Oilers Fire Dallas Eakins

Atomic

Kane and Bogo for hall and eberle.

you adding trouba to that offer?

I know that's what they'd want it trouba is untouchable. If we are being serious and the oilers were willing to trade Hall for the studd d-man they want is go Bogo+ for him. I'd even consider Kane and Bogo for hall and a prospect or pick. Hall is very very good.

LOL

Why do you always want to trade guys?

This a sports forum. It's why fans do. I don't want to trade guys. I just have fun speculating. You know most teams in the NHL occasionally make trades right? ;)

Ok was just asking.

LOL...bet Kane would be seriously pissed if we traded him to the Oilers.

Hall is a flat out super star, if you want him start with something you absolutely don't want to give up then add to it. This is why he won't be traded. GMs on the hot seat don't get to trade super star players because it's bad asset management. The Oilers will let Todd Nelson run the team for the year and evaluate since they're already out of the playoff race. Expect to see a lot of players value increase and suddenly the goal tending issues aren't so critical because Dallas Eakins the destroyer of goaltenders is gone. Seriously spending time with Eakins "system" has seen every single goaltender the Oilers have brought in come out looking worse. 

Hall is a flat out super star, if you want him start with something you absolutely don't want to give up then add to it. This is why he won't be traded. GMs on the hot seat don't get to trade super star players because it's bad asset management. The Oilers will let Todd Nelson run the team for the year and evaluate since they're already out of the playoff race. Expect to see a lot of players value increase and suddenly the goal tending issues aren't so critical because Dallas Eakins the destroyer of goaltenders is gone. Seriously spending time with Eakins "system" has seen every single goaltender the Oilers have brought in come out looking worse. 

Or is it because the Oilers are trying to win with back-up goalies?

Both goalies have shown better in the past. Dubnyk, Bryzgalov, Fasth, Scrivens they all saw their numbers drop under Eakins. Bryzgalov Fasth and Scrivens all came in last year and looked real good, but time spent with Eakins killed them. It's quite apparent that a lot of people don't really follow the Oilers to see just how bad Eakins ****** that team up. 

Both goalies have shown better in the past. Dubnyk, Bryzgalov, Fasth, Scrivens they all saw their numbers drop under Eakins. Bryzgalov Fasth and Scrivens all came in last year and looked real good, but time spent with Eakins killed them. It's quite apparent that a lot of people don't really follow the Oilers to see just how bad Eakins ****** that team up.

I'm still laughing at the fact you said the oilers were making progress before Eakins.. What kinda progress? Most coaching failures? Most worst place finishes in their division? Lol.

I'm still laughing at the fact you said the oilers were making progress before Eakins.. What kinda progress? Most coaching failures? Most worst place finishes in their division? Lol.

How about the fact they had increased their wins and point totals every year? Their goals against had gone down every year... you know that kind of progress, the kind you expect to see from a rebuilding team. Your comment here only proves my point that people don't actually look at what was going on there and only see "LOL 3 first overall picks"

As bad as Jets fans thought Noel was as a coach,

Most Jets fans liked Noel.

His biggest mistake was that he decided to treat the professional players like professionals.  And after 2 years of expecting the players to demand excellence of themselves, he realized this group did not have a strong enough internal leadership.  But you can't sell whip-cracking after 2 years of not being a hardass.  The players don't believe it.  Maurice comes in and plays hardass from day 1.

There were a few other nuts and bolts problems, and Perry Pearn didn't do jack squat to help this team, but the players' lack of buy-in was the biggest issue Noel faced.

Nail Yakupov came in as a rookie and led the Oilers in goal scoring, led all rookies in goal scoring and was tied for the rookie lead in points.

Nail Yakupov has played 13 months of NHL hockey.  He scored 11 goals in the month of April 2013.  He has scored 21 goals in the other 12 months of his NHL career.  An average of less than 2 per month.  If you plot them out on a chart, picking out which month is the outlier would be pretty easy to do.

Is John Druce the greatest playoff performer in NHL history?  You have to be careful about forming opinions on small sample sizes when there a larger sample sizes that suggest otherwise.

I'm guessing if I was a teenager playing hockey in Russia it would be a pretty difficult transition.  Yakupov may have better days in front of him, but his progress so far makes it seem like his ceiling as a player might be where we thought his floor was.  And Eakins absolutely did not help his progress along.

I'll say it again, the team was making progress every year until Eakins was hired. He is the #1 problem with that team. 

