Avengers: Age of Ultron - Trailer 3

Logan007

See I liked the goofiness. A wise cracking robot is a hell of a lot more scary in my mind than the cold emotionless single minded robot. 

Seemed to me that they weren't trying to make him a cold, emotionless killing machine for this movie. They were really trying hard to blur the lines between Good Guy/Bad Guy, and they made Ultron a character that really believed he was the good guy in all of this and made you question whether or not he was right. 

There were points of humour that missed for me too.  Overall, people laughed and the widest audience will think it's hilarious.  Those of us a bit more discerning in our movie critiques will cringe.  There is a joke in the opening scenes that was awful.  RDJ has a habit of acting a certain way in pretty much every film he does, a sort of extension of his real character I guess, but there are times when it grates on me.  I suppose maybe that's intentional with the character of Tony Stark.

I also felt like they took some major leaps to move the story forward.  I didnt read the story in the comics so maybe some diehards understand it better.  But a lot of the stuff behind Loki's scepter and the development of Ultron etc...it seemed like about 20 seconds of mumbo jumbo (or technobabble as Trekkies would call it) and everyone just accepted what was happening.  Definitely have to suspend your disbelief.

Spader as Ultron was good and bad.  Good in that he's a terrific voice actor though, like RDJ, he is James Spader in everything he does.  Ultron being sarcastic was a miss for me too in that I suppose an AI life form could be that way but its not playing to the most obvious outcome.  The bad part for me was simply that I always saw Spader's face in my mind when I heard the voice.

I also felt like the inclusion of The Vision was just to get fanboys' tongues wagging.  They've managed to keep The Avengers pretty grounded so far, even making Thor seem logically acceptable.  I dont really want to see them get to "out there".  Even if their villains are out there, alients etc, what will make it accessible for the viewer is looking through the eyes of the heroes...but only if they maintain some "groundness" if that makes sense.

When we left the theatre, my buddy who is a Trekkie like me said "you know, they were so worried about trying to make Star Trek accessible to "new fans" but man, you really need to follow the Marvel movies to understand them".  And it's true.  Im glad though.  Nothing wrong with trying to make intelligent films and a connected universe.   I even liked Guardians of the Galaxy and am looking forward to them trying to ease those characters into the broader Avengers-ish universe.

There were points of humour that missed for me too.  Overall, people laughed and the widest audience will think it's hilarious.  Those of us a bit more discerning in our movie critiques will cringe.  There is a joke in the opening scenes that was awful.  RDJ has a habit of acting a certain way in pretty much every film he does, a sort of extension of his real character I guess, but there are times when it grates on me.  I suppose maybe that's intentional with the character of Tony Stark.

I also felt like they took some major leaps to move the story forward.  I didnt read the story in the comics so maybe some diehards understand it better.  But a lot of the stuff behind Loki's scepter and the development of Ultron etc...it seemed like about 20 seconds of mumbo jumbo (or technobabble as Trekkies would call it) and everyone just accepted what was happening.  Definitely have to suspend your disbelief.

Spader as Ultron was good and bad.  Good in that he's a terrific voice actor though, like RDJ, he is James Spader in everything he does.  Ultron being sarcastic was a miss for me too in that I suppose an AI life form could be that way but its not playing to the most obvious outcome.  The bad part for me was simply that I always saw Spader's face in my mind when I heard the voice.

I also felt like the inclusion of The Vision was just to get fanboys' tongues wagging.  They've managed to keep The Avengers pretty grounded so far, even making Thor seem logically acceptable.  I dont really want to see them get to "out there".  Even if their villains are out there, alients etc, what will make it accessible for the viewer is looking through the eyes of the heroes...but only if they maintain some "groundness" if that makes sense.

When we left the theatre, my buddy who is a Trekkie like me said "you know, they were so worried about trying to make Star Trek accessible to "new fans" but man, you really need to follow the Marvel movies to understand them".  And it's true.  Im glad though.  Nothing wrong with trying to make intelligent films and a connected universe.   I even liked Guardians of the Galaxy and am looking forward to them trying to ease those characters into the broader Avengers-ish universe.

