Game 82 - Flames @ Jets

Slater has actually been playing really well in the second half, great on faceoffs - if he would do a one year 1.6 million, I'd keep him.  Can't see a bidding war for Slater...

Would give Copp some time in AHL, maybe he's a mid-season call up.

Frolik,Stafford,Stempniak,Tlusty,Slater

Let's just pretend slater gets 1.6 million for one year, doubt it, but let's just use that number because that's what was said earlier in the thread..

Well that's 1.6 million you can't give to Frolik,Stafford or Stempniak, Personally i think Tlusty is as good as gone, i just don't see him sticking around to play 4th line minutes... 

I'd take slaters 1.6 and give it to any of those other 3 over slater any day of the week. Slater is good at faceoffs? Sure but that's about all he's good at really, people talk about the PK but.. really he's not that great at it, he's just average as our entire PK was just average really and he's an older player, if you have younger guys who are ready, you always take that guy over the over 30 year old 4th liner.. 

Personally, I'd let slater go and i'd take the money he'd get and give it to one of stafford frolik and stempniak, Hell bet you can get stempniak for less than 1/6 and he brings more plus is also a very good penalty killer. 

Copp wouldn't have been signed if they didn't think he was ready. 

Frolik,Stafford,Stempniak,Tlusty,Slater

Let's just pretend slater gets 1.6 million for one year, doubt it, but let's just use that number because that's what was said earlier in the thread..

Well that's 1.6 million you can't give to Frolik,Stafford or Stempniak, Personally i think Tlusty is as good as gone, i just don't see him sticking around to play 4th line minutes... 

I'd take slaters 1.6 and give it to any of those other 3 over slater any day of the week. Slater is good at faceoffs? Sure but that's about all he's good at really, people talk about the PK but.. really he's not that great at it, he's just average as our entire PK was just average really and he's an older player, if you have younger guys who are ready, you always take that guy over the over 30 year old 4th liner.. 

Personally, I'd let slater go and i'd take the money he'd get and give it to one of stafford frolik and stempniak, Hell bet you can get stempniak for less than 1/6 and he brings more plus is also a very good penalty killer. 

Copp wouldn't have been signed if they didn't think he was ready. 

You can't really just take Slater's 1.6M and give to an existing player on the roster as you still have to put a body in Slaters place.

If that replacement happens to be Copp, well his contract is just under $1M, so that only leaves 600k to give to one of those other players.

We will offer guys what we think they are worth and thats that. We wont get into any bidding wars for anybody.

Our attitude will be this is what we think your worth ... they either take it or not and we will move on.

Im pretty impressed with Chevy and i dont think hes going to beg anyone to stay. We will put out fair offers. But overall team first. We wont put out crazy money for one or two guys to stay.

Getting Staff at $4 million per for three years would be okay by me.  Frolik...$3.5 for four years.

Stemp said it came down to Winnipeg and New York when he was a UFA so I cant see why we couldnt re-sign him unless he thinks he will have more offers this summer than last.  In Winnipeg, he is in a good position to play his game, have success etc.  Even as a bottom six guy here, he has the opportunity to play up in the event of injuries.

I definitely think Stemp signs since they pursued him last season and he really fits the system.

Frolik is such a tough decision. His hard play doesn't translate into fancy stats so it makes it hard to justify to spend the big money on him.

But it shouldn't if your a shrewd GM and not a fanboy. A guy like Chevy should be able to weigh the intangibles versus fancy stats and see what players are worth.. To me, Frolik might not light the lamp as often as we would like but he plays one hell of a two way game, very sound defensively and can play on any line IMO. He isn't an everyday 1st liner.. Second liner sure if he steps up and isn't a liability on 3rd or 4ths... His PP and PK are also very good.. I fully expect we see him come out of his shell a bit in playoffs as well as he seems to always be a playoff performer..

Frolik would be a big loss.  Can play anywhere.  He's partially why the Jets were able to overcome injuries because he can play top line minutes without being a liability let alone adding offensive production.

But Im sure his agent looks at the fact he played on the "number one line" and will want top six money.  The Jets will counter with "we're a multi-line team" and in a perfect woprld Frolik is a championship calibre third line RW and offer that sort of money.  By now, the Jets and the agent know what each other want.  I find it difficult to believe, being this close, Frolik wouldnt go to Free Agency.  He'd have to really like it here and not feel the offers would be substantially more elseware.

I think he will go to UFA and take the highest offer.

Think he will go to a crap team for more money?

How much is more money for a guy like him anyway? Youd think around 4ish is what a guy like him is worth. How much more will he get?

Will he go to TO for 4.5? or stay here at 4? Is that money worth all the loosing or all the winning? 

Offer them what our fair value is and what they are worth.