Your definition of progress is looser than ours.  If they are landing the number 1 overall pick year after year after year, well it doesn't scream progress.

Eakins hadn't done anything to deserve to keep that job.  Number 1 problem?  Well he had nothing to do with the near decade-long shitshow that preceded his hiring.  Why was he hired in the first place?  The players reportedly loved Krueger and the team showed progress under him.  But McTavish decided Eakins was the greatest thing since sliced bread.  A stupid failure from upper management.  Eakins was nothing more than the latest example of what a colossal failure Oilers' management is.  Pretending he is the number 1 problem is the mentality that allows for Lowe and crew to get another 5 years to continue to mismanage the franchise.

And I have no problems with that.  Screw the Oilers.

I'd actually like to see what Maurice could do with Yak having spent time coaching in Russia and I believe he's expressed that he has a better understanding of what yung Russian players go through.  There was the belief that Maurice being here would result in Burmi coming back.  I wouldnt give up on Yak but he might need a fresh start.

Im not even sure I'd give up on Eakins as a coach.  He came in with a lot of hype and perhaps he believed his own hype.  He will learn from this and become a better coach.  But none of it changes the Oilers needed D and Centres and Goalies.  And maybe they have guys in the pipeline, but their top draft picks enabled them to be competitive right now if they had filled the other holes with even average NHL players.

I wanted to post that Yakupov stat about his hot end to his rookie season, but I didn't have enough time last night to find the actual numbers. I just remembered he had a crazy finish to an otherwise forgettable season, and hasn't come close to doing it again.

Well again we can look at the situation with Yakupov in his rookie year, Kreuger was sheltering him as best he could at the start of that season. 3rd line minutes limited opportunities and all that. His scoring streak started when there were some injuries and he got bumped up the lineup. Got to play with better players in more situations and thrived in the situation. Then Eakins came in the following year and basically treated Yakupov like he was the stereotypical Russian who was just lazy. Not the case, he was a kid who needed to be taught more than he needed the whipped cracked but it was a microcosm of what Eakins problem was. He didn't understand the players he had and didn't know how to treat them, but by the time he realized he was going about things wrong the team had already tuned him out and once that happens nothing will get them back. 

You're the king of terrible fantasy trades. You have a very high opinion of our players.

Not really.  But generally local fans under-value our players and over-value other players.  If someone wanted to discuss trading Kane (which I am on the fence about) one positive in the "for" column would be that he has a lot of value.  Fans in Winnipeg want to run him out of town and say he hasnt done anything and he sucks.  But he has a good contract, scored 30 goals and would see a large return.

Its hard to do a multiple superstar for superstar trade.  So yes, fantasy trades are fun to discuss.  Only around here do they get ridiculed.  its all fun and games.  As an aside, the prospect of Ehlers might be making Jets management wonder about Kane's future here... ;-)

Your definition of progress is looser than ours.  If they are landing the number 1 overall pick year after year after year, well it doesn't scream progress.

Yeah but when it comes to addressing the coaching problems with Dallas Eakins you can have a loose definition, especially when you consider the issues that Tambellini had as a general manager. 

The year they drafted Hall they were last place in the league by a country mile. There was no one else around them in the standings. The following year they were still in last place but only by a few points. That was a pretty significant increase in their point totals. The following year they were 29th in the league and not too far back of the teams that finished just ahead of them. I think people forget that because they won the lottery and got the #1 pick but it was again an improvement in their point totals, they had moved up the standings even if it was just one spot. The year after that was the lock out season, Kreuger got half a season against only western teams and the Oilers wound up finishing in 24th spot, their biggest climb up the standings. In all those seasons their goals against had gone down. Is that not pretty much what you expect out of a rebuilding team that was at rock bottom? Tambellini was pretty inactive as a GM, he made a lot of bad trades and his free agent signings were basically busts, he could add pieces in the draft but that's about it. So they fired him and the new GM comes in and actually appears to make better moves with trades and free agents, but he doesn't like the coach that got the most out of the group and hires the over hyped Marlies coach. Well Eakins comes in and destroys players confidence, wrecks the PP which was the teams biggest weapon and the goals against shoot up to the highest levels they had been even when the team was in 30th place. This season he was on pace for even worse goals against and on pace for the lowest point totals. 

