Bob Mckenzie on Evander Kane

I dont like how some are framing this as "bullying".  We dont know for sure everything that happened but firstly Id like to believe the Jets would not allow a bullying situation (then again they shouldnt have let it get to this point at all) but a lot of people dont understand locker room politics and I find it distasteful drawing the comparison to bullying which is a very serious issue.

I dont like how some are framing this as "bullying".  We dont know for sure everything that happened but firstly Id like to believe the Jets would not allow a bullying situation (then again they shouldnt have let it get to this point at all) but a lot of people dont understand locker room politics and I find it distasteful drawing the comparison to bullying which is a very serious issue.

Teaching your kids to be whiny ******* is a serious issue. What happened in the room can definitely be considered bullying, by today's standards (...f*** you, Glee...) but this is just the kind of thing that happens in locker rooms at pretty much all levels once you hit your teens. I saw this kind of stuff in hockey at 13 years old. It only gets "worse" from there if you don't learn to adapt. Bottom line: If you're a genuinely nice person who cares about your teammates and works hard every day, you're going to have a wonderful time with no problems whatsoever...

Teaching your kids to be whiny ******* is a serious issue. What happened in the room can definitely be considered bullying, by today's standards (...f*** you, Glee...) but this is just the kind of thing that happens in locker rooms at pretty much all levels once you hit your teens. I saw this kind of stuff in hockey at 13 years old. It only gets "worse" from there if you don't learn to adapt. Bottom line: If you're a genuinely nice person who cares about your teammates and works hard every day, you're going to have a wonderful time with no problems whatsoever...

Maybe Im too old to have grown up in the coddle phase of child rearing.  But unless its revealed that there was a clear pattern of this kind of behaviour towards Kane, its irresponsible to call it bullying. 

When I was in school, they actually had school-sponsored "hazing" that was "all in good fun". 

I've been in locker rooms where a jerk player would end up with wet clothes but it wouldnt be water...if you get my drift.  Im not saying its right.  I guess Buff could have just walked up to Kane and punched him in the face.

Maybe Im too old to have grown up in the coddle phase of child rearing.  But unless its revealed that there was a clear pattern of this kind of behaviour towards Kane, its irresponsible to call it bullying. 

When I was in school, they actually had school-sponsored "hazing" that was "all in good fun". 

I've been in locker rooms where a jerk player would end up with wet clothes but it wouldnt be water...if you get my drift.  Im not saying its right.  I guess Buff could have just walked up to Kane and punched him in the face.

I still had "Hazing Week" during the first week of school. Parents would FREAK now if they saw what went on even 20 years ago. I can remember the shampoo bottles being filled with "not shampoo" for certain guys in the locker room, but generally it's all in good fun. The people who get it worst are the ones who whine and *****. Take it like a man, and you become accepted.

Will someone please walk me through this.?

I dont know what is going on. Two dipshits on sportsnet were going on about it like there was a murder cover-up in the Jets dressing room.

Read original posts in this thread...tells you everything.

Will someone please walk me through this.?

I dont know what is going on. Two dipshits on sportsnet were going on about it like there was a murder cover-up in the Jets dressing room.

I still had "Hazing Week" during the first week of school. Parents would FREAK now if they saw what went on even 20 years ago. I can remember the shampoo bottles being filled with "not shampoo" for certain guys in the locker room, but generally it's all in good fun. The people who get it worst are the ones who whine and *****. Take it like a man, and you become accepted.

There have been things I dont agree with for sure.  But there's a difference between maliciousness and "ribbing".  I dont think crapping in someone's bag is very funny.  I think padlocking someone's bag to the ceiling is pretty funny though. 

So Kane battles through some tough injuries throughout the season - Paul Maurice commented on this a while back complimenting Kane on having a pretty high pain threshold - and now he decides to have season-ending shoulder surgery after the incident with the track suit.  Obviously not a coincidence.  Kane has decided to pack his bags and go home.  He has quit on the team.

