Bombers release Paul Swiston

gbill2004

I happened to sit beside him at the legacy dinner this week. Super nice guy and sounded like a hard worker. He had tremendous respect for Coach Wylie. Always disheartening to see our Cdn o-line depth shrink.

Maybe a chance he's back next season.

It is peculiar timing, so,

considering they stood by him all year, and it's unlikely Swiston will be picked up by another team, I'm sure they had a talk with him…about staying close.

At least I would think so.

Wondering what are your guys thoughts on him? I thought he was a good prospect. I expect to see him getting a shot somewhere. Is there something I'm missing here?

TEETH!

Sorry, I don't do the cheap Rider jokes very often; every once in a while I have to give in to those urges.

Hard to say.  The question isn't really why, he's never risen up to be more than a PR guy, the question is why now?  With 2 games left.  The PR used to shrink back down at some point before the season ended in past years.  I don't know if it still does under the new CBA.  If so, maybe he's just the lowest on the totem of all our PR guys.  If one of our reporters is smart enough to ask I'd imagine OShea will give an answer.

Yet another huge offensive lineman drafted by Mack who turned out to be useless.

He was ranked in the top 15 prospects by central scouting and was considered a decent steal in the 4th round.

HEY NO FACTS! Every other GM in the history of sports has perfect draft picks except dirty mack!

Yet another huge offensive lineman drafted by Mack who turned out to be useless.

He was ranked in the top 15 prospects by central scouting and was considered a decent steal in the 4th round.

HEY NO FACTS! Every other GM in the history of sports has perfect draft picks except dirty mack!

Sorry, sorry.  Won't happen again.

If it's any consolation...

None of the Olinemen taken after Swiston are still with any team, and a few taken before him are also yesterday's news.

Sorry, said I wouldn't do it anymore, all these nasty facts.

draft picks are crap shoots for sure, even in football where men (not boys like in the NHL) are drafted. Primarily, it is injury related. But C'mon, he passed on Nate Coohorn and drafted Jade Etienne (who chances are would have been there in the second round) and he drafted Pencer even though he already had a history of injuries. He also drafted Mulumba even though he had already committed to the Green Bay Packers. If history has proven anything, it's that guys like Mulumba are still available and picked in the 2nd/3rd round, especially if a team has multiple picks as they can afford to waste one on a hope and a prayer.

Mack could've done a lot better than what he did. Only saving grace (no thanks to Mack) is Etienne did bring us, eventually, Drew Willy. But he did not draft well, and I don't think he even fully understood the CFL draft. Walters does. 

draft picks are crap shoots for sure, even in football where men (not boys like in the NHL) are drafted. Primarily, it is injury related. But C'mon, he passed on Nate Coohorn and drafted Jade Etienne (who chances are would have been there in the second round) and he drafted Pencer even though he already had a history of injuries. He also drafted Mulumba even though he had already committed to the Green Bay Packers. If history has proven anything, it's that guys like Mulumba are still available and picked in the 2nd/3rd round, especially if a team has multiple picks as they can afford to waste one on a hope and a prayer.

Mack could've done a lot better than what he did. Only saving grace (no thanks to Mack) is Etienne did bring us, eventually, Drew Willy. But he did not draft well, and I don't think he even fully understood the CFL draft. Walters does. 

Just like he never did grasp the need for a good vet to rookie ratio.