Do or Die Detailed Half Time Report...

do or die

I chuckled at the comments regarding Buck Pierce as OC.  Less than 2 years a a running back coach and people think he might be ready for a rather big jump up the ladder.  At that rate we might as well hire a HC that has only a few years under his belt as a coach.  Oh wait...

Agreed.  Howell will take command before Buck if they ever let MB go.

I for one, am completely shocked that a quarterback with one start under his belt came in and did not immediately look like the second coming of Warren Moon.  What we saw out of Marve was exactly what we should have seen, a young guy with potential hving to lead a team far before he's really ready to do that.

One problem....actually a few...

Yes there of course is such a thing as rookie mistakes, but there are also mistakes that you simply should just know better as a quarterback playing professional football. The first pick across his body - Inexcusable regardless of experience. He's not an accurate passer, he can't read the defence, and he's starting to get happy feet in the pocket as well now that he's getting acustomed to playing behind out line.

It's not about looking like the "second coming of Warren Moon", it's about there being something as a passer, not a runner, that you can build off of, or something that flashes that makes you say as a coach "okay, we can work with this", or develop this, something to that effect. You saw it with Reilly, Willy, and Collaros as they were breaking in. You're not seeing it with Robert Marve.

I agree. As a qb, Marve has been told countless times to never throw across his body to the middle of the field as bad things happens when a qb does...yet he did it anyway resulting in an interception. It was a bad decision & one he knew he shouldn't make but he did it anyway. I just didn't see anything in Marve's game to get amped up about as a potential starter down the road & certainly as Willy's backup when he comes back. He can run but his throwing ability isn't anything to get excited about. 

We should trade our first round pick in next year's CFL Draft for a veteran qb who can come in & play. Oh wait....

Maybe Waggoner can throw the ball?
Unbelievable. If you hold the first pick you can trade it for assets or make the pick. No offense to Waggoner but we're really handicapped here. We won't be rebuilding our OL with a second round pick.
If Waggoner is truly a first round talent, I've got no problem with Walters using it this year in the supplemental draft.
So, we grabbed Waggoner & say we finish last or second last. Then have nothing to show for it? We need offensive linemen not linebackers or defensive backs. How does that make us better? It doesn't. Not saying Waggoner isn't a good player but in the big picture with everything we need on offense, I don't believe he was worth a first round pick.
I trust Walters assessment on Waggoner. For all we know he could be our starting MLB in a year or two.

Or not. What do we need right now? What part of the team has been killing it for years? What do we need the most? A future middle linebacker or an offensive lineman that can block? Unless we are extremely lucky as in fluke we'll never find that player in the second round. I mean, hey... it's taken half a decade to get where we are now with the offensive line, why not stretch it out to a decade? 

Nothing says you have to use a bunch of Canadians on your offensive line. We're starting 8 Canadians now, there is no reason that we couldn't use 3 americans on the offensive line. I wish they would chose that option. Our other Canadian players can hold down the fort, but they are stuck in the old timey mindset that you just use Canadians on the offensive line and that's that. When Dave Ritchie was here they had no problems using an american on the interior of the offensive line, wish they'd give it a try now because I think it could really help. 

Our offensive deficiencies are specifically caused by our awful OL play.  But I'm not putting the blame on the OL. We've cycled so many O-Linemen through Winnipeg in recent years, and you can only do that for so long before it's readily apparent, that maybe, just maybe... it's not the players.

I'm personally convinced that our OL's poor play can be attributed to scheme.  The same way Chip Kelly can make an average QB look like a star... a bad OC can make his OL, QB, and entire offense awful.

Bellefeuille's gotta go.  I can't write off O'Shea because he's got a bad OC... but retaining the status quo would be unacceptable.  Bellefeuille is sinking this ship. 

Another poster said "imagine Willy with a different OC."  I'm salivating at the prospect, because Willy won 3 games with Bellefeuille.

We should trade our first round pick in next year's CFL Draft for a veteran qb who can come in & play. Oh wait....

Unbelievable. If you hold the first pick you can trade it for assets or make the pick. No offense to Waggoner but we're really handicapped here. We won't be rebuilding our OL with a second round pick.
If Waggoner is truly a first round talent, I've got no problem with Walters using it this year in the supplemental draft.
So, we grabbed Waggoner & say we finish last or second last. Then have nothing to show for it? We need offensive linemen not linebackers or defensive backs. How does that make us better? It doesn't. Not saying Waggoner isn't a good player but in the big picture with everything we need on offense, I don't believe he was worth a first round pick.
I trust Walters assessment on Waggoner. For all we know he could be our starting MLB in a year or two.

