Leafs @ Jets

Jacquie

How many of you were disgusted with Glenn Healey last night either pumping up the Leafs whenever he could or making excuses for them?? It was supposed to be a national broadcast & we were subjected to Leaf homerism the entire game. Healey's useless. And the Leaf err... HNIC studio panel has Byfuglien leaving maybe as soon as July as they think there's no way Winnipeg can re-sign him to an extension before 2016 even though we're $20 million under the salary cap.

I am glad someone else noticed this.   I only watched the first two periods but dear lord it was bad.     People claim Beyak is a homer but he's nowhere near as bad as those ding dongs were.  

They nit picked all the penalties ,  continually cried about Reimer being left out to dry and how he's a saviour,  continued to talk about each mistake the Leafs made... it was nauseating. 

Some TV exec gets a boner when he looks at Strombo. And doesn't get the same level of wood when looking at Ron.

I'm no MacLean fan but he's light years better than Strombo. Dumb decision. 

And Strombo should have headed stateside and taken Piers Morgans job. This was a step back for him IMHO.

Man & there's Ron MacLean on television tonight listening to a guy droning on about Owen Sound winning the Memorial Cup in 1924. "And there were 8,000 people there to meet the train. Kids were let out of school..." You could just see the OMFG look in his eyes as dude went on & on. Then MacLean ends the segment with an announcement that the guy will come to your school to lecture about the history of Owen Sound. This new assignment has to be killing him inside. 

Man & there's Ron MacLean on television tonight listening to a guy droning on about Owen Sound winning the Memorial Cup in 1924. "And there were 8,000 people there to meet the train. Kids were let out of school..." You could just see the OMFG look in his eyes as dude went on & on. Then MacLean ends the segment with an announcement that the guy will come to your school to lecture about the history of Owen Sound. This new assignment has to be killing him inside. 

No one forced him to take that . 

And everything you've said about Strombo, MacLean said he heard the same stuff when he took over from Dave Hodge.

No one forced him to take that . 

And everything you've said about Strombo, MacLean said he heard the same stuff when he took over from Dave Hodge.

Dave Hodge was a sportscaster who knew hockey & football as he used to be the voice of the Argos in the 70's before his HNIC gig. When Ron MacLean took over from the fired Dave Hodge, he didn't try to dress cool, act cool or be different from the people he worked on camera with. He was knowledgeable about hockey so he fit in quickly. We really don't know what Strombo knows about sports, especially hockey being on the entertainment side of the broadcast biz for years. I also don't think MacLean had a choice as Rogers would have fired him had he refused the new assignmment. I don't think he had much of a choice. Do you really think he wanted to give up his hosting duties to do what he's doing now? Somehow I don't.

Is Duthie popular? TSN decides who hosts & we just tune in. We, as viewers have no special engagement with the host or panelists as we don't decide them. If it was based on popularity, Rod Black would have been off CFL broadcasts years ago. 

They've turned the guy into a celebrity. He's probably the network's biggest personality since Jay & Dan left. Sportsnet also offered him a pile of money to take over Millard's duties there.

Black must have some fans, or they wouldn't keep bringing him back. As much as we might like to think so, a couple dozen fans on a message board don't speak for the general population.

Some TV exec gets a boner when he looks at Strombo. And doesn't get the same level of wood when looking at Ron.

I'm no MacLean fan but he's light years better than Strombo. Dumb decision. 

The problem with George is he's a great interviewer (doesn't have to know content) doing a moderator's job (needs to know content).

He's on a learning curve with obvious growing pains but if the network wants immediate results there will be less patience given. 

How many of you were disgusted with Glenn Healey last night either pumping up the Leafs whenever he could or making excuses for them?? It was supposed to be a national broadcast & we were subjected to Leaf homerism the entire game. Healey's useless. And the Leaf err... HNIC studio panel has Byfuglien leaving maybe as soon as July as they think there's no way Winnipeg can re-sign him to an extension before 2016 even though we're $20 million under the salary cap.

I am glad someone else noticed this.   I only watched the first two periods but dear lord it was bad.     People claim Beyak is a homer but he's nowhere near as bad as those ding dongs were.  

They nit picked all the penalties ,  continually cried about Reimer being left out to dry and how he's a saviour,  continued to talk about each mistake the Leafs made... it was nauseating. 

I was gonna mention this too, was brutal.  From saying Chiarot is a call-up from the IceDogs to the whole Kane is our leading goal scorer thing to making excuses left right and center for the leafs, it was painful to listen too. Glenn Healy is awful and even the announcers during the game were terrible, It's a shock to me when Gary Galley seems like the only knowledgable guy there. 

Is Duthie popular? TSN decides who hosts & we just tune in. We, as viewers have no special engagement with the host or panelists as we don't decide them. If it was based on popularity, Rod Black would have been off CFL broadcasts years ago. 

They've turned the guy into a celebrity. He's probably the network's biggest personality since Jay & Dan left. Sportsnet also offered him a pile of money to take over Millard's duties there.

Black must have some fans, or they wouldn't keep bringing him back. As much as we might like to think so, a couple dozen fans on a message board don't speak for the general population.

The things that annoy us, like him shrieking "WHAT A CATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  DID YOU SEE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" multiple times per game for anything slightly beyond routine, the higher-ups at CTV like.  They think his level of excitement influences the level of excitement and interest in the common fan.  And for a casual fan they are probably right.  They might get tricked into thinking an average game was a good one and a good game was a great one.

For the folks who are on the live-and-breathe-football side, it's annoying.  We know a great play when we see one, and we know when a guy who's best work comes when he's covering figure skating is overselling the product and demonstrating insufficient knowledge of the game in the process.

He's a good all-purpose sports guy for sports broadcasts.  I'd rather have a great football guy for the football broadcasts.

I was gonna mention this too, was brutal.  From saying Chiarot is a call-up from the IceDogs to the whole Kane is our leading goal scorer thing to making excuses left right and center for the leafs, it was painful to listen too. Glenn Healy is awful and even the announcers during the game were terrible, It's a shock to me when Gary Galley seems like the only knowledgable guy there. 

Purely speculation on my part, but Glenn Healey comes across as a guy who believes being a knob is a good thing and wears it as a badge of honor.

During the players strike for example, his true colors really came out. He was quite nauseating to listen too.