Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

7 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Edward Norton's Hulk is canon in the MCU, isn't it?  Didn't Black Widow find him in the same place the character left off in Norton's film?  I might be mis-remembering...

Yeah it's canon. They just recast it cause Norton didn't play well with others. Think they made a reference to Blonsky in agents of shield as well.

8 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

In rewatching Captain America: Winter Soldier I must have missed it before,  but they mention Dr. Strange (Stephen Strange) . I wonder if he makes a cameo appearance in Civil War for a little tire pumping in his own movie coming out

Possibly the end credits scene.  Dr. Strange will be out this November, so I'm sure there will be something to tease him.

So what's everyone's prediction for better box office success, Batman vs Superman, or Civil War?

As much as im a MCU fanboi than DC, and marvel traditionally destroys at the box office, I think BvS is going to do better.  if nothing more than the fact its batman vs superman! and I dont think theres too many people out there not interesting in seeing that.  Cap vs Iron Man will be cool and all but not even close to this level of must see.

I supposed a lot of the box office success tho will dictated by the quality of the movies too, and that's where DC has always fallen way behind marvel

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

11 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

So what's everyone's prediction for better box office success, Batman vs Superman, or Civil War?

As much as im a MCU fanboi than DC, and marvel traditionally destroys at the box office, I think BvS is going to do better.  if nothing more than the fact its batman vs superman! and I dont think theres too many people out there not interesting in seeing that.  Cap vs Iron Man will be cool and all but not even close to this level of must see.

Civil War will probably take in a billion. BvS 500-750m. Worldwide totals.

11 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I supposed a lot of the box office success tho will dictated by the quality of the movies too, and that's where DC has always fallen way behind marvel

Well post-2000 we have this listing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_DC_Comics

So the good...

Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Watchmen, The Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel

And the bad...

Superman Returns, Jonah Hex, Green Lantern

IMHO. Never saw Jonah Hex.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

you could be right, but if BVS gets a good buzz around it in reviews I can see it doing extremely well, the dark knight did pretty well with good reviews and the intrigue of seeing a new (and greatly portrayed) Joker. This very well might just be the right move by DC to steal some thunder, cuz there not really much in the way of novelty that could top the 2 faces of DC squaring off and leading to the introduction of the justice league.  But it might be a 1 off thing with BVS. I honestly dont think an ensuing Justice League movie will do as well as the avengers, especially since the avengers took quite a while to assemble after a bunch of end movie teasers building hype.  The battle between superman and Batman, will likely be the main reason for this movies success

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_Marvel_Comics

IMHO

So the good...

Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Iron Man 3, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers : Age of Ultron, Ant-Man

and the bad...

Incredible Hulk, Punisher: War Zone, Iron Man 2, Thor: Dark World,

Yeah so I like Ang Lee's Hulk more :P

I did not walk the fence I chose either good or bad.

Watchmen the best of the lot?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

8 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_Marvel_Comics

IMHO

So the good...

Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Iron Man 3, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers : Age of Ultron, Ant-Man

and the bad...

Incredible Hulk, Punisher: War Zone, Iron Man 2, Thor: Dark World,

Yeah so I like Ang Lee's Hulk more :P

I did not walk the fence I chose either good or bad.

Watchmen the best of the lot?

Punisher is not part of the MCU just FYI.

Also, Man of Steel is just an ok movie to me.  And as far as Watchmen go, I don't care how close to the comic he made it, that movie was garbage.  I was bored to hell the entire movie.  If I wasn't with other people I would have walked out of the theater.

If you want my list, the only 2 DC movies that I liked was Batman Begins and maybe The Dark Knight (not a huge fan of that movie though).  Nolan's Batman was just not Batman to me.  Batman is a detective, and in Nolan's Batman, it was basically everyone else, especially Lucius, that did all the detective work and sleuthing for him.  Also, I don't mind Heath Ledger as Joker, but that's not the Joker that I remember.  I just prefer the comic book feel to characters rather then what's more "realistic" (and I use that term loosely regarding comic book movies).

As for Marvel, the only movies I didn't really like were Iron Man 3 (which I thought was probably the worst Marvel movie), and Thor: Dark World (which felt a bit boring to me).  I liked all of the rest of them.  Iron Man 2 is probably the only one that's on the fence for me wavering between good and bad.

As for who will make more money between BvS and Civil War?  I personally don't care.  I'm not a Marvel v DC guy.  I just want good movies.  If I had to guess, I'd go with Civil War making more money.  Marvel just has a better track record and the appearance of Spidey might just be the push over the edge they need, plus the Russo Bros are directing, not that we've seen much from them.  BvS, as much as I'm hoping this movie does well, I just have no faith in Snyder's movies.  I can only hope that Affleck helped him out with the script (rumors about that).  Plus Jesse Eisenberg as Luthor just doesn't do it for me with his squeaky whiny voice.  I dunno, we'll see.  I just want them both to be really good.

Edited by Logan007

Heath Ledger's joker was the best Joker ever put to film.

Watchmen was a great film, one of the best films of all time.  Im not a Watchmen comic fan either, had never even heard of them when I saw the movie.  Id didnt get it when watching it in the theatre and finally "understood" it at the end...and caught it on Movie Central and fell in love with it.  But Snyder is way more miss than hit so Im worried about BvS...  There was also talk of re-writes happening during filming which is generally not a great sign...