Or not. What do we need right now? What part of the team has been killing it for years? What do we need the most? A future middle linebacker or an offensive lineman that can block? Unless we are extremely lucky as in fluke we'll never find that player in the second round. I mean, hey... it's taken half a decade to get where we are now with the offensive line, why not stretch it out to a decade? 

Nothing says you have to use a bunch of Canadians on your offensive line. We're starting 8 Canadians now, there is no reason that we couldn't use 3 americans on the offensive line. I wish they would chose that option. Our other Canadian players can hold down the fort, but they are stuck in the old timey mindset that you just use Canadians on the offensive line and that's that. When Dave Ritchie was here they had no problems using an american on the interior of the offensive line, wish they'd give it a try now because I think it could really help. 

I absolutely agree & have been saying what you've just said but the mindset is there... 

I absolutely agree & have been saying what you've just said but the mindset is there... 

So if you agree why get so bent out of shape when they take a linebacker with a high pick instead of an OL? Focus your energy on fighting for the ration flexibility to help the OL not on drafting OL high. 

So if you agree why get so bent out of shape when they take a linebacker with a high pick instead of an OL? Focus your energy on fighting for the ration flexibility to help the OL not on drafting OL high. 

I get bent out of shape because the CFL mindset is to build an OL with Canadians. Until that ends we have to keep drafting them. We need help on offense more than defense. The biggest problem for the Bombers is the OL. If we had even just a decent line we'd probably be 6-3 & not 3-6. A lot of fans will be very unhappy draft day when we don't have a first round pick. I just don't agree that it was the right time for the Bombers to have made that move as an organization. 

ISO, If we had passed on Waggoner and next year he started to tear it up with Calgary, I'm guessing that you'd be complaining that the Bombers should have taken him when they had the chance?  Talent is talent is talent.  You need to have 7 Canadians starting,  The best Canadians you can get.  There's nothing in the rules that says 3-4 must be on the O line.  The O Line needs to improve, absolutely, but I'm betting that there will still be O-linemen available next year when we pick.  Not every quality player goes in the 1st round and not every 1st rounder is a guaranteed starter.  I think that if Waggoner starts next year, we are likely way ahead of the curve.

Waggoner has looked good on special teams... He's going to be a very good player for us down the road, he already is on special teams. Honestly, I think our oline isn't as awful as some make it out to be, i think its more the O schemes really...

I go back to MB in Montreal with AC... Als had a very good oline and have for some time, when MB was OC, they gave up the most sacks in the league.. They  fired his ass and the next year with the same oline pretty much, gave up like 26 sacks. No doubt the center and one guard spot needs to be upgraded here but... I think the oline looks worse than they actually are because of the OC. 

So long as you have the requisite number of GOOD starting Canadians, you ought to be able to find import players ot fill in the gaps. It doesn't matter if the Canucks are linemen, linebackers, DBs, receivers or RBs- it all comes down to talent.

Can't build a house without a foundation. A good team builds from the O Line out as the foundation. We don't have it..

So long as you have the requisite number of GOOD starting Canadians, you ought to be able to find import players ot fill in the gaps. It doesn't matter if the Canucks are linemen, linebackers, DBs, receivers or RBs- it all comes down to talent.

Can't build a house without a foundation. A good team builds from the O Line out as the foundation. We don't have it..

Thing is tho, there are tons of blocks out there to build a house out of, you just need to go down to the home depot or whatever to get them and they will send you all the blocks you need in bulk, even some extra. That's not how it works in the canadian draft... last game 2 of those blocks played tho, Goossen and Chungh, Bryant is good also so they have the start of this foundation... but unlike building a house, there is no home depot when it comes to the oline, you have to draft them, you don't have to draft them in round 1 either. 

Honestly, this was walters second draft... he took oline in the first round in both... both look to have some ability to play, I didn't think Goossen was that awful last game and i don't think Chungh has been terrible either but they are still rookies really and with rookies, come mistakes, it takes time. It's rare to find an oline who can step in and dominate right away, it really is. Labatte is the exception not the norm really.

Honestly, you can talk of building a house all you want, but in my opinion... this is more like tearing down the old one and building a new one from scratch, that doesn't happen over night really. it takes time. 

