New stadium for the Stamps?

gbill2004

I seem to remember there being TVs in the upper deck of the old Winnipeg Arena to allow people to see what was happening in blind spots with the poor site lines.  And this was before big screen TVs, these were like old style square TVs.

I seem to remember there being TVs in the upper deck of the old Winnipeg Arena to allow people to see what was happening in blind spots with the poor site lines.  And this was before big screen TVs, these were like old style square TVs.

yeah there were TV's - which just made you think - Why did I pay to get in here if I have to watch half the game on TV anyway?

The problem with the old arena was that it was never built to be a double-decker, and yet the Jets needed a minimum sized arena to get into the NHL, so adding the second tier was just a solution that solved nothing.

My first concert there was Def Leppard in 1988 - but at least we were on the lower level so got to see the entire show. They even incorporated the picture of the Queen (made sense as they are a British band) into their laser show so that was cool. Interestingly enough, it was during their song "Photograph".

The players are like ants at the top of the 300 level at the Saddledome. 

One of the worst live sports experiences of my life was watching a fLames game from up there....

Feels like you're in a closet, right? I thought watching a Jets 1.0 game from the upper deck at the old Arena was bad. Sitting high up in the 300's at the Saddledome is right up there with that. 

They need one.  McMahon is outdated. Calgary deserves better.

No more benches!

Well that's debatable, but that stadium does need to be replaced :P

People are starting to stay away. Fans see the new stadiums in Wpg & Regina & wonder why we don't have a new one here. No one likes McMahon Stadium anymore. It's 55 years old & way past its prime. 

yeah there were TV's - which just made you think - Why did I pay to get in here if I have to watch half the game on TV anyway?

The problem with the old arena was that it was never built to be a double-decker, and yet the Jets needed a minimum sized arena to get into the NHL, so adding the second tier was just a solution that solved nothing.

My first concert there was Def Leppard in 1988 - but at least we were on the lower level so got to see the entire show. They even incorporated the picture of the Queen (made sense as they are a British band) into their laser show so that was cool. Interestingly enough, it was during their song "Photograph".

I bought Jets season tickets in 1979. We were in the last row of the upper deck on the east side. Then they closed the first row of each upper deck & we were moved to the concourse on plastic red chairs. I couldn't see half the ice so I spent 2 entire seasons watching the games on closed circuit tv on 12 inch screens. It absolutely sucked. I complained to the Jets but their response was "Pfffft. Our hands are tied." They offered to move us to the end zones & I was sitting near center ice & said no, In Year 3 after a dreadful second NHL season where I sat on an uncomfortable plastic chair for 41 home games, not being able to see the ice surface & suffering thru a 9 win season I gave up my season tickets. 

I was a Jet 1.0 season ticket holder from '73 on.  The old barn actually had good site lines prior to the upper decks getting installed.  Once they put in the 2nd level, many quirks and obstructions occurred.

I was a Jet 1.0 season ticket holder from '73 on.  The old barn actually had good site lines prior to the upper decks getting installed.  Once they put in the 2nd level, many quirks and obstructions occurred.

Back in the day the old Arena was maybe the third largest hockey arena in Canada. yeah, the city paid $5 million to get that expansion done from 10,037 seats to 15,200. Did it in 5 months & lo & behold there were construction issues. Like the upper decks being inspected & deemed unsafe just before the 79-80 NHL season started so the first row in each deck were taken out to lighten the stress load as there were concerns the two decks could collapse. Did the arena expansion too fast & on the cheap. Adding 5,000 seats in five months, having to tear the roof off the building & trying to save money. All too familiar tune...

I sat in the $9 Seven-Eleven seats as a kid in the north endzone ski slope seats.  Those ranged anywhere from rows 27 all the way up to row 43 - the final row.  Actually not a bad view from up there and you can see the entire ice.

Not all views in the upper deck were bad.  Back in the early 90s when Perth's took over as corporate sponsor who offered the discounted tickets, we often sat in rows 6 - 8 between the blueline and the face off circle.  Since the upper deck hung over a good portion of lower bowl, you were actually close to the ice.  Saw many highlights from the 1992-93 season up there including Teemu's record-breaking goal against Quebec and rookie record-breaking assist against the Laffs.