Unless the trailers have just been really really awful at showcasing the movie, I don't see how Batman vs Superman holds a candle to Avengers 2.5 (Civil War)...

If I was a betting man, I'd say Civil War doubles the take of BvS.....

3 hours ago, Logan007 said:

As for Marvel, the only movies I didn't really like were Iron Man 3 (which I thought was probably the worst Marvel movie), and Thor: Dark World (which felt a bit boring to me).  I liked all of the rest of them.  Iron Man 2 is probably the only one that's on the fence for me wavering between good and bad.

I would agree with this, except to add in the Hulk as well. Didn't like any of them. Heck I even kinda liked the Wolverine in Japan movie.

IM3 was terrible. I remember watching it and ST:ID around the same time and nearly swearing off both franchises.

the problem with IM3 was them soiling the Mandarin name with a drunk/drug addict Ben Kingsley then switch off to Guy Pearce. a big fail on both parts as neither of them had anything to do with Mandarin. But I suppose if you have a bad guy using these multiple rings of power to be an omnipotent force, it kinda would steal some of the appeal to Thanos/Infinity Wars.  So why even have the Mandarin if your not going to do the character even remotely close to who he is,  I can think of a ton of other enemies that would have been a much better option and even have relevance to the bigger picture if Baron Zemo is in the upcoming Captain america movie. 

4 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

the problem with IM3 was them soiling the Mandarin name with a drunk/drug addict Ben Kingsley then switch off to Guy Pearce. a big fail on both parts as neither of them had anything to do with Mandarin. But I suppose if you have a bad guy using these multiple rings of power to be an omnipotent force, it kinda would steal some of the appeal to Thanos/Infinity Wars.  So why even have the Mandarin if your not going to do the character even remotely close to who he is,  I can think of a ton of other enemies that would have been a much better option and even have relevance to the bigger picture if Baron Zemo is in the upcoming Captain america movie. 

I can barely remember the film but I remember feeling like Iron Man had made himself useless (and other superheroes) by creating an Iron Man army. 

19 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I can barely remember the film but I remember feeling like Iron Man had made himself useless (and other superheroes) by creating an Iron Man army. 

that was actually one of the few points worth acknowledging and carrying over in that movie, was Starks obsession with making hundreds of suits.  I mean in IM2 he was trying to upgrade with like Mach-4 editions, but they were different kinda of suits, like a suitcase that turns into a suit. This army tho was something else entirely.  This is why I think he creates anti-avenger suits like the hulk buster shown in the avengers 2.

I watched a cartoon movie with my kid a few years ago that was called Next Avengers: Heroes of tomorrow, and it's the kids of the avengers, but in it Tony makes the "Iron Avengers" which Ultron corrupts and eventually controls

latest?cb=20140103004912

there is comic history behind these iron avengers, but more just using this as a showcase that he's not just about iron man armies, he eventually branches out and starts making weaponized Iron everything

** actually thinking about it now, I recall in IM3 Pepper potts being disgusted Tony made that iron man army, and he blows them up at the end, but obviously he either kept a bunch or made more after the fact (such as the hulk buster) but it has me wondering if that's not where he changes direction with his suit designs. Instead of making an iron man army he starts building specific suits with other super heroes in mind

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

Not sure if this will work here but...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1put4y_5-2014-marvel-one-shot-all-hail-the-king-subtitulos-espanol_shortfilms

Guess not.  Well if you click the link it will bring you to the Marvel One Shot:  All Hail the King.  It tries to fix the what they screwed up in IM:3.  So apparently neither Killian or Trevor were the Mandarin, and the real Mandarin is out there, and is pissed off about someone trying to copy him.  I'm thinking he'll appear as a villain at some point down the line again with the actual 10 rings.

I really wish Favreau would have been able to complete his IM trilogy, I think he would have been a lot more faithful to the comics.  Shane Black is just not the right director for Marvel films.

15 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

tend to agree with you.  these are 2 huge comic icons coming together.. Cap and Iron man, while huge in their own right, are not the flagship characters for the MCU.. Batman and Superman on the other hand..

That was pretty good watch, I'm surprised they got all those actors to reprise their roles for a little skit like that. It would be cool if they continue on with it and see where it goes with the real mandarin and who would be involved, seems there no talks on Iron Man 4

It was just last year that Robert Downey Jr. signed a contract extension with Marvel Studios, confirming him for appearances in both The Avengers: Age of Ultron and the inevitable Avengers 3, but one title that was left out of all the talks was any plans for Iron Man 4. Many took this as a sign that the number of Tony Stark solo films would be ending at three - and today new quotes have arrived that pretty much confirm that speculation. 

"There isn’t one in the pipe. No, there’s no plan for a fourth Iron Man." That was the rather blunt response that Downey Jr. gave to Variety recently when asked about the potential future of the successful comic book franchise. The actor is currently up at the Toronto International Film Festival promoting his new movie The Judge, which is the actor's first dramatic film since 2009's The Soloist.

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

But the suits were amazing. You could cut them in half with a piece of spaghetti, until you put an actual person in them and they all of the sudden they became indestructible.

There was so much to dislike about that movie. From the crappy Mandarin story line, to Stark hiding out in someones barn, to the whole ending battle.

I still liked IM3 better than either Thor and Ermagherdierns of the Galaxy, just because I can't handle "outer space"/"other world" bullshit. I'll take anything that happens on earth vs anything that doesn't....