ISO, If we had passed on Waggoner and next year he started to tear it up with Calgary, I'm guessing that you'd be complaining that the Bombers should have taken him when they had the chance?  Talent is talent is talent.  You need to have 7 Canadians starting,  The best Canadians you can get.  There's nothing in the rules that says 3-4 must be on the O line.  The O Line needs to improve, absolutely, but I'm betting that there will still be O-linemen available next year when we pick.  Not every quality player goes in the 1st round and not every 1st rounder is a guaranteed starter.  I think that if Waggoner starts next year, we are likely way ahead of the curve.

Considering that we signed Sam Hurl to a big contract & have Bass & Randle as well on the outside I don't see Waggoner starting at MLB as some have suggested for a long time, if ever. He's a depth player for us right now. That's all he may ever be. As far as some saying here they trust Walters with this pick, what has he done the past 2 seasons to earn that trust? He's 9-18 career as a GM with the Bombers. 

So just out of curiosity, who do you see as the "can't miss - guaranteed starter - guy who will fix all of our o line issues" 2016 draft pick that we're going to miss out on?

So just out of curiosity, who do you see as the "can't miss - guaranteed starter - guy who will fix all of our o line issues" 2016 draft pick that we're going to miss out on?

Can't answer that. All I know is we're going to miss out on a high draft pick which for us at this time is unfortunate. If we were 9-9 or 10-8 it wouldn't bother me as we'd be a good team on the rise .But chances are after seeing the debacle on Saturday with Marve & Brohm, we'll probably end up 4-14 or 5-13. 

Considering that we signed Sam Hurl to a big contract & have Bass & Randle as well on the outside I don't see Waggoner starting at MLB as some have suggested for a long time, if ever. He's a depth player for us right now. That's all he may ever be. As far as some saying here they trust Walters with this pick, what has he done the past 2 seasons to earn that trust? He's 9-18 career as a GM with the Bombers. 

There's nothing saying that Waggoner has to be a MLB.  But, if he won the spot over Hurl, then I would call that upgrading our Canadian talent, which is a good thing, right?  Again, you keep going on about the O line and how we're going to miss out on talent but you don't say who that talent actually is.  Sounds to me like you're complaining for the sake of complaining.  You don't like Walters, fine.  I'm not sold on him either, but I think that Waggoner was a smart call.  Is it guaranteed to work out?  Of course not.  But no pick ever is.

There's nothing saying that Waggoner has to be a MLB.  But, if he won the spot over Hurl, then I would call that upgrading our Canadian talent, which is a good thing, right?  Again, you keep going on about the O line and how we're going to miss out on talent but you don't say who that talent actually is.  Sounds to me like you're complaining for the sake of complaining.  You don't like Walters, fine.  I'm not sold on him either, but I think that Waggoner was a smart call.  Is it guaranteed to work out?  Of course not.  But no pick ever is.

ISO? nooooooo never..... half the time I don't think he even cares what it is as long as he's complaining about somethng. 

We may be the worst team in the CFL come end of season & then no first round pick? That's okay because Waggoner MAY become the starting MLB over Hurl someday who was specifically brought in & paid well to be that MLB? Not happening. Not having (potentially) the first pick of the best player in CIS this season & somehow that's okay? Somehow,I don't see that as a great trade off. 

ISO? nooooooo never..... half the time I don't think he even cares what it is as long as he's complaining about somethng. 

Pot meet kettle. Kettle meet pot. 

We may be the worst team in the CFL come end of season & then no first round pick? That's okay because Waggoner MAY become the starting MLB over Hurl someday who was specifically brought in & paid well to be that MLB? Not happening. Not having (potentially) the first pick of the best player in CIS this season & somehow that's okay? Somehow,I don't see that as a great trade off. 

Yes because a smart GM will always ask himself "Will we be the worst team in the league at years end?" and then make decisions based on that assumption.  Come on man, it's ok to use a little logic.  It helps season the rants nicely.

I think inserting an extra Import on the O-line would have contributed a lot more than replacing JFG with Gordon, who basically added nothing in the last game.

All I'm saying is I don't agree with picking Waggoner as a supplemental pick then having to lose a first round pick the next year in the CFL draft. That's it. Funny how to some questioning the draft strategy of Walters is looked upon as a crime here. Or somehow it's complaining. 

Yes because a smart GM will always ask himself "Will we be the worst team in the league at years end?" and then make decisions based on that assumption.  Come on man, it's ok to use a little logic.  It helps season the rants nicely.

Think he'd have made that choice if he felt we'd have a chance at the first pick in the draft? Walters obviously overrated the team he had. Just like Taman in Saskatchewan.