This, 100%, is something that's very important for me. I'm in NO WAY a comic book nerd, and have a really hard time with anything "out there" that requires any kind of nerd imagination. All the stuff in the Thor movies is not for me, and Guardians of the Galaxy was really not for me. I love Captain America because it's grounded...it's reality, in a lot of ways. The biggest way AoU slipped for me was being a little too fantasy-sci fi-nerdy....

This is my real problem with the movie. They could really have used a much longer running time in the movie because they really did move things along too fast. Could have really used some more time developing certain aspects of the film. Particularly the relationship between Tony Stark and Ultron. Particularly since Ultron seemed to have so much of Starks personality in him and how personal it was between them. They really fell into the trap of having to tell rather than show because there was too much other stuff to cram into the movie. 

Very good points.

Im not into fantasy at all (hate Lord of the Rings etc though I like Game of Thrones).  I did like GotG but only just saw it recently because I assumed I wouldnt like it.  I think the reason I liked it was because of the narrative of the human being taken as a kid.  That humanized it to me.  So the ridiculous things that happened were happening to a human.  And they managed to provide enough depth to a walking tree and a racoon to make them interesting. 

But I dont like goofy humour in the Avengers.  The first one was better for that.  This one tried to squeeze too much forced jokes.  It didnt need it.  The best humour happens organically.  The actors all have a lot of chemistry.  Ill point to the scene where they are all trying to lift Thor's hammer.  Great scene.  Some directors would have left that on the cutting room floor to save time.  But it was a wonderful scene in showing the closeness of the group and humour that flowed organically.  Hemsworth in particular is very good at acting naturally and injecting humour.  Watch his face when Captain America tries to lift his hammer.

As I said earlier, I agree it moved fast.  Too fast.  Before you even realise it, ultron is there and its like...WTF, when did this happen.  But just when I was ready to get bored by all the action, they slowed it down.  It was neccessary and it worked well (those of you who have seen it know what I am talking about). 

I could have done without the twins too.  Too many characters starting to bog down the films in my opinion.  As cool as The Vision was in the comics, I have little time for him here to be honest.

Also, the Hulkbuster armor (not a spoiler as Im sure we've all seen the trailers) seemed to exist just to give us that fight scene.

Also, the Hulkbuster armor (not a spoiler as Im sure we've all seen the trailers) seemed to exist just to give us that fight scene.

Well Stark did mention it after the first action scene though about how calming the Hulk down worked and he didn't need the other option. You think a guy like that who is obsessed with protecting the world from whatever threat wouldn't have something in his back pocket in case he needed to stop the hulk should be start rampaging? Again it's something that they told rather than showed because of the time constraints but it fits perfectly with the direction they've taken Ronys character throughout all these movies. 

For sure, they did foreshadow it though in a confusing way.  But I mean it was like they went down a check list of things the movie needed Iron man vs Hulk was one of them.  My buddy also said "it seems these films are always the same.  They want to fight each other, then realise they are stronger together." 

I would be willing to believe that marvel anddisney rushed avengers 2 then they originally wanted, due to some excitement of dc comics obvious justice league introduction, as well as getting on with the infinity stone saga. Ant man created ultron, not tony stark in the comics, and Ant man has yet to be released, probably caused some writting issues so they just tried to speedball it n hope people would be satisfied with brief but rather weak premise to ultrons creation. Ant man isca vital part of the avengers, even if hes not as popular as the current cast

I loved Vision.  Vision is one of my favorite characters, so I like what he did with him.

My issue, like some of you, was the speed of the movie.  Felt too rushed as I said before.  And yes, the one second they're making AI, the next Ultron is alive and well was like...WHAT!?  I was hoping for something more.  What I would have liked to see was Tony creating an AI from work that, say, Hank Pym had started working on years ago but stopped because he saw what was happening.  And Tony being Tony, thought he could pull it off cause he's just like that so took that program and made AI with it, using the infinity stone to create Ultron (this would have tied Antman into the Avengers).  Also, they needed Ultron to start off good and slowly start to turn seeing how he thinks things should be.  Something like that anyway.