Sadly between this, his previous attitude issues and his semi-frequent injuries, we will surely see a drop in trade value.  Before the general consensus for a commensurate value  would have been:

1. top-6 forward

2. first round draft pick

3. blue-chip prospect

Now, with these latest issues cropping up, I think the best we can hope for is two of these three:

1. Top-9 forward (with potential top-6 upside like a Michael Frolik-type)

2. first round draft pick

3. blue-chip prospect

No way they get all 3 of those now, even in the off-season when he will surely be traded.  Only way a 3rd piece gets added is if it is something like a player with little term left on their contract or a lesser prospect - instead of a blue-chipper a B or B+ prospect (Lowry-type or hopefully in the future, Kosmochuk or Copp).

This guy has all the talent in the world but has been a pain for years now. Some guys like Kane just don't grow up until it's too late. Look at how Sidney Crosby has handled his career, spotlight & pressure since he came to the NHL compared to Evander. Like night & day. 

and now he decides to have season-ending shoulder surgery after the incident with the track suit. Obviously not a coincidence.

The info I saw said it was the doctors who said he should have the surgery now.

Lawless asked hIs agent this exact question and the agent corrected lawless and said the doctor recommended it. Lawless said so Kane could have said no I'll keep playing through it and the agent said yes.

Zero doubt that Kane decided, after events of Tuesday, that he was no longer willing to play through an injury for the Jets.

I'll speculate and say Kane told the jets he was done with the team for good and chose now so he's ready for his next teams training camp.

and now he decides to have season-ending shoulder surgery after the incident with the track suit. Obviously not a coincidence.

The info I saw said it was the doctors who said he should have the surgery now.

Lawless asked hIs agent this exact question and the agent corrected lawless and said the doctor recommended it. Lawless said so Kane could have said no I'll keep playing through it and the agent said yes.

Zero doubt that Kane decided, after events of Tuesday, that he was no longer willing to play through an injury for the Jets.

I'll speculate and say Kane told the jets he was done with the team for good and chose now so he's ready for his next teams training camp.

None of us have any idea what the doctor said to Kane about the effects of playing through it versus having surgery now. For all we know he could have told Kane he risked making it much worse if he continued to play. So yes it was ultimately Kane's decision just like it is ultimately the decision of every person who has treatment options given to them by their doctor. The only fact we know is the doctor recommended it and Kane accepted his recommendation. 

There have been so many versions thrown around about what happened that God knows what the truth is. 

This guy has all the talent in the world but has been a pain for years now. Some guys like Kane just don't grow up until it's too late. Look at how Sidney Crosby has handled his career, spotlight & pressure since he came to the NHL compared to Evander. Like night & day. 

We all watched Crosby act like a whiny , petulant brat when he didnt get the calls he wanted.

Kane's shoulder popped out twice during the Jan 29 Philly game. Re-watch the game and you can see Kane on the bench in considerable pain, clutching his shoulder. Each time the shoulder pops out it creates more damage and the joint gets looser, increasing the possibility of long term damage.

I have no idea what happened, but it could be a coincidence on the timing of everything.

I don't doubt Kane needs surgery.  I don't buy this is the reason he missed the Vancouver game and this is the reason he decided to have the surgery now.

Lets be honest here, if he wanted surgery, there would have been discussions with team doctors, his concerns discussed and the surgery done.

He would NOT have missed the Vancouver game with the explanation of "a coaches decision".  

Something happened, whether you believe the reports about the clothes in the shower, the MIA until a phone call an hour before the game or not (I personally completely believe those  events), what we do know for sure is that he missed the Vancouver game with an explanation of a coaches decision.

And now he has elected to go for season ending surgery.  That isn't the usual way these things are done.  Something else happened here.

Well then it's the worlds biggest coincidence.

Or maybe he had already been scheduled to see the doctor when the team returned from that trip.

You can't possibly believe that. Come on.

My point is we don't know the facts.

the MIA until a phone call an hour before the game or not (I personally completely believe those  events), 

For me, the MIA story is the one I don't believe. If it had been in a different city it could have some truth to it. Personally I don't think he would have done that when his family and friends were going to be at the game.