Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

anyone see Dr Strange yet? I haven't had a chance yet, but the reviews I've read said it's a bit of a mixed bag.... curious what the take is around here

I am hoping to see it this weekend but it might be a couple of weeks for me, so what I have heard is all here say. From what little I have heard, a few big spoilers (some early in the movie) so avoid any online stuff because it is already out there. Have heard some describe it as Marvel’s first horror movie, definitely a Sam Raimi bent to it so his directing style came through. Not positive but I think the Wandavision limited series is recommended if not required viewing before seeing the movie. 75% on Rotten Tomatoes. Will chime in again once I have seen it. 

37 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Not positive but I think the Wandavision limited series is recommended if not required viewing before seeing the movie. 75% on Rotten Tomatoes. Will chime in again once I have seen it. 

Read one review someone said Raimi should have watched the whole thing.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

On 2022-05-09 at 2:14 PM, Noeller said:

anyone see Dr Strange yet? I haven't had a chance yet, but the reviews I've read said it's a bit of a mixed bag.... curious what the take is around here

So actually got out to see it last night, and kind of meh for me. Since Avengers Endgame it feels like they are searching for a new long term arc but nothing has stuck yet. Of everything they have put out since, only Spider-Man Far From Home I found entertaining, and more so for the “high school road trip” stuff more than the villain. No Way Home did not do it for me as the multiverse stuff feels too convoluted. Did not see Eternals and I’m told not to waste my time. Have not watched the streaming series either. And the Venom movies were just dumb to me. So not big expectations for this one. Without giving away plot, I can say that for a “multiverse” story (no spoiler since it’s in the title) the linear plot is easy enough to follow without a whole bunch of jumping between multiple dimensions. And some humerus cameos, but in the end largely forgettable, but again I guess they are trying to set something up down the road. My son who is more of a comic book aficionado did not like it at all. 

As for the “horror movie” aspect, not really but a couple of jump scares, and not too gory. Certainly not an R rating, PG 13 is probably accurate. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

11 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So actually got out to see it last night, and kind of meh for me. Since Avengers Endgame it feels like they are searching for a new long term arc but nothing has stuck yet. Of everything they have put out since, only Spider-Man Far From Home I found entertaining, and more so for the “high school road trip” stuff more than the villain. No Way Home did not do it for me as the multiverse stuff feels too convoluted. Did not see Eternals and I’m told not to waste my time. Have not watched the streaming series either. And the Venom movies were just dumb to me. So not big expectations for this one. Without giving away plot, I can say that for a “multiverse” story (no spoiler since it’s in the title) the linear plot is easy enough to follow without a whole bunch of jumping between multiple dimensions. And some humerus cameos, but in the end largely forgettable, but again I guess they are trying to set something up down the road. My son who is more of a comic book aficionado did not like it at all. 

As for the “horror movie” aspect, not really but a couple of jump scares, and not too gory. Certainly not an R rating, PG 13 is probably accurate. 

Very interesting. I'll watch it for sure, to try and keep up with the damn soap opera of it all, but I won't get my hopes up. Eternals I haven't seen, and haven't got around to Moon Knight yet, but I've seen everything else. I enjoyed Far From Home, Black Widow and really enjoyed No Way Home (Tom Holland is just a perfect Spider Man). The streaming series are all varying levels of good, so far. WandaVision was fantastic, I really enjoyed Hawkeye and Falcon/WS.  Loki and What If...? were a bit too nerdy for me, but I still enjoyed them enough. Shang Chi had moments, but overall just was not a movie for me. The ending and the post-credit scene were probably the most interesting parts of the movie. 

22 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I was the opposite on the Spider-man movies. Far from home dragged on for me, but I loved No way home. As for the multiverse stuff in these movies I believe they are looking to eventually work in the Secret Wars plot from Marvel comics. 

Oh and yeah Eternals is exactly as bad as it looks. I tried watching it a few times and always fell asleep.

Edited by Bigblue204

25 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I was the opposite on the Spider-man movies. Far from home dragged on for me, but I loved No way home. As for the multiverse stuff in these movies I believe they are looking to eventually work in the Secret Wars plot from Marvel comics. 

Oh and yeah Eternals is exactly as bad as it looks. I tried watching it a few times and always fell asleep.

for the uninitiated, give me the Cole's Notes on Secret Wars... 

29 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I was ho hum about SM:NWH, Avatar and Titanic. Too much money I guess. Tobey looked like he just walked off the street. Shave buddy!

I think that was part of the gimmick.... supposed to be an older "haggard" Peter Parker....

We're still in the first phase of the post Endgame timeline. A lot of moving parts that will come together, over time. Just like when they introduced all the Avengers, one by one, they're doing the same here. 

We know that Kang is the big villain now but Galactus is coming. Still need the Fantastic Four before we get there. Will Gorr be defeated permanently? 

I know that the multiverse has long been part of the Marvel Universe. And, frankly, it works fine in comics but, IMO, it's wayyyy too big to try to tackle over a series of 10 to 20 films. It's too confusing for casuals and makes absolutely anything possible. It's almost like a sandbox where nothing matters and no consequences. Why not have 20 Spider-men-women-pigs-etc? I wish we could back to the single timeline. 

31 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

A bunch of good guys and a bunch of bad guys get transported to another dimension/planet/universe (I can't remember where exactly) to fight it out. They get transported there by a being called Beyonder.

Christ sakes...I went to the Wiki page for it and started to read. I went crosseyed about half way down. It's just way way too much...

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Christ sakes...I went to the Wiki page for it and started to read. I went crosseyed about half way down. It's just way way too much...

yeah, keep in mind it won't be a scene for scene adaptation...if I'm even right...marvel hasn't said anything about secret wars coming to film...but it's rumored to be part of the next wave of marvel movies.

One problem is the biggest tease of a villian up to Doctor Strange 2(DS2) was the end of Loki from Disney+. Heck even new-look Wanda in DS2 is a character last seen in WandaVision again Disney+.

If you have not watched those two or Falcon & The Winter Soldier, What If?, Hawkeye, Moon Knight then you're missing bits and pieces but WandaVision might be the only if you only have time for one.