Penalties

Floyd

The flags have made the game feel longer and slower pace making for a much less exciting experience. It's nearly as bad as having commericials every second play in the NFL. Something has to change or they're going to lose fans (I've seen some people even encouraging others to boycott; I think they're idiots though. The league will just be put in a worse financial situation that way and won't actually accomplish anything). I will obviously continue to watch as much as I can as usual, but I miss the CFL from a few years ago. 

The flags have made the game feel longer and slower pace making for a much less exciting experience. It's nearly as bad as having commericials every second play in the NFL. Something has to change or they're going to lose fans (I've seen some people even encouraging others to boycott; I think they're idiots though. The league will just be put in a worse financial situation that way and won't actually accomplish anything). I will obviously continue to watch as much as I can as usual, but I miss the CFL from a few years ago. 

Football is full of illegal holding and interference that occurs away from the ball that has been taught to players since they were 6.  These entrenched "techniques" have always been illegal but the refs. are now trying to clean up the cheating at the behest of the league. Imo it has to start with the coaching.

It's going to take like a half season minimum to get players, coaches and refs all on same page...

It is what it is.. Changes were needed..

Except they change something every offseason so we get half a season of adjustments every year. Why can't they just leave well enough alone rather than fixing problems that don't exist?

It's going to take like a half season minimum to get players, coaches and refs all on same page...

I feel like 'it is what it is' is kind of a cop out.

Why is it a cop out? Its not a easy fix resolving the penalty problems..

Except they change something every offseason so we get half a season of adjustments every year. Why can't they just leave well enough alone rather than fixing problems that don't exist?

I wonder if the CFL has a long-term plan in mind with all of these rule changes to elevate the excitement of the game for a younger crowd.  If I can equate it to hockey during the Oilers reign it wasn't unusual for scoring to average over 10 goals per game.  Most fans loved it even if purists didn't.  Maybe the CFL brain-trust (oxymoron?) is attempting to create the same free-scoring environment were shootouts end up with scores in the vicinity of 52-48.....Doubt it.

I wonder if the CFL has a long-term plan in mind with all of these rule changes to elevate the excitement of the game for a younger crowd.  If I can equate it to hockey during the Oilers reign it wasn't unusual for scoring to average over 10 goals per game.  Most fans loved it even if purists didn't.  Maybe the CFL brain-trust (oxymoron?) is attempting to create the same free-scoring environment were shootouts end up with scores in the vicinity of 52-48.....Doubt it.

The CFL was doing scoring like that in the late 90's. People stopped watching (in Vancouver & all the teams down East) as the CFL was considered a joke league especially down east. I remember those times 20 years ago. There were 13,000 fans or less in most stadiums, Ottawa folded. The league nearly collapsed. Do we really want to go back to 58-55 games like they were back then? I don't as they aren't credible scores to football fans.

So all they need to do is find the greatest football player in history who is so much better than every other football player ever to change the game drastically? Well that shouldn't be too hard...

So all they need to do is find the greatest football player in history who is so much better than every other football player ever to change the game drastically? Well that shouldn't be too hard...

Misinterpret much?

Hey you brought up the OIlers dynasty. The only thing that changed the way hockey was played was Gretzky making a mockery of the league by being the best ever to play it. So if you want a similar thing to happen in the CFL then all you need is that all time greatest player to show up. 

Hey you brought up the OIlers dynasty. The only thing that changed the way hockey was played was Gretzky making a mockery of the league by being the best ever to play it. So if you want a similar thing to happen in the CFL then all you need is that all time greatest player to show up. 

Not my intention at all.  I'm just trying to understand what the CFL is trying to accomplish with the new rule changes in the long run.  Any theories?

Gretzky was huge but the Oilers did change the game... same way early 70s Flyers did and then LaFleur Cdns did.

If CFL wants a faster, higher scoring game, let your fullback get a free illegal block after the whistle on anyone who hits your running back or receivers... worked for Gretzky and Semenko.

Not my intention at all.  I'm just trying to understand what the CFL is trying to accomplish with the new rule changes in the long run.  Any theories?

Yeah a bunch of busy bodies trying to solve problems that don't exist. They take one year trends and try and fix them with a rule change which is just dumb. I don't think there is a long term strategy, I think the CFL just has too many people who don't think big picture. 

The league has said the number of penalties called has been dropping. In week 1 the average was 38 and after week 4 it was 24. It is still the offside/procedure penalties that lead the way, not the new rule changes.

Well, that's good to hear. Hopefully it continues to go down until the only people to blame are the players and coaching rather than the refs. I still think the refs are bad, but if we go back to complaining about missed flags instead of how many of them there are, I'll be happy.

I still maintain it's not the new rules at all that are the problem, in fact, I rather enjoy the receivers not getting mugged as they run their routes. Take a look, it is still the lowly offsides, procedure and holdings that are still the bane of the flow in the games. And IMO, that's not going to change anytime soon.

Even if they were calling exactly the same number of penalties as they were last year for the things that were penalties last year, they'd still be throwing more flags this year. Every one of the new penalties that are called are over and above the ones that used to be called.  They are now calling unsportsmanlike conduct for miming throwing a flag or tapping your facemask which are also in addition to the flags that used to be called.