No one is talking about a different coach being the difference between the Oilers being a poor team and a contender, let's clear that up right now, but it appeared that the Oilers were on their way to being one of those teams that could at least maybe be a bubble playoff team and not a basement dweller... until Eakins came in and took them right back to the bottom. No one thinks they get a new coach they jump to the top of the standings, but the roster isn't the kind of roster that should be 30th in the league, but with Eakins they are. They should at very least have a good PP but they don't, their PP is a liability. Look at the last time they played Arizona for an example of how bad the PP is. 

I said it before, Eakins was Tim Burke levels of bad as a head coach. People used to argue with me about Burke too but look how much of a difference was made when the Bombers got rid of that sad sack head coach. That's the kind of difference a new coach can make to Edmonton. The roster now is better than it has been at any point since they started this rebuild yet the results were by far the worst, that speaks to a coach that flat out sucks at his job. 

I said it before, Eakins was Tim Burke levels of bad as a head coach. People used to argue with me about Burke too but look how much of a difference was made when the Bombers got rid of that sad sack head coach. That's the kind of difference a new coach can make to Edmonton. The roster now is better than it has been at any point since they started this rebuild yet the results were by far the worst, that speaks to a coach that flat out sucks at his job. 

But the new coach of the Bombers also had a real qb to work with. The comparable with the Oilers would be the new coach having a legit goalie to work with.

I don't think Eakins did a good job, but you're over the top in your blame of him for all of their problems. The Oilers have a handful of good players and two handfuls of AHLers. I think the Oilers will get better with a new coach in large part b/c they quit on Eakins, so if nothing else there'll be more effort now.

The phrase "#1 problem" was used a little too liberally.  Eakins wasn't that.  He probably wasn't the solution either, so his firing doesn't sit one way or the other with me.

I'd actually like to see what Maurice could do with Yak having spent time coaching in Russia and I believe he's expressed that he has a better understanding of what yung Russian players go through.  There was the belief that Maurice being here would result in Burmi coming back.  I wouldnt give up on Yak but he might need a fresh start.

Interesting ideas re: Maurice and Yakupov.  Personally I wouldn't give up on Yakupov or think he needs a fresh start.  Just a dose of patience.  First overall picks are still individuals, and each individual will have their own pace and learning curve.  The Oilers appear to have mismanaged his development to this point.  If the Oiler fans and management can let go of the last 3 seasons of accumulated baggage, take a deep breath and reset back to zero, they might be pleasantly surprised 12 months from now.

Or he eventually becomes a second/third line player in Florida, and makes the 2020 list of TSN's 10 Greatest Draft Busts.  Who knows?

But the new coach of the Bombers also had a real qb to work with. The comparable with the Oilers would be the new coach having a legit goalie to work with.

I don't think Eakins did a good job, but you're over the top in your blame of him for all of their problems. The Oilers have a handful of good players and two handfuls of AHLers. I think the Oilers will get better with a new coach in large part b/c they quit on Eakins, so if nothing else there'll be more effort now.

But again, look at Devan Dubnyk, pre-Eakins he was .920 save %, post Eakins in Arizona he bounced back to .917%... just that one year with Eakins he was so bad and I'll tell you right now both Fasth and Scrivens are better fundamentally than Devan Dubnyk, yet their numbers dipped in the same manner under Eakins. Guy was implementing a system that gave up a lot of 10 bell scoring chances and it makes goaltenders look worse. It does a disservice to the roster to suggest that it's just the goalies playing bad. Every goalie has played bad because the system is flawed. 

The guy was a hack of a coach. He made every player on the roster worse, he made the team worse, much worse. He won't get another shot at NHL head coach for a long long time if ever. 

It's a mercy firing, Oilers aren't good, they have drafted poorly outside of top 10 picks and even one of those top picks seems to be a bust of sorts who doesn't want too or can't play a defensive game (yakupov)

All i have to really say is how many coaches are the oilers going to have to fire to make people realize it's not the coaches, it's the players and it's even above the players, it's the management, it's lowe, it's macT, it's the old boys club running things in to the ground.

Another coach gets fired by Edmonton, unless they make some moves with the team on the ice, another one will be fired again and the cycle will repeat itself until they actually do something about the team that actually goes out there to play.

