the deep receiver is the primary. Sometimes one of the other receivers is the primary. Lots of the time the deep receiver is simply clearing for the guys underneath.  That doesn't make him the primary receiver or the first read.

Time in the pocket doesn't equal progressing through his reads. 

Too spooked to make the tough throw? How do you get that? Marve's got tons of confidence, probably more than he should have. He tried to throw into double coverage and tried to throw one across his body for god's sake.

I didn't hear the CJOB post game show, so I'll take your word for it, but as I've said before, the first read isn't always the deep ball.

Generally the only time the deepest guy in a route, the 2-3 guys that the QB is reading first, not every eligible, is not the first read is if you are running quick game.  The only route the Bombers showed that remotely fit into that category were the 3 curls to the strong-side where Marve simply looked to his right (strong each time they ran it) and fired to the guy who was open.  First time was a 8 yard gain to Gordon, second time was a Calgary TD.  Highly unlikely that they'd run quick game with Marve because he doesn't get the ball out quick and trusting him to make pre-snap reads is just too much to expect from him.  

JBR, it sounds like you broke down Marve's last game a lot ... what was called, who he was looking at, how much time he had, how Calgary defended him with a disciplined pass rush, and so forth -- would love to read a blog post dissecting all that stuff. Bring back 2nd and 10!

(The complete game is on youtube, so you could even embed video links...) :)