I liked the twins.  They needed to be introduced in order to start the new Avengers team.  But yeah, that part was my only real beef with the film.  SPOILERS!!!  That and killing off Strucker.  The other death needed to happen, but Strucker is a major villain.  I can't believe they just offed him like that.  Although someone did mention in the film "well if that is real..." so maybe it was just a faked death.  Just speculation.

Other then those couple of things, I liked the movie.

If you guys don't like the fantastical part of Marvel, you won't like Dr. Strange when that movie comes out seeing as how he wields magic.

I loved Vision.  Vision is one of my favorite characters, so I like what he did with him.

My issue, like some of you, was the speed of the movie.  Felt too rushed as I said before.  And yes, the one second they're making AI, the next Ultron is alive and well was like...WHAT!?  I was hoping for something more.  What I would have liked to see was Tony creating an AI from work that, say, Hank Pym had started working on years ago but stopped because he saw what was happening.  And Tony being Tony, thought he could pull it off cause he's just like that so took that program and made AI with it, using the infinity stone to create Ultron (this would have tied Antman into the Avengers).  Also, they needed Ultron to start off good and slowly start to turn seeing how he thinks things should be.  Something like that anyway.

I liked the twins.  They needed to be introduced in order to start the new Avengers team.  But yeah, that part was my only real beef with the film.  SPOILERS!!!  That and killing off Strucker.  The other death needed to happen, but Strucker is a major villain.  I can't believe they just offed him like that.  Although someone did mention in the film "well if that is real..." so maybe it was just a faked death.  Just speculation.

Other then those couple of things, I liked the movie.

If you guys don't like the fantastical part of Marvel, you won't like Dr. Strange when that movie comes out seeing as how he wields magic.

I liked Witch.  She's a great actress. 

I also like your idea.  They should have had Michael Douglas make a cameo in this film, warning off Tony or something.  I dont know how the comic went (or how Ant Man will go) but perhaps the government seizing Hank's prior work and giving it to Tony so Hank appears to warn Tony not to do it but there's nothing he can do.  Might dove tail into Ant-Man and Hank bringing back another of his old projects (if thats the direction it goes) plus foreshadowing Tony's relationship with the government.

The other thought I had was to have the AI that became Ultron actually be Jarvis but I realise that changes the comic storyline a lot.  But at least we'd have an emotional connection to Jarvis and understand the relationship between him (as Ultron) and Tony.

I would be willing to believe that marvel anddisney rushed avengers 2 then they originally wanted, due to some excitement of dc comics obvious justice league introduction, as well as getting on with the infinity stone saga. Ant man created ultron, not tony stark in the comics, and Ant man has yet to be released, probably caused some writting issues so they just tried to speedball it n hope people would be satisfied with brief but rather weak premise to ultrons creation. Ant man isca vital part of the avengers, even if hes not as popular as the current cast

The didn't rush the movie out, Marvel has the timing of their films planned out years in advance. As for Stark vs. Pym creating Ultron I don't think that's a big deal. Sure it might anger the comic book purists, but in the cinematic universe Tony Stark is the resident mad scientist not Hank Pym so it's not a big deal. It would have been cool to do what Logan alluded to and have Tony tinker with something Pym started back in the day since he's older but it's not something that was really needed. 

Just have to accept that the movies are different than the books and ant man isn't a big deal in the movies at this point. It's very Tony Stark focussed in the movies, and to be more specific Robert Downey Jr. is so popular in his portrayal as Tony Stark and really did kick off this whole enterprise he rightly is the guy who is front and centre of the whole thing. 

I got no issue with the tony stark lead start button pusher, but it really wasnt his work and they made it more of a hydra/tesseract involved creation that he n banner tweak. I dont expect indentical story lines to comics but ultron and ant mans disregard for his well being shrinking and growing were huge parts of hanks character depth n his conflict , internal turmoil n ultimately resolve

Spoilers.

I still have trouble with Stark and Banner creating Ultron in secret the way they did. I know they tried to tell a story, but I just didn't buy it. These two were so against the secrets in the first movie that this just didn't ring true for me.

Language was funny. Thor's hammer was funny, especially when Cap was trying. I'm still not quite sure how Vision came to be and that seemed rushed as well as Ultron.

Liked it. Not as much as the first but 8'ish.