Scrivens? Fasth, good goalies when they have talent in front of them willing to play the way you need too in the NHL to win games, people talk about the kings and other teams, well the biggest difference between those teams and the Oilers, outside of a whole lot of stuff, the biggest difference, the kings have a team that actually is willing to play D and not coast all night long. The oilers biggest problem is they are too small, too soft, they have neglected their D and their goaltending and they are run by guys who really have no clue what they are doing. How can you have that many top 5 picks and still be awful, it's not the coach that's for sure. It's above the coach. Order or Incompetence in Edmonton probably goes 1. owner 2. Lowe 3. MacT 4. Players. 5. Coach.

Another coach bites the dust and the roster stays the same. 

It's a mercy firing, Oilers aren't good, they have drafted poorly outside of top 10 picks and even one of those top picks seems to be a bust of sorts who doesn't want too or can't play a defensive game (yakupov)

All i have to really say is how many coaches are the oilers going to have to fire to make people realize it's not the coaches, it's the players and it's even above the players, it's the management, it's lowe, it's macT, it's the old boys club running things in to the ground.

Another coach gets fired by Edmonton, unless they make some moves with the team on the ice, another one will be fired again and the cycle will repeat itself until they actually do something about the team that actually goes out there to play.

Scrivens? Fasth, good goalies when they have talent in front of them willing to play the way you need too in the NHL to win games, people talk about the kings and other teams, well the biggest difference between those teams and the Oilers, outside of a whole lot of stuff, the biggest difference, the kings have a team that actually is willing to play D and not coast all night long. The oilers biggest problem is they are too small, too soft, they have neglected their D and their goaltending and they are run by guys who really have no clue what they are doing. How can you have that many top 5 picks and still be awful, it's not the coach that's for sure. It's above the coach. Order or Incompetence in Edmonton probably goes 1. owner 2. Lowe 3. MacT 4. Players. 5. Coach.

someone else who doesn't watch the team play comments I see. You know what the #1 problem with the oilers is right now? No goal scoring. They can't score enough to win games. If they happen to give up a goal on a mistake which happens to every team in the league they can't get it back. Yakupov has made big strides defensively, trouble is he can't score. 

I am telling you Eakins crushed the offense of that team and the confidence as well. 

People agree that Renney and Kreuger didn't get a chance before failing and were fired simply due to impatience, but no one is saying Eakins didn't get a fair chance. He made the team worse and that's all on him. People would have been happy if the team had kept progressing. No one is under any kind of delusions about the roster, but Eakins did so many things wrong it is a true wonder he lasted as long as he did. 

Oh i watch the oilers, they were my fav team prior to the Jets coming back, I watch them and follow them quite often, when i can. They aren't good and there problems are far more deep than just who the  coach is. Believe what you like, but it's pretty obvious it's the players on the ice. They can't score? guess that's the coaches fault. 

someone else who doesn't watch the team play comments I see. You know what the #1 problem with the oilers is right now? No goal scoring. They can't score enough to win games. If they happen to give up a goal on a mistake which happens to every team in the league they can't get it back. Yakupov has made big strides defensively, trouble is he can't score. 

I am telling you Eakins crushed the offense of that team and the confidence as well. 

People agree that Renney and Kreuger didn't get a chance before failing and were fired simply due to impatience, but no one is saying Eakins didn't get a fair chance. He made the team worse and that's all on him. People would have been happy if the team had kept progressing. No one is under any kind of delusions about the roster, but Eakins did so many things wrong it is a true wonder he lasted as long as he did. 

One could speculate that the reason for this was he was Mac T's hire and he kept hoping it would turnaround for his sake as a GM in his second go-around with the Oilers.

According to Mac T, even after letting him go, believes Eakins is an excellent coach but something had to be done. Firing the goalie coach didn't have any immediate impact.

Dallas Eakins also feels mutual admiration for Mac T by suggesting if any one can turn this team around, it will be him. Yikes.

By Eakins saying he/they did their best with the players they had available supports the post that suggested he sounded like Tim Burke approach in assessing how he did as a head coach.  

Apparently it's just time and patience needed.

If you believe some of the radio reports out there coming from Edmonton, really who knows as we are not in the room so we are all just guessing but a few of the players do seem to be the problem, taylor hall being one. Apparently he is being shopped, attitude issues, not really willing to buy in to systems and the sorts, sulking around lots.. Ferrence a few weeks back called out some players for sulking lots, he was talking about a few of the younger guys I'm sure. Just watching the Oilers, i see a team who doesn't really try their hardest every night, that's not just one or 2 players tho, that's a ton of them, most the roster really.

The culture of losing and it seemingly being acceptable is a problem for the Oilers.

Significant changes from the top on down need to happen to this team.