Oilers Fire Dallas Eakins

Atomic

Imagine if he was Canadian and the Oilers did this.  There would be a huge public backlash.

If he was going to be sent down, playing in the World Juniors would be better for him then just going back to his junior team.

What this looks like is that management has absolutely no foresight or vision or the ability to plan.  They should have known about the 40 game limit 2 - 3 weeks ago and decided to send him down in time for the tournament.  It looks like they woke up after New Years, looked at the numbers and realized that he needed to be sent down, instead of having this planned out a while back.  It reeks of mismanagement.

I'm sure this also leaves a bad taste in Draisaitls mouth that they denied him the right to play for his country.  You don't think it matters to him because he played in the tournament twice already?   Think of how a Canadian kid would feel if he got denied the right to play for his country and the club sent him back down to juniors two weeks too late.  It is things like this that eventually make a player want to leave an organization when they can with UFA.

Imagine if he was Canadian and the Oilers did this.  There would be a huge public backlash.

If he was going to be sent down, playing in the World Juniors would be better for him then just going back to his junior team.

What this looks like is that management has absolutely no foresight or vision or the ability to plan.  They should have known about the 40 game limit 2 - 3 weeks ago and decided to send him down in time for the tournament.  It looks like they woke up after New Years, looked at the numbers and realized that he needed to be sent down, instead of having this planned out a while back.  It reeks of mismanagement.

I'm sure this also leaves a bad taste in Draisaitls mouth that they denied him the right to play for his country.  You don't think it matters to him because he played in the tournament twice already?   Think of how a Canadian kid would feel if he got denied the right to play for his country and the club sent him back down to juniors two weeks too late.  It is things like this that eventually make a player want to leave an organization when they can with UFA.

He didn't want to go so I wouldn't worry about that. 

Did you know that rather than going back to Prince Albert to start the year if he'd been sent down Draisaitl would have gone to play in Germany? That's not best for his development. Neither is going to a **** team in PA that hasn't developed anyone of note other than Draisaitl and Morissey. Guy was sheltered like nobodies business in the NHL, not like they threw him on a top line and demanded he carry the team. The NHL may not be a development league but players can develop in it. Especially guys with size like that who might pick up bad habits in the WHL where they're bigger and stronger then everyone and can just dominate that way. 

With or without Draisaitl Germany was going to be  a team that could likely have been relegated so for a few games where the team gets its ass kicked I dunno why people think it's such a great development tool. 

The Oilers make a lot of mistakes but not everything they do is terrible. I can recall talk early in the season regarding Draisaitl where it was talked about that the 39 game limit was more important than the 9 game one. 

LD was traded to Kelowna i believe so he probably would have played there until the world junior tourney. Regardless, They sent him  back down, probably should have sent him down before his 9 game set in there earlier in the season but the Oilers needed a center  badly. Mismanagement all around. Honestly, i'm an oiler fan and i Really think that team is being mismanaged badly and has been for some time. 

He didn't want to go so I wouldn't worry about that. 

Did you know that rather than going back to Prince Albert to start the year if he'd been sent down Draisaitl would have gone to play in Germany? That's not best for his development. Neither is going to a **** team in PA that hasn't developed anyone of note other than Draisaitl and Morissey. Guy was sheltered like nobodies business in the NHL, not like they threw him on a top line and demanded he carry the team. The NHL may not be a development league but players can develop in it. Especially guys with size like that who might pick up bad habits in the WHL where they're bigger and stronger then everyone and can just dominate that way. 

With or without Draisaitl Germany was going to be  a team that could likely have been relegated so for a few games where the team gets its ass kicked I dunno why people think it's such a great development tool. 

The Oilers make a lot of mistakes but not everything they do is terrible. I can recall talk early in the season regarding Draisaitl where it was talked about that the 39 game limit was more important than the 9 game one. 

I missed hearing/reading him say that, where was that reported?

LD was traded to Kelowna i believe so he probably would have played there until the world junior tourney. Regardless, They sent him  back down, probably should have sent him down before his 9 game set in there earlier in the season but the Oilers needed a center  badly. Mismanagement all around. Honestly, i'm an oiler fan and i Really think that team is being mismanaged badly and has been for some time.

Yeah we are happy to have him! We are already planning the Memorial Cup parade here.

Yeah we are happy to have him! We are already planning the Memorial Cup parade here.

Already one of the top teams in the WHL and then add Morrisey and Draisaitl... yeah that's not a bad team there. Saw Draisaitl had 2 points in his first game there, such a shame he was ruined as a prospect or he might have had 4. 

m not sure anyone is saying he WAS ruined playing with the Oilers.  But there are examples of players who were rushed to the NHL to their detriment.  On the other hand there are special players who are too good for junior but cant play for the AHL so they spend an extra year in Junior and it doesnt hurt them.  To me the risk in playing an extra year of junior is far less than the risk of stunting a player's development by rushing them to the NHL.  And from a business perspective, if a player isnt ready for the role the team needs of him, then why waste the time and money?

But it's the Oilers so I dont really care. lol

ehh the only player that might have been ruined by the Oilers is Yakupov and that was all Eakins not understanding the player. Hall and RNH were the only other ones to go directly into the NHL and they both worked out fine. Some people expect more from RNH but the job he's asked to do is a thankless one and since he's got the shoulder fixed he's fine. The biggest failing of the Oilers is their pro scouting because the veterans they've added have for the most part been lacking.