Bombers add Jordan Reaves to neg list

gbill2004

He'd have to show up looking borderline incompetent and completely out of shape to not get a practice roster spot this year.

Or maybe we draft two receivers that we value more and just cut him loose. PR and TC spots are not infinite. If the Bombers feel that he is too long term a project and have other bodies they feel can contribute at his position then they would cut him loose. Without knowing how the rest of the offseason unfolds, how he does in mini-camp (yes there is the distinct possibility that he looks incompetent there), and who else we may need PR spots for, I am at a loss as to how anyone can pencil him in as a PR guarantee. He will have to beat the odds to get a PR spot imo.

Atomic, how could the Bombers possibly know what they have in Reaves? All they truly know right now is that he is athletic. Players are signed and released during the offseason all the time. We will release several prospects, the team had high hopes for, after mini-camp. I'm not sure why people think the Bombers have made some kind of long term commitment to Reaves. I get it that his pedigree has people excited but realistically he is a prospect with extremely limited football experience. There is no tape at all on him. He will be judged at mini-camp. I can guarantee that if he shows to be way too raw of a prospect at mini-camp against our new DB prospects then he will be shown the door. This is where the Bombers will judge him and whether he is a prospect worth keeping around. Right now, imo, he has been signed as an intriguing flyer signing that will get a shot to show what he's got in mini-camp. He is likely not the only player who will be on the bubble to make it out of mini-camp. With his extremely limited football experience, I stand by my statement, that he will do well to make it out of mini-camp.

seeing as he is built like a tank with good size... is Canadian and didnt cost us a thing... id expect him on the PR almost positively unless he shows zero football skills..

Skills are only part of the equation. It takes years to learn the nuances of the game at a professional level. Raw talent might open the door for a player but without the ability to execute those skills precisely you will not last long. Reaves complete lack of football experience has him waaaay behind the 8 ball in his quest for continued employment. Unless this kid is some kind of football prodigy he is years away from getting up to speed at the professional level. He is as raw a prospect as a team could ever find.

He's great PR for the Bombers.  Heck they held a presser just to show him off even though he's not played football in years.  He's big, strong, Canadian and he has the right name.  Mike's right.  He'll be on the PR this year unless he stinks the joint out in TC or makes the team as a special teams guy.

He'd have to show up looking borderline incompetent and completely out of shape to not get a practice roster spot this year.

Or maybe we draft two receivers that we value more and just cut him loose. PR and TC spots are not infinite. If the Bombers feel that he is too long term a project and have other bodies they feel can contribute at his position then they would cut him loose. Without knowing how the rest of the offseason unfolds, how he does in mini-camp (yes there is the distinct possibility that he looks incompetent there), and who else we may need PR spots for, I am at a loss as to how anyone can pencil him in as a PR guarantee. He will have to beat the odds to get a PR spot imo.

They would be making a mistake to cut him this year IMO. It's not often you find an CND with his size playing a skill position. Even if he is useless at first, keeping him on as a project is almost guaranteed. 

Atomic, how could the Bombers possibly know what they have in Reaves? All they truly know right now is that he is athletic. Players are signed and released during the offseason all the time. We will release several prospects, the team had high hopes for, after mini-camp. I'm not sure why people think the Bombers have made some kind of long term commitment to Reaves. I get it that his pedigree has people excited but realistically he is a prospect with extremely limited football experience. There is no tape at all on him. He will be judged at mini-camp. I can guarantee that if he shows to be way too raw of a prospect at mini-camp against our new DB prospects then he will be shown the door. This is where the Bombers will judge him and whether he is a prospect worth keeping around. Right now, imo, he has been signed as an intriguing flyer signing that will get a shot to show what he's got in mini-camp. He is likely not the only player who will be on the bubble to make it out of mini-camp. With his extremely limited football experience, I stand by my statement, that he will do well to make it out of mini-camp.

seeing as he is built like a tank with good size... is Canadian and didnt cost us a thing... id expect him on the PR almost positively unless he shows zero football skills..

Skills are only part of the equation. It takes years to learn the nuances of the game at a professional level. Raw talent might open the door for a player but without the ability to execute those skills precisely you will not last long. Reaves complete lack of football experience has him waaaay behind the 8 ball in his quest for continued employment. Unless this kid is some kind of football prodigy he is years away from getting up to speed at the professional level. He is as raw a prospect as a team could ever find.

Of course he's raw.  What's the problem with that?  All parties are going into this with their eyes open.  He's a project and he knows it, and the Bombers know it.  Scott McHenry isn't too far away from challenging Lui Pasaglia's record for games played, Justin Sorenson will probably get picked up three more times once Edmonton parts ways with him, and James Green isn't even on the back 9 of his career yet.  Having the right passport matters in the CFL.  That's just the way it is.

And yes, the odds are long, and he's probably spend the full season on the PR just for the team to decide if he comes back to compete next year, but the potential upside is way higher than the downside.

And considering he also worked out for Edmonton, the Bombers putting him on their neg list prior to signing him makes me think he showed enough in his workout that the Bombers felt they wouldn't be the only team interested in him.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a stupid question but I'll fire anyways and everyone is welcome to answer (or rant)  :D

Would it be easier for Jordan Greaves to learn the RB position than WR position?

for the following reasons...

- that's the position he played the last time he played football

- with his physicality/athleticism he can be helpful in blocking and/or gaining hard 1-3 yarders.

- pigskin will be handed to him most of the time except on occasional short-medium pass instead of long pass if he's on the wideout

I know nothing :D  so may be people can give me light on this one. Thanks.

This is a stupid question but I'll fire anyways and everyone is welcome to answer (or rant)  :D

Would it be easier for Jordan Greaves to learn the RB position than WR position?

- with his physicality/athleticism he can be helpful in blocking and/or gaining hard 1-3 yarders.

- pigskin will be handed to him most of the time except on occasional short-medium pass instead of long pass if he's on the wideout

His height would make this tough. Pad level has to be low playing RB especially in the box, very difficult to get the body to do this if you have not played  a lot of football

Running back would actually have more to learn technique wise, instinct wise and at the pro level...and even NCAA level there are a lot more things that need to just be second nature and don't require a lot of thinking as game is too fast and complex to not have been playing there consistently for a long period of time.

He be best suited as the boundary wide out one on one and stretching a defence and or going down field and boxing out a DB (ala Basketball) and winning the jump ball battles.

That or coming off the edge as a modified slot/TE where he doesn't need to be a polished route runner initially but a guy who can get the tough yards in traffic 

Running back would actually have more to learn technique wise, instinct wise and at the pro level...and even NCAA level there are a lot more things that need to just be second nature and don't require a lot of thinking as game is too fast and complex to not have been playing there consistently for a long period of time.

He be best suited as the boundary wide out one on one and stretching a defence and or going down field and boxing out a DB (ala Basketball) and winning the jump ball battles.

That or coming off the edge as a modified slot/TE where he doesn't need to be a polished route runner initially but a guy who can get the tough yards in traffic 

If he ever gets used, that's my guess.  Just get 10 yards or so downfield between the hashes and win the battle with his size.

And he'll still need to either wait for an injury or two and/or show he has value on special teams before an opportunity like that will be given to him.  Pure project player.

If he ever gets used, that's my guess.  Just get 10 yards or so downfield between the hashes and win the battle with his size.

And he'll still need to either wait for an injury or two and/or show he has value on special teams before an opportunity like that will be given to him.  Pure project player.

And his mom will be happy to just get him out of the house.

Greaves?!