New stadium for the Stamps?

gbill2004

Flames want the land donated. Cue the political rhetoric from the politicians. Nenshi already said he's against giving away land at the price they could get if they sell it. That's our friggin' Mayor. If the Flames come in & say they'll pay for the development & they want the land will this go up in smoke?

I've been told that the stadium is 40,000 permanent seats & may have a retractable roof while the arena will be 20-21,000 seats. The Flames also want to build a fieldhouse at the site for the benefit of amateur sports in the city. Like I said, I've been told that. I have no idea how accurate that is. 

If the entire thing is privately funded (and no government has the stomach to spend on sports facilities in the current climate) then Calgary would be pretty stupid IMO to not give them the land. I am a big believer that top notch entertainment facilities are beneficial to a community. Whether they're money makers for the city or not I think it's a good thing for a city to have and well worth skipping the sale of some land. 

If the entire thing is privately funded (and no government has the stomach to spend on sports facilities in the current climate) then Calgary would be pretty stupid IMO to not give them the land. I am a big believer that top notch entertainment facilities are beneficial to a community. Whether they're money makers for the city or not I think it's a good thing for a city to have and well worth skipping the sale of some land. 

I agree.  An NHL franchise is certainly a revenue generator for government.  The CFL much less so just due to volume of games and taxation.  But my argument when people didnt want the government to help build IGF was two-fold: 1) the team was not privately owned so unfortunately, it fell to the public to finance the new stadium 2) a new stadium was a cost of doing business and if there was not a willingness to get IGF done, then fold the team forever, which Im sure no one wanted.  Sure, you might never make back $200 million, but thats the cost.  When I sell my Jeep, I will never make back the money I spent on it, but if I want a Jeep, thats the price.

As we are seeing in a very small sample size with IGF is that a new Stadium *can* be a profit generator even factoring in loan payments.

Flames want the land donated. Cue the political rhetoric from the politicians. Nenshi already said he's against giving away land at the price they could get if they sell it. That's our friggin' Mayor. If the Flames come in & say they'll pay for the development & they want the land will this go up in smoke?

Naheed's an old school chum so I don't want to put him down, but I hope he can walk the walk as good as he talks the talk here. He claims to be a big Stamps fan. It's not just about being a Stamps fan, it's about supporting your local sports teams for the good of the entire community. The Stamps could use a new stadium, so it's time for the politicians to step up and get it done. I hope he does the right thing here, and instead of playing politics, just gets these facilities built.

mayors.jpg?w=620

1203stampsrally301.jpg?w=925

I've been told that the stadium is 40,000 permanent seats & may have a retractable roof while the arena will be 20-21,000 seats. The Flames also want to build a fieldhouse at the site for the benefit of amateur sports in the city. Like I said, I've been told that. I have no idea how accurate that is. 

I thought franchises had learnt by now that building rinks that size was stupid.

I thought franchises had learnt by now that building rinks that size was stupid.

That raised my eyebrows too.  The 40,000 seat Stadium also raised my eyebrows.  How much do the Stamps draw?  I guess Calgary likely draws bigger events also.  40,000 permanent seats might make it expandable to 50,000+ for grey Cup which would be cool.

Calgary is a big city though so maybe their market can support a 21,000 seat arena without suffering from too much supply versus demand.  If you think about it, with 8000 people on the Jets wait list, assuming each person bought two tickets, we could have sold 29,000 season tickets (I realise some would be mini packs etc but some would also buy more than two).

Ya, i doubt u can see the puck from 18-21k height

That raised my eyebrows too.  The 40,000 seat Stadium also raised my eyebrows.  How much do the Stamps draw?  I guess Calgary likely draws bigger events also.  40,000 permanent seats might make it expandable to 50,000+ for grey Cup which would be cool.

Calgary is a big city though so maybe their market can support a 21,000 seat arena without suffering from too much supply versus demand.  If you think about it, with 8000 people on the Jets wait list, assuming each person bought two tickets, we could have sold 29,000 season tickets (I realise some would be mini packs etc but some would also buy more than two).

Calgary fans are pretty bandwagon. If the Flames are doing well they'll sell out, if they're not tickets will be easy to get. Lot of corporate ticket holders too. Calgary is a lot like Toronto in more respects than people care to admit. As for the Stamps I am really not sure what the deal there is. I think it's sort of a big league vs. minor league crappy attitude. 

Hear! Hear!!

Calgary fans are pretty bandwagon. If the Flames are doing well they'll sell out, if they're not tickets will be easy to get. Lot of corporate ticket holders too. Calgary is a lot like Toronto in more respects than people care to admit. As for the Stamps I am really not sure what the deal there is. I think it's sort of a big league vs. minor league crappy attitude. 

With the Flames there'll be a lot of cross marketing with tickets. Especially in corporate Calgary. With a new building they'd easily sell out initially. I could see 35.000 average maybe a bit more once the thrill of a new building wanes with football fans. Until the team tanks. 

Ya, i doubt u can see the puck from 18-21k height

Doesn't Montreal have a massive arena that people can see just fine in, from any place...?

One of the worst live sports experiences of my life was watching a fLames game from up there....

Ever sit in the $5 McDonald's section in the old arena? I would watch Dale Hawerchuk go across the blue line on a breakaway but would have to wait for the roar of the crowd to know if he scored, as you couldn't see the visitor end of the ice from up there.

One of the worst live sports experiences of my life was watching a fLames game from up there....

Ever sit in the $5 McDonald's section in the old arena? I would watch Dale Hawerchuk go across the blue line on a breakaway but would have to wait for the roar of the crowd to know if he scored, as you couldn't see the visitor end of the ice from up there.

My first concert experience was Our Lady Peace with Everclear at the old Arena, and it was atrocious as we were way up in those same nosebleeds and behind a pillar. Couldn't see anything, hardly. That old barn had some ATROCIOUS sight lines...