Sport Chek in Calgary offers tickets I think for $40 to a Flames game. Anything like that in Winnipeg?

Every game in Winnipeg is sold out with season ticket holders with the exception of whatever they decided to hold back.

Cheapest seat is around $80 I believe. That is the season ticket bundle price.

Sport Chek in Calgary offers tickets I think for $40 to a Flames game. Anything like that in Winnipeg?

Every game in Winnipeg is sold out with season ticket holders with the exception of whatever they decided to hold back.

I've purchased Jets tickets on Ticketmaster this season for $60 each.

Is that the same seats other people sell through seat exchange or are those part of the limited seats they open up each game for non season tickets?

Is that the same seats other people sell through seat exchange or are those part of the limited seats they open up each game for non season tickets?
Both, except Seat Exchange has an additional fee of I believe $7 per ticket.

So no corporate sponsor who buys a block of tickets & sells at their retail outlets. Too bad. I guess that is the downside to a 15,000 seat arena as every ticket needs to be sold. If we had an arena that was say, 17 to 18,000 there'd be more wiggle room for companies to do that. 

So no corporate sponsor who buys a block of tickets & sells at their retail outlets. Too bad. I guess that is the downside to a 15,000 seat arena as every ticket needs to be sold. If we had an arena that was say, 17 to 18,000 there'd be more wiggle room for companies to do that. 

Probably right, though I suspect with the popularity of the team coming back that still wouldn't have been the case for the first few years, and they could have pulled in full value for those tickets.

If you follow the Minnesota timeline, I believe it was 10 years after the Wild came back that they really stopped selling out the building on a consistent basis and really had to push to have a competitive team to sellout.  

So who knows, in another 5 years, if the team is still in the bottom half of the team, there may be less demand and there may be promos with sponsors.

We'll never see the Jet Packs again. Where fans could pick up to 20 home games to attend. I remember they had 10 & 20 game Jet Packs for sale. And I think first choice on playoff tickets as well same seats.

I have a 1/2 season package to the Jets I got in their first year back. The seat owners alternate between getting the home opener and first right of refusal for playoff tickets. I don't believe they've been discontinued?

haha...indeed. That stadium is pretty old and crappy. Those top row benches for the 09 GC reminded me of the old Canad benches...instant ass freeze...

I went to the 2000 Grey Cup in Calgary - sat on the temporary steel benches in the endzone - that's the coldest I've ever been in my life! Never doing that again.

No more benches!

haha...indeed. That stadium is pretty old and crappy. Those top row benches for the 09 GC reminded me of the old Canad benches...instant ass freeze...

It wasn't even that cold in 09. You should have tried sitting on them when they did the outdoor hockey game there... now THAT was some serious ass freeze even with the snow pants and a sleeping bag to sit on. 

No more benches!

It wasn't even that cold in 09. You should have tried sitting on them when they did the outdoor hockey game there... now THAT was some serious ass freeze even with the snow pants and a sleeping bag to sit on.

I didn't mean that the 09 GC was cold on the ass, that was a beautiful day...just that those benches "reminded" me of the old Canad benches and how cold my arse used to get sitting on them.

We'll never see the Jet Packs again. Where fans could pick up to 20 home games to attend. I remember they had 10 & 20 game Jet Packs for sale. And I think first choice on playoff tickets as well same seats.

I have a 1/2 season package to the Jets I got in their first year back. The seat owners alternate between getting the home opener and first right of refusal for playoff tickets. I don't believe they've been discontinued?

Jet Packs were like 10, 15 & 20 games. You basically picked the games you wanted to see.That's because everybody hated the Arena & people stayed away so the Jets marketed the team that way. It was the worst building in the NHL at the time. Only 7,000 to 8,000 season tickets & average crowds of 12-13,000.

Jet Packs were like 10, 15 & 20 games. You basically picked the games you wanted to see.That's because everybody hated the Arena & people stayed away so the Jets marketed the team that way. It was the worst building in the NHL at the time. Only 7,000 to 8,000 season tickets & average crowds of 12-13,000.

and you could get game day tickets at 7-11. Think safeway had them at one time also.

and you could get game day tickets at 7-11. Think safeway had them at one time also.

Oh, how the world has changed.