Preseason Game 1 Backup QB Drives

Atomic

Statistical look at the individual drives as led by the 3 backup QBs (Numbers don't include Portis' last "drive", which was essentially killing the clock):

Starting point -- Result -- Total drive length

Brian Brohm

W24 -- Punt from W48 -- 24 yds
T32 -- 20 yd FG -- 19 yds
W43 -- 44 yd FG -- 30 yds
55 -- 43 yd Missed FG -- 20 yds

Average drive - 23.25 yards

Average starting point - Winnipeg 50

Robert Marve

W46 -- Punt from W46 -- 0 yds
T47 -- TD -- 47 yds
T37 -- 35 yd Missed FG -- 9 yds
W24 -- Punt from W28 -- 4 yds
W35 -- Punt from W31 -- 4 yds  
T53 -- TD -- 53 yds

Average drive - 19.5 yards

Average starting point - Winnipeg 49

Josh Portis

W21 -- Punt from W21 -- 0 yds
W42 -- TD -- 68 yds
W26 -- Punt from W30 -- 4 yds
W15 -- Punt from W21 -- 6 yds

Average drive - 19.5 yards

Average starting point  - Winnipeg 26

I haven't been a big Brohm fan, but he has been the most consistent thus far. Marve brings a spark, but his injury history and how heavily he depends on his legs make me nervous. Portis didn't look particularly good against Toronto, he will have to put on a show in the final preseason game but even then I'm not sure how he fits into the mix.

Ehh... I'm not a fan of your evaluation because the QBs don't play much of a part in the effectiveness of the running back. I prefer to look at plays in which the QBs are involved (meaning yards-per-attempt amalgamated with yards-per-carry):

Marve: 6.92

Brohm: 5.18

Portis: 5.3

Also, you can't ignore Marve's effectiveness in the red zone.

I haven't been a big Brohm fan, but he has been the most consistent thus far. Marve brings a spark, but his injury history and how heavily he depends on his legs make me nervous. Portis didn't look particularly good against Toronto, he will have to put on a show in the final preseason game but even then I'm not sure how he fits into the mix.

I don't know about that. Brohm was awful in his first preseason game last year, okay in his second one, bad against Edmonton, pretty good against Calgary, average at best in his last game against Toronto. He has always been very inconsistent in practice as well.

Ehh... I'm not a fan of your evaluation because the QBs don't play much of a part in the effectiveness of the running back. I prefer to look at plays in which the QBs are involved (meaning yards-per-attempt amalgamated with yards-per-carry):

First off, this is not an evaluation, merely a statistical breakdown of the offensive drives.  I would advise against putting too much faith in any of these numbers.  There are a lot of factors to consider, such as supporting cast, opposing defence, and playcalling.  I definitely wouldn't evaluate the effectiveness of a QB based on my numbers or yours.  I just thought it would be interesting to look at.

Marve has a place as the 3rd string red zone QB it seems. But brohm and even willy consistently move the sticks. Marve is go big or go home but good in red zone. That seems to be the ideal 3rd stringer right now.

That's not true. Brohm has not been good at moving the sticks. He had one decent game last year in which he was no better than Marve at moving the sticks, but otherwise he's shown nothing.

I think it's like this... Willy and Brohm can run the O how MB has designed it. His O don't really require the QB to run the ball it seems. That's what the RB is for. I think Marve is more of the run first type of QB. He's not a pocket passer like the others. I think if willy got hurt Brohm is the guy that can run the same o. Marve I think is a guy you design a more run based O with. I think a nice option QB really. He's the change of pace guy really and that's great. Hope he sticks and they use him in the redzone more. Maybe even 10 and in instead as really. He can run.

Marve has a place as the 3rd string red zone QB it seems. But brohm and even willy consistently move the sticks. Marve is go big or go home but good in red zone. That seems to be the ideal 3rd stringer right now.

That's not true. Brohm has not been good at moving the sticks. He had one decent game last year in which he was no better than Marve at moving the sticks, but otherwise he's shown nothing.
Marve has shown he can run but perhaps isn't that pocket passer that MB and really the league as a whole seem to like. Hey that's great tho. He's a good option QB change of pace guy. Wonder what happens to Marve when someone actually lays him out after a big run.

I think it's like this... Willy and Brohm can run the O how MB has designed it. His O don't really require the QB to run the ball it seems. That's what the RB is for. I think Marve is more of the run first type of QB. He's not a pocket passer like the others. I think if willy got hurt Brohm is the guy that can run the same o. Marve I think is a guy you design a more run based O with. I think a nice option QB really. He's the change of pace guy really and that's great. Hope he sticks and they use him in the redzone more. Maybe even 10 and in instead as really. He can run.

Actually...MB called the for Marve to run on the play he scored the touchdown. You really have no idea how many more times the play calls for a run, and not necessarily up the middle as a QB sneak.

Actually...MB called the for Marve to run on the play he scored the touchdown. You really have no idea how many more times the play calls for a run, and not necessarily up the middle as a QB sneak.

Marve can say what he wants but not sure that's the case. Willy and Brohm can't run. MB probably calls very little QB run plays in general. It's nice if they did with Marve cuz really. That's his skill set

Marve has earned the chance to be the backup. If he falters in that role, so be it. Let Brohm take over. But at this point, Marve has been the much more effective QB.

Btw, I love how every thread on this board is turning into a Marve discussion thread. For a supposed third-stringer, he sure is getting a lot of attention.

The tough thing is that it's hard to earn it as the 3rd string. You're essentially showcasing your skills in practice and waiting for an injury and maybe the guy in front of you playing ineffectively.

Im not sure Marve is quite there yet (and the team agrees) but I have high hopes for him.

This really means next to nothing!

Thanks, good contribution, the site would die without you.

It's the what, but it's missing the why.  We can probably point the finger at TSN for that.

But it is a nice change of pace from repeatedly reading 6.9 yards per play.  Oh looky, he wrote it again.

First off, this is not an evaluation, merely a statistical breakdown of the offensive drives.  I would advise against putting too much faith in any of these numbers.  There are a lot of factors to consider, such as supporting cast, opposing defence, and playcalling.  I definitely wouldn't evaluate the effectiveness of a QB based on my numbers or yours.  I just thought it would be interesting to look at.

Misleading numbers are misleading, that's all I'm saying.

Imagine that, you're not a fan of an evaluation that basically tears apart your entire bias towards Marve. And this number you came up with? What is the point of that? It honestly means nothing.

Imagine that, you're not a fan of an evaluation that basically tears apart your entire bias towards Marve. And this number you came up with? What is the point of that? It honestly means nothing.

It means that Marve is effective at moving the offense.

Misleading numbers are misleading, that's all I'm saying.

I hope you realize that yours are just as misleading, that's